Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ScottE on 21 Mar 2022
  • I decided it was time for an upgrade. After picking the RT-590 as the perfect pit for me, I ordered an RT-1250.  :)

I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks if it was a good decision, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I'm done fighting with my cheap Camp Chef, and unfortunately the Savannah Stoker controller didn't improve things. Looking forward to trying out the Rec Teq!
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 21 Mar 2022
  • Congrats on the new grill!!!   :cool:
    Show us some pictures when you get it.
    I put a Savannah Stoker on my CampChef vertical smoker and it helped with the what the RTD says temp is and what the temp was at the grate.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 21 Mar 2022
  •  
     Cooking should be a pleasurable experience. The RT should get you there.
  • #4 by ScottE on 30 Mar 2022
  • Thanks for the comments. I agree that cooking on pellets should be fun, and I don't think I'll be disappointed in the upgrade. The pit arrived yesterday. This thing is beastly.

So far, I only had time to do the bake in - first cook tonight. I really like the 3 RPM auger upgrade, even on a windy, lightly raining day it got up to 400 very quickly. Even when running the auger at 100%, the Camp Chef struggled to get there. I have a gas grill for anything above 400, but do have cooks where I prefer the pellet grill around 400, so being able to actually get there in a reasonable time is great.

A couple thoughts on why I chose the RT-1250 over the RT-590 I originally intended - mostly, it was the upgrades in the RT-1250 over the RT-700 that pushed me that way. I knew I was going to want a front shelf, included on the RT-1250, and then the 3 RPM auger and cast deflector are great upgrades. One thing I didn't like about the RT-590 is the rear slot vents versus a chimney stack - a previous Louisiana Grills/Country Smoker had rear slots and I didn't like the arrangement at all. The extra rack in the RT-1250 is nice, but I won't be using it too much, because I won't need to.

BTW, I don't think it's officially announced yet, but a new model of the RT-590 called the RT-1070 is coming. From what I understand, it gives the RT-590 the same upgrades as the RT-1250 over the RT-700 - so could be a really great choice.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 30 Mar 2022
  • Very nice!!!
  • #6 by Canadian John on 30 Mar 2022

•  Off to a good start I see.  Enjoy the heck out of it ScottE.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 30 Mar 2022
  • Now to keep it all shiny and new looking. Hope to see some great things made  in it.
  • #8 by ScottE on 31 Mar 2022
  • Now to keep it all shiny and new looking. Hope to see some great things made  in it.

Uh oh! Too late on keeping it looking shiny and new! That is a downside to stainless steel. Anyway, I got the first cook under my belt last night.

I'll post a pic and more details later, but I'm very very impressed with the recteq so far. I'm calling this my first grown up pellet grill.
  • #9 by MP09 on 31 Mar 2022
  • Lookin Good!
  • #10 by ScottE on 31 Mar 2022
  • For the first cook I just did basic chicken thighs - 275 for an hour, then 450 until 165 internal. We don't eat the skin (I know, that's the best part!), so I didn't crisp them at searing temperature. They turned out great.

Dislikes of the RT-1250: I'm not a huge fan of the single piece rack. I understand it for the top rack, but the bottom rack is huge! It will be hard to wash this in the kitchen sink. That's my only dislike so far.

I am extremely impressed at how quickly this thing starts, gets to temp, then drops in temp on temperature adjustments. I haven't yet verified temps with an independent thermometer, but below is a graph from the app.

It's nice once again having a pellet grill that I can just turn on and cook. With the Camp Chef and Savannah Stoker it would take me about an hour to get the thing stable enough to cook on, which wasn't fun. Now it's fun again. Yay!

I'm using the same mix of Lumberjack and Pit Boss pellets that I've been using in the Camp Chef - I now know for sure that my Camp Chef issues were not the pellets, because they've been working fine in the RecTeq. I did get 240# of RecTeq brand with my order, but I'll burn up what I have first.

That's about it. All in all, an excellent experience, as it should be. Maybe I'll get around to posting up some of my favorite recipes here. Pork Tenderloin is dinner tonight.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 31 Mar 2022
  • Chicken looks great!!!  FYI - I don't eat the skin either.  ;D
Pages:
Actions