Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: You know you have a problem when...  (Read 1446 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
You know you have a problem when...
« on: March 21, 2022, 02:54:05 PM »

You buy meat just because it's on sale.
Got two pork butts today.  $1.29/lb.
I have 6 in the freezer now.   ???   I see a lot of pulled pork sammies this summer.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: You know you have a problem when...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 05:45:22 PM »

You’re not alone, I’m taking advantage of as many pre-summer deals as I can. Both freezers are pretty jammed right now. Mine is mostly steaks and roasts though after the beef prices last couple years and good sales recently.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 06:08:04 PM »

If you happen to have some Cure 1, a bucket and something to inject with. brine cure one or two of them. They make nice hams and I will just black pepper and garlic powder the outside once cured and smoke like I would for pulled pork. You end up with pulled/shredded ham. I nice change from pulled pork.

I use 1 gallon of water
1.5 Tablespoon of Cure 1
1/2 Cup Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar.

Mix it all well in the bucket. I inject as much as I think I can get in it. If you don't have an injector a place like tractor supply has large syringes and 2 or 2.5" needles that work well and last time I bought them they are fairly inexpensive.
 Put it in the  bucket of brine and use a bag of water to hold it under put lid on. I usually stash mine in the garage fridge for anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks, I have gone longer but never shorter.

This is my version of Pop's Brine, if you search for Pops Brine you should be able to find it. His uses a little less Cure and more sugars.

I have one in a bucket now, probably will go 4 or 5 weeks until I decide to do it. I think it has been 2 so far.

I picked up some icing buckets from a local bakery, they had lids with them. they may be 2/3 the height of a 5 gallon bucket. I can usually get 2 butts in there with my gallon of water.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 06:18:18 PM »

If you happen to have some Cure 1, a bucket and something to inject with. brine cure one or two of them. They make nice hams and I will just black pepper and garlic powder the outside once cured and smoke like I would for pulled pork. You end up with pulled/shredded ham. I nice change from pulled pork.

I use 1 gallon of water
1.5 Tablespoon of Cure 1
1/2 Cup Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar

Mix it all well in the bucket. I inject as much as I think I can get in it. If you don't have an injector a place like tractor supply has large syringes and 2 or 2.5" needles that work well and last time I bought them they are fairly inexpensive.
 Put it in the  bucket of brine and use a bag of water to hold it under put lid on. I usually stash mine in the garage fridge for anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks, I have gone longer but never shorter.

This is my version of Pop's Brine, if you search for Pops Brine you should be able to find it. His uses a little less Cure and more sugars.

I have one in a bucket now, probably will go 4 or 5 weeks until I decide to do it. I think it has been 2 so far.

I picked up some icing buckets from a local bakery, they had lids with them. they may be 2/3 the height of a 5 gallon bucket. I can usually get 2 butts in there with my gallon of water.

Thanks for the idea Dave.  Never dawned on me.
I have all those ingredients, bucket, brine bags, injector...
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 08:15:27 PM »

I kind of figured most people on here would have most of the stuff, Cure 1 maybe not. I kind of like it better then pulled pork. Makes good ham BBQ. which may be a western PA thing.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 02:23:33 PM »

You could make sausage and hot dogs.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 02:25:04 PM »

Yes, I need to make some brats again.
Hot dogs wouldn't be bad either.
Thanks

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 03:00:06 PM »

You are going to have to make another trip to the market for more with all  of the ideas you have now.

I like to also grind and season with some cure 1 and then stuff into a 19-21mm casing and just hang in the fridge to dry out some. usually for me 10 to 14 days is good. Now I have a nice stick to eat. Since they are small using cure 2 wouldn't work because it would take to long for it to work.

I also just like to make ground pork burgers. or at times mix ground pork with my ground chuck for burgers and meatloaf.

I'm cheap so if I can add in  $1.50/pound stuff into my $6.00/pound ground chuck and make it go a little further I will do that.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 03:13:02 PM »

I have some cure #2 also.  Eventually want to get into Charcuterie, but $$$.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 04:51:16 PM »

You can cut what is left of the coppa off one. and get a start. I use the Umai bags. I like to do pork loin I forget what that is called Lonza maybe.

Just made me think of buckboard bacon. Just so many uses for butts.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 04:58:54 PM »

You can cut what is left of the coppa off one. and get a start. I use the Umai bags. I like to do pork loin I forget what that is called Lonza maybe.

Just made me think of buckboard bacon. Just so many uses for butts.

It's nice that they are inexpensive.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 09:48:20 AM »

I just came to revisit this to thank you for this recipe, it is fantastic, I have a new favorite way to prepare pork shoulder/butts.   Just bought some more on sale and have 2 in the brine.

I use 1 gallon of water
1.5 Tablespoon of Cure 1
1/2 Cup Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar

Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 01:28:04 PM »

I did one I had in my brine for probably at least 8 weeks, things just kept coming up and it didn't get made. Turned out well, although because of time it ended up getting sliced instead of shredded. Whole different flavor than store bought ham.

If you use fine powdered seasoning, like garlic, onion powder or others spices in that form you could mix into your brine and it would get in the meat through the injection process as long as your needle was large enough for it to pass through. I have never tried but I bet you could make a flavored stock from whatever vegetables you wanted and add that to the brine also for a different flavor profile.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 02:39:04 PM »

Any noticeable flavor or saltiness difference between 3 weeks and 8 weeks?   
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 07:23:07 AM »

Any noticeable flavor or saltiness difference between 3 weeks and 8 weeks?

Not more than normal for me.
It is relatively low salt anyway. i put 1/3-1/2 cup of sea salt in so say 100 to 150 grams. Had a 9 pound butt with gallon of water is around 7700 grams.
So even at the 1/2 cup of salt it would be 2% give or take a little. which is right close what I would do for a dry cure.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up