Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chris__M on 14 Mar 2022
  • Seems like it is ages since I last posted here. Apart from a couple of comments, last year!

So what has been happening with me? I have to admit, I am a fair-weather griller. Although it has been known for me to go out and start the grill going on a bright sunny day with snow on the ground, that isn't the weather we have been having here in England... mainly wet, cold, wet, and very windy. Oh, and wet. So I've not been doing much on the BBQ front at all, in fact, the only time I've been stepping out in the garden at all is to clean up after the dog.

This means I know I am going to need to do a major cleanup/maintenance on the grills. No matter how much I scrape and scrub, 4 months is a long time, and there is likely to be something growing in there.  :puke:

In particularly, I need to do some repairs to my little grill - the Davy Crockett. This didn't get any use at all last year, what with my new Louisiana grill arriving. Last time I looked at it, the 12V socket on the back of the grill had signs of corrosion, and I'm planning to take the thing apart and wire in a permanent 12V cable, without a socket.

In the meantime, I have been making Fake-Q on my Ninja Foodi, which - with the notable absence of smoke - is a great little cooking machine. I've also been having some adventures with Sous-Vide (I have an Anova immersion cooker).

In personal news, I am now retired, at the grand old age of 63.  :) Official retirement age here is currently 66, but I decided to jump the gun. The company I've worked at for 20 years had recently been taken over, and although any changes so far have been benign, I'm past the desire to change. We parted amicably, and I may do some independent consulting for them sometime - they've told me to keep my work laptop, which is a good sign. Anyway, this means I don't get my State Pension for another 3 years, but I've got savings and have just moved my self-funded pension into accessible investments. I'm not rich, but I'm not going to starve either, even with what prices are currently doing.

I'm also handling the last few jobs (handling = paying someone to do them) to get my house into good order, so I will hopefully not have to worry about it for the next 10 years.

I thought to post today, because it is - against all forecasts - a fine sunny day outside. So I should be outside making a start on the grills, but my winter laziness hasn't abated yet. But if it is like this again tomorrow...

Anyway, hope people are keeping well. I've managed to avoid the dreaded COVID so far, although I have several friends who have come down with it. Thankfully they were vaccinated and boosted, so although it is still not something I would wish on anyone, they have managed to struggle through with it at home.
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 14 Mar 2022
  • Glad to hear you are OK.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 14 Mar 2022
  •  Thanks for the update Chris.. Glad to hear you have been well and joined the ranks of us retired folks..
  • #4 by pmillen on 14 Mar 2022
  • Finally!  Some good news from abroad.
  • #5 by Bentley on 14 Mar 2022
  • Post anything and everything.  I so seldom BBQ I would never post on her if that is all I posted.  I did a Brisket in the oven last night because it was so nasty outside!  This goes for everyone!
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 14 Mar 2022
  • Post anything and everything.  I so seldom BBQ I would never post on her if that is all I posted.  I did a Brisket in the oven last night because it was so nasty outside!  This goes for everyone!

I can understand the oven thing. Through the winter I usually use my little cookshack electric, I have it set up in the garage under a range hood vented outside. It, the griddle, sous vide and the instant pot get a lot of work.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 14 Mar 2022
  • Sounds like a good deal for you Chris, retire and still a good possibility of some work from home. It don't gt no better.
    Can't wait to see some of the things you make.
  • #8 by hughver on 14 Mar 2022
  • Welcome to the world of retirement. you will love it. Do all of the things that you love to do but did not have time.
  • #9 by 02ebz06 on 14 Mar 2022
  • Welcome to the world of retirement. you will love it. Do all of the things that you love to do but did not have time.

Retirement does have it's downside - You've got no excuse for ignoring the honey-do list.
  • #10 by Brushpopper on 15 Mar 2022
  • Glad to hear you are doing well Chris.  You'll enjoy being retired and the fun of finding excuses to not do the things you know you should ;D
  • #11 by Darwin on 15 Mar 2022
  • Congratulations on the retirement  :clap  now you can cook when you and the weather are on the same page. 
  • #12 by urnmor on 16 Mar 2022
  • I am glad all is well with you and enjoy your retirement.
  • #13 by Chris__M on 16 Mar 2022
  • This is my new(ish) indoor food toy, a Ninja Foodi.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I'd previously had one of their earlier models, but recently upgraded, and am passing the old one on to a friend.

Amongst other things, it: pressure cooks, slow cooks, bakes, steam bakes and air-fries. I think there is a yoghurt mode in there somewhere, and it can also be set up as a desicator.

Almost all my home-cooked meals have been done in it (or the previous model), for the last year. This new model even has a temperature probe, and it can be set to cook either to a time or an internal temperature.

So stuff I've cooked in it range from really simple stuff like frozen battered cod or haddock and frozen chips (fries), jacket potatoes, and stuff like that. A roast chicken is quick and easy to cook - start it in pressure cook mode, then switch to air-fry to crisp the skin. I've done pulled pork in it - not as good as from my grill, but pretty nice. You can also bake/roast with steam, and I've had good success with corned beef - first cooking the corned beef on its own, then recooking it with the full trimmings - cabbage, carrots and potatoes.

I've also baked bread and cake in it.

Essentially it is a small combination oven, with a heating element in the base, below the pot (for saute/frying/pressure cooking) and a fan oven in the lid (for air frying, baking etc).

Another picture, showing the inside (not my picture, nor my cooking!)

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #14 by 02ebz06 on 16 Mar 2022
  • I didn't want to spend that much for something I would not use a lot.
    So, Amazon had used ones at a considerable discount.
    Said it was "like new".
    Arrived with no manual, a part missing, a part that didn't go with it, and was filthy.
    Returned it.
    At least I learned to never buy something used from Amazon.
  • #15 by Chris__M on 16 Mar 2022
  • Oh, that's not good, agreed.

I already had (and loved using) an Air-Fryer. This basically multiplied the number of different things I could do with a bit of kit for the same counter-space. It also helped at a time when bad lower back pain (now much better) was making it difficult to get stuff out of my conventional oven.

Plus, I love a good gadget!  :D

But yes, it's probably not for everyone.
Pages:
Actions