Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Country Style Boneless Pork Ribs - what IT ?  (Read 486 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Country Style Boneless Pork Ribs - what IT ?
« on: March 14, 2022, 12:22:31 PM »

Decided it's time to start BBQing.  Temp is supposed to be 60-70 for next week to 10 days.

Took a package of the CS ribs out of the freezer, but haven't done them in years.

I think you cook them just like brisket or other pork ribs to the 200F vicinity, right ?

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Country Style Boneless Pork Ribs - what IT ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »

I think it depends on how you want to eat them.  They are often times a cut of pork shoulder although some have seen them as a cut of pork loin in their area.  I like to cube them and make pork shoulder burnt ends with them.  I think that last time I did them I smoked them for a few hours, got them cold again, vac sealed, sous vide, cold again, then onto smoker after mixing in bbq sauce.  I did that over a few days or a week as I was not in any hurry in between steps.  I (and those who were at the picnic I took them to) enjoyed them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 01:00:37 PM »

Based on Bar-B-Lew's response #6 (to my same question) in this thread, I cook them to the low 200° range.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 01:07:17 PM »

Thanks, that's what I though.  Just wanted to confirm.

Not going to cube them, but I like the idea.
I'm doing a rack of ribs at the same time, so after cooking, most the CS ribs will go into freezer in small meal size bags.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 01:10:15 PM »

Thanks, that's what I though.  Just wanted to confirm.

Not going to cube them, but I like the idea.
I'm doing a rack of ribs at the same time, so after cooking, most the CS ribs will go into freezer in small meal size bags.

They would make a great food as burnt ends for poker night  ;)
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 01:36:22 PM »

As mentioned, they seem to be cut from 2 different parts. I see them from loin and butt around me. I think it depends on cost they can get whole bone in loins or butts for.

I try to stay away from loin cut ones. If I do get them, they are done as a pork chop. Most of the time I buy butts and cut my own pieces out of what I have after cutting some pork steaks.

I will smoke them for 2 or 3 hours at 200 in  a pan most of the time, then dump it in the instant pot and do for 30 minutes to finish them season or some sauce if you like also. Depending what cooked out of them I may or may not add a bit of liquid to help with building pressure. They are also great
finished under the broiler or on a hot grill to help crisp up the fats.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 01:46:02 PM »

I looked at the label when I took them out of fridge.  It did say Pork Shoulder Country Style Boneless Ribs.

Rubbed them down, so will be ready for tomorrow.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 02:33:10 PM »

I used to rub almost all meats the day before and put in the fridge.  After putting it right on the meat and then throwing on the grill one time, I decided to quit the day before technique.  I didn't notice a difference other than less things to clean and more room in my fridge by not rubbing the day before.  Others mileage may vary.

Most of those techniques that I have seen people on TV use, I quit doing.  I could no longer tell a difference between their techniques that took extra time and cleanup vs applying rub right after pulling meat out of fridge and then putting right on an already heated to temp grill.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 04:01:44 PM »

I used to rub almost all meats the day before and put in the fridge.  After putting it right on the meat and then throwing on the grill one time, I decided to quit the day before technique. I didn't notice a difference other than less things to clean and more room in my fridge by not rubbing the day before.  Others mileage may vary.

Most of those techniques that I have seen people on TV use, I quit doing.  I could no longer tell a difference between their techniques that took extra time and cleanup vs applying rub right after pulling meat out of fridge and then putting right on an already heated to temp grill.

I think I started doing it the day before just because others did it that way.
Now less mess to deal with, and more free time on the day of the cook is the important thing.
Really helps when you have guests coming over and you have other things going on.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 04:16:01 PM by 02ebz06 »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 04:08:08 PM »

That makes sense in your case.

I usually use a black bus tub to apply rub and then wash it out in a big tub sink I have in the garage so it is pretty easy for me.  I could see where that is an issue managing that in the kitchen.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 08:27:25 PM »

I may be wrong, but I think that the ritual of seasoning the night before is because most seasoning has salt and the salt helps both moisture and flavor. Kind of like mini brining.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 09:01:35 PM »

I may be wrong, but I think that the ritual of seasoning the night before is because most seasoning has salt and the salt helps both moisture and flavor.

I think that's the case.  When the salt pulls moisture and it then reabsorbs, it pulls the other flavors somewhat deeper into the meat.

However, I don't have proof.  It's just what I think based on things I've read, and Lord knows, much of what I've read about smoking and BBQing is absolutely wrong.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 09:17:28 AM »

I like to season a few hours before I cook to let it dry brine.  I have a wooden table outside I season on so if and when I make a mess I don't have to worry about the clean up.  I need a good rain to wash it off pretty bad right now.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 03:17:45 PM »

For obvious reasons the spareribs finished first.
Had them with just rub, no sauce.

The Country Style finished about 10-15 minutes later.
Put sauce on them when they hit 190F.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 05:28:53 PM »

Looks like it all turned out very well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up