Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by 1MoreFord on 17 Apr 2022
  • Making rice by the method on the package is an usually an exercise in frustration.

Try boiling rice in salted water like pasta until it is no longer crunchy.  Then strain thru a colander.  Leave the rice in the colander, put some of the water back in the pan, loosely cover the colander and steam the rice over the pan for a few minutes.  Then place in serving dish and fluff the rice.  This will produce the best, most separate grains of rice you have ever seen and with an hour or two of rest you can make fried rice the same day.
  • #47 by Darwin on 17 Apr 2022
  • Ask Uncle Roger how to cook rice.   :rotf:

Ask Google.
    youtube uncle roger disgusted by this egg fried rice
  • #48 by hughver on 17 Apr 2022
  • When growing up in southern Louisianna, we ate rice 4-5 days a week and because potatoes cost a lot more than rice, almost never potatoes. Being the second oldest of six children, I inherited cooking duties. My recipe for rice is 1 cup rice 1 Tbs. butter and 1 1/4 cup broth to complement the protein (i.e. Chicken, beef or water from boiled shrimp shells). Rinse rice, add everything to pot, bring to boil, cover and turn heat to low, simmer for 15 minutes, turn off heat and let steam for 15 additional minutes. Fluff and serve. BTW, rice was always served with an additive, gravy, beans, etc., virtually never just white rice. Back then rice was long grain local, but now I only use Jasmine rice.
  • #49 by elenis on 17 Apr 2022
  • That is something I want to try to cook.  Thanks for the tip on using day old rice.  Me and rice don't get along well.  I can't seem to master it.  I usually do boil in bag rice :-[

We never had good rice until we got a rice maker.  A real game changer.

You want a rice cooker that uses fuzzy logic and not one of the cheapo ones. My Zojirushi wasn't cheap, but I have been using it for 12 years now and it can hold rice warm for up to 48 hours. It is also awesome if you like steel cut oats because those and stuff like grits and all can potentially be a pain because I don't like having to baby them. With the rice cookie I have a porridge setting and it does it beautifully. I would actually like one of the induction models of Zojirushi but mine won't break and I can't stand the idea of getting rid of something that still works just because I want something better. (plus my wife complains about my number of kitchen gadgets)
  • #50 by Darwin on 17 Apr 2022
  • Hugh, same story for me.  It was always long grain, not sure of the brand name, Mahatma maybe?Rice usually cooked twice a day and the same method as you except for the fancy broth.  We always used water.  A few of my Asian friends have the fancy computerized Japanese rice cookers. $150+.  My rice cooker is a $20 Target special, I don’t eat much rice anymore.
  • #51 by BigDave83 on 17 Apr 2022
  • I usually make brown rice. i toss it in the instant pot. give about 1/2-3/4 inch water over the rice level and do 18 minutes then just leave it in there for a while while the pressure releases. White rice is usually done in 6-8 minutes.

Have never made fried rice.
  • #52 by hughver on 17 Apr 2022
  • Dave, I've got an insta pot but have never considered cooking rice in it, thanks for the idea and instructions. I'll now try it.
  • #53 by hughver on 17 Apr 2022
  • except for the fancy broth.  We always used water. 

You should try the broth, it makes a big difference.
  • #54 by Bentley on 17 Apr 2022
  • Rice has always been an easy cook for me. 2 parts liquid to 1 part rice, bring to boil, turn to low and cook 20 minutes.  Perfect every time.
  • #55 by Hank D Thoreau on 18 Apr 2022
  • We were going to cook hot pot for Easter but we ran out of time. We still had all the shaved beef, pork and chicken that had to be used so we cooked Mongolian BBQ.

This is the type of meat that Mongolian BBQ's use, but better quality. We get it at one of the local Asian markets.

As usual, an advantage to making your own is that you can cook the ingredients separately and then mix them. That avoids overcooking the more delicate vegetables.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #56 by BigDave83 on 18 Apr 2022
  • Hank, I don't know what all of that is but I would take a big plate of it.
  • #57 by ScottE on 18 Apr 2022
  • Rice makers are the way to go. It took me a long time to convince my wife that using it was better and more convenient than on the stove top - since she cooked it that way for years. The rice maker eventually won. :-)

That stir fry looks amazing!
  • #58 by 02ebz06 on 18 Apr 2022
  • Rice makers are the way to go. It took me a long time to convince my wife that using it was better and more convenient than on the stove top - since she cooked it that way for years. The rice maker eventually won. :-)

They are not that expensive either...
  • #59 by BigDave83 on 22 May 2022
  • No pictures of it but made a omelet this morning and then into a quesadilla thing for breakfast.

Was portioning and vac sealing a case of cheese steak meat and also a case of chicken cheese steak meat. Had 3 pieces left so diced up some onions and peppers and made chicken fajitadillas for dinner. First time trying this chicken, wasn't bad need to season well and not over cook it dries out quickly.

• #60 by Hank D Thoreau on 23 May 2022
  • I just picked up my new griddle today. I was having ignitor issues with my Blue Rhino Razor. I purchased a three year protection plan and they decided to replace rather than repair.

I think the problem is a safety interlock that shuts down the burners if they are not lighting.

The Razor is no longer carried at Lowes where my warranty is from. I ended up getting the Blackstone Culinary 4 burner with lid.

The lid is an interesting concept. I can see using it to steam vegetables in big stir fries.

I'll be able to see how the Blackstone and the Razor compare.

First chore though, is to put it together. I don't have a truck so could not get one that was already assembled. I also have to find space.
Pages:
Actions