Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Me? (Innocent pets)  (Read 551 times)

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
Who Me? (Innocent pets)
« on: March 16, 2022, 12:36:10 PM »

Behold the defendent.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I was preparing a pork stirfry, and while the noodles were hydrating in boiled water, I popped upstairs with a basket of washing to put away.

10 minutes later, I was back down and ready to start. I drained the noodles, got together the various chopped or sliced veg, and then looked for the pork.

Where is the pork?

I went into the lounge, and there it was on the dog-bed. Dog meanwhile had disappeared into her crate, which is unknown outside of mealtimes and bedtime. She knew what she had done!

I examined the pouch of pork really carefully. I could see she had tried to open it, but the pouch was made of tough stuff, and she hadn't got in. So I washed it under the tap for a long while, then opened the pouch and started to cook.

It was a super pork stir fry, and Katie got none of it.

Then last night, I was having a simple meal - a small tray-bake pie, which was to be cooked from frozen, and some microwave rice.

Again, I turned on my multi-cooker to warm up, and popped upstairs. When I got back, the tray was on the kitchen floor and the pie - still frozen - was in the lounge. She had managed to chew off a corner of it, and was crunching it up in her lair. But the rest of the pie was going in the bin.

I've long been careful of not leaving food close to the edge of kitchen counters (or tables). But Katie seems to have got more adept at reaching stuff further back and scooting it within her grasp.

As it happens, it is all going to change. When I first got her, I had a dog-flap set in the kitchen door. Which is why she is allowed into the kitchen, as it is her route to the outside. But I have ordered, and am waiting for, a new door to my conservatory, in which will be a new dog-flap. When that arrives, the old flap will be taken out, and in future, the kitchen door will be shut behind me when I am not out there!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:38:21 PM by Chris__M »
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
Re: Who Me? (Innocent pets)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 12:36:37 PM »

Do you have an innocent pet?
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 01:21:24 PM »

I do, Tina is a 13 lb. Havanese and only stands 12" tall. She has been known to have jumped onto a chair and then onto the dining room table. But only to retrieve a toy, never when food was there.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 01:27:23 PM »

I had a similar experience years ago.
We had a Doberman named Baron.
I had steaks on a charcoal grill in the backyard and went into the garage for something.
Happened to look out, and there he was grabbing a steak off the hot grill.
I yelled at him and he dropped it on the ground and ran to his house.
We had one less steak to eat for that meal.
He got the steak a couple days later.  Didn't want to give it to him same day to put ant ideas in his head. Haha
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 02:35:16 PM »

I m sue anyone who has owned a dog has had similar experiences.  I have lost a turkey and a roast over the years

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 03:37:29 PM »

We had a toy poodle named Cheeta. Yes he climed like a monkey. I had could some steaks and set them on the counter, doorbell rang and came back and he was having
dinner
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 03:43:28 PM »

Just thought of another...
Neighbors across the street from me when I lived in Simi Valley, CA had a small dog and a 2 foot high chain link fence around the front of the yard.
The dog would climb the fence, go do his business in someone else's yard, come back, and climb back into his yard.
Was one of the weirdest things I had seen at the time.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 07:31:13 PM »

Oh, come, come Chris -- I must defend the dog in the dock.  All you have is some weak circumstantial evidence.  It could have been planted by a jealous doggy next door trying to get poor Katie in trouble.  You admit to a swinging dog door in the kitchen.  What about a wandering raccoon or a mischievous squirrel?  I submit there is simply not enough evidence for a conviction. :pig:

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 08:59:31 PM »

If our 7 pound Yorkie could get to the counter she would steal everything she could.  As it is she is constantly at our feet hoping for us to drop something.  She is extremely bad when something from the smoker is resting on the counter.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

urnmor

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 08:12:08 AM »

Let’s face it dogs can be great vacuum cleaners.  THey do a great job eating everything our children and grandchildren rop on the floor

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 08:56:48 AM »

Let’s face it dogs can be great vacuum cleaners.  THey do a great job eating everything our children and grandchildren rop on the floor

Anyone time my wife drops food on the kitchen floor she says, "Maci, clean up on aisle 4."
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 09:02:04 AM »

And I spend hours and hours working on "dropped treats" to get the pups to the place that they won't eat anything off the floor.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 04:26:26 PM »

Let’s face it dogs can be great vacuum cleaners.

The next Dachshund we have will be named Hoover.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

1MoreFord

• Using less gas.
  • Central Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 10:34:19 PM »

I used to have a 1/2 Boxer and 1/2 Chow who would audibly break wind and then look around as if he was trying to tell where that came from.
Joe

Falcon Mk V gas grill, OK Joe Longhorn - gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef SG24, Weber 22" OTG

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 04:36:05 AM »

Oh, come, come Chris -- I must defend the dog in the dock.  All you have is some weak circumstantial evidence.  It could have been planted by a jealous doggy next door trying to get poor Katie in trouble.  You admit to a swinging dog door in the kitchen.  What about a wandering raccoon or a mischievous squirrel?  I submit there is simply not enough evidence for a conviction. :pig:

The problem is that she incriminates herself. Either taking herself to her crate (which she normally only goes to for meals or bedtime) or she sits facing the wall, and won't look at me.

She knows!

(It's actually this behaviour that makes me laugh, and means I can never be annoyed for long.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up