Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by reubenray on 23 May 2022
  • I dug out my 17" Blackstone yesterday and did some sautéed onions and burgers.  It had been put away for the Winter.
  • #62 by BigDave83 on 23 May 2022
  • I just picked up my new griddle today. I was having ignitor issues with my Blue Rhino Razor. I purchased a three year protection plan and they decided to replace rather than repair.

I think the problem is a safety interlock that shuts down the burners if they are not lighting.

The Razor is no longer carried at Lowes where my warranty is from. I ended up getting the Blackstone Culinary 4 burner with lid.

The lid is an interesting concept. I can see using it to steam vegetables in big stir fries.

I'll be able to see how the Blackstone and the Razor compare.

First chore though, is to put it together. I don't have a truck so could not get one that was already assembled. I also have to find space.

I had originally been looking at the Blue Rhino, I started with a 17" Blackstone and wanted something larger but I didn't need 36". So I started looking for a 22" BS and then they come out with the Pro Series 28 one year for Christmas only available at Walmart. It was $200 but some Walmarts were selling them cheaper. I found one about a 40 minute drive away for 125 and ordered it online and went to pick it up.

I like the lid on it that was a big selling point, no need to cover it now and it should heat up faster with the lid down. I do lower it at times to cook also. The model I bought is about the size of a sheet of paper in sq in smaller than the normal 36" was and the price I couldn't beat even a 22" was over 150 at the time.

I did buy a 22" last Christmas to put the Baker Stone pizza oven on, I have not set it up yet, still using the pizza oven in my gas grill.
  • #63 by Hank D Thoreau on 23 May 2022
  • I really like the Blue Rhino Razor. I think it could have been fixed but it is probably cheaper for the warranty company to buy it out.

I would have gotten another if Lowes still had them.

I need a large size griddle. I made sure that the Blackstone I got had sufficient griddle space to do what I do on the Blue Rhino.
  • #64 by Brushpopper on 24 May 2022
  • Hank, have you tried looking for parts or a solution for the Blue Rhino since you liked it?  Although I think you will like the lid on the Blackstone also.  I am glad I have one on mine.
  • #65 by Hank D Thoreau on 24 May 2022
  • Hank, have you tried looking for parts or a solution for the Blue Rhino since you liked it?  Although I think you will like the lid on the Blackstone also.  I am glad I have one on mine.

I have not looked for parts. The problem is that my outdoor kitchen is my primary cooking area. We have taken folks into our house and we share a kitchen with three households.

I simplified things by moving my cooking outdoors. I do most of our cooking on either the griddle or my smoker.

I'll still do smaller cooking jobs, like individual breakfasts in our kitchen.

Also, I have an extended warranty. I would probably pay more for parts than replacing the griddle. It still works. I just have to be careful lighting it so the burners don't shut down.

An example is that I light the first two burners which shut down while trying to light the third burner. This is why I think it is the safety shutdown. The igniters not working correctly is causing safety shutdowns.

When it first occurred, I could not get the griddle to relight and had to move my food to the kitchen.

There is a safety interlock built into the unit.
  • #66 by Hank D Thoreau on 24 May 2022
  • I spent a few hours today in the heat assembling my new griddle. So many bolts. Sooooo many bolts. Getting a few to line up was a pain.

By the time I was done, I was too tired and hungry to fire it up and season the griddle.

I had completely blown through lunch and it was near dinner time, so my wife and I went to Jamba Juice and got Island Pitaya bowls.

Sometimes you need a little fruit on a hot day.
  • #67 by BigDave83 on 25 May 2022
  • Did they take your old one for the warranty or just give you a new unit.

I remember putting mine together a bunch of bolts and then for some unknown reason some of the bolts they already installed and I had to take them out to put on whatever went there. I spent some time looking for these bolts they were in the holes the whole time.

If they left you keep it you could pick up one of these. I bought one with a adjustable regulator and a gauge for my small 22" I want to put the pizza oven on.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hose+and+regulator+for+propane+tank&crid=9PL07OVB97D1&sprefix=hose+and+regulator+%2Caps%2C91&ref=nb_sb_ss_mission-aware-v1_1_19
  • #68 by heffneil on 25 May 2022
  • I spent a few hours today in the heat assembling my new griddle. So many bolts. Sooooo many bolts. Getting a few to line up was a pain.

By the time I was done, I was too tired and hungry to fire it up and season the griddle.

I had completely blown through lunch and it was near dinner time, so my wife and I went to Jamba Juice and got Island Pitaya bowls.

Sometimes you need a little fruit on a hot day.

There is a lot of assembly on these things.  It can be annoying but so worth it.

To the original question I do a lot of breakfast - its fantastic for it! I do french toast dipped in corn flakes, bacon, sausage, potatoes and eggs.
  • #69 by BigDave83 on 30 May 2022
  • Made a little Spam and Eggs and some over night yeast pancakes for the GF. Recipe from Chain Baker on YT. She was a bit hesitant when she saw them before being cooked, said they had a different taste, had the griddle to hot and they got a little over browned, she ate them all. The overnight ferment left them with a slight bit of a tang, not really much of a yeast flavor. I will make them again.

• #70 by Hank D Thoreau on 10 Jun 2022
  • I've been doing a lot of fish and zucchini lately. The picture below is milk fish from the Asian market. I didn't like it as well as the barramundi I did a few days earlier, or the "can't fail" tilapia.

Barramundi was very good. It has enough oil in it to keep it moist and flavorful.

I also cooked some cut up chicken thighs to make rice bowls with for lunch.

This is my new Blackstone Grill. I am getting is broken in. My eggs stuck on the first use after following Blackstone's seasoning directions and their special blend seasoning oil.

My Blue Rhino Razor did not have this problem.

The jury is still out on the Blackstone. So far, I prefer the grill surface on the Razor. It is smoother and I got a better season.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #71 by BigDave83 on 02 Aug 2022
  • The GF wanted tacos so that is what I made.

Seeing the zucchini, reminds me the little farm not to far away  probably has some. Going to go tomorrow to find out. 
  • #72 by BigDave83 on 08 Aug 2022
  • Burgers tonight, 73% about 3.2oz average. These didn't turn out bad, Used the spatula to smash but it was not built for that so they could have been flatter.

Did some dogs on the roller, the GF needs it for work on Friday so I needed to dust it off and make sure it works, have to dig out the nachoo cheese warmer yet.

• #73 by Bentley on 08 Aug 2022
  • Oh man, 7-11 dogs, now that is sweet!
  • #74 by BigDave83 on 08 Aug 2022

I bought that about 15 years ago, boredom, and ebay were not a good combination back then. That is how I got the nacho cheese warmer also. almost owned a cotton candy and a snow cone maker.
  • #75 by yorkdude on 09 Aug 2022
    Agree a roller dog is awfully hard to beat.
Pages:
Actions