Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: You know you have a problem when...  (Read 1445 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: You know you have a problem when...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 11:44:23 AM »

If you happen to have some Cure 1, a bucket and something to inject with. brine cure one or two of them. They make nice hams and I will just black pepper and garlic powder the outside once cured and smoke like I would for pulled pork. You end up with pulled/shredded ham. I nice change from pulled pork.

This is your tried and true recipe for ham-like pulled pork.  But, based on the thread title, it may not be easily found by others who may be searching for something new and different.  Consider posting the recipe and S×S process elsewhere.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 09:06:56 PM »

If you happen to have some Cure 1, a bucket and something to inject with. brine cure one or two of them. They make nice hams and I will just black pepper and garlic powder the outside once cured and smoke like I would for pulled pork. You end up with pulled/shredded ham. I nice change from pulled pork.

This is your tried and true recipe for ham-like pulled pork.  But, based on the thread title, it may not be easily found by others who may be searching for something new and different.  Consider posting the recipe and S×S process elsewhere.

I posted it here a while ago, not sure where it should be, I guess it could be moved.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6428.0

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2022, 01:47:34 PM »

Well I've done it again.
Baby Backs were on sale, so picked up two at $2.99/lb for the freezer in the garage.

Have gone through the cooked meat in the inside freezer, so need to cook some to fill it back up.
I took a brisket out of the freezer, so gained a little room in it for the ribs.
Should be thawed and ready to cook Sunday, maybe Monday.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2022, 02:04:29 PM »

I thought about going to Sam's to pick up a pack of ribs to make this weekend since I am off Fri-Mon.  I decided it was best not to go since I probably would have spent another $100+ while there on things I didn't immediately need.  I pulled a pork shoulder, 4 chicken breasts, and 4# of sausage out to cook instead.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2022, 08:36:19 PM »

I posted it here a while ago, not sure where it should be, I guess it could be moved.

You were way ahead of me.  And, now, I recall that post.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2022, 08:46:19 PM »

Thanx for the S×S.  It's in my recipe file and set at high priority.

The simple act of recipe posting has an ongoing effect.  The members here who have posted their recipes rather than just saying, "Here's what I cooked" have enriched my life and made me a bit of a family celebrity.  I probably don't adequately thank them.
Paul

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2022, 09:12:16 AM »

[/quote]

Thanx for the S×S.  It's in my recipe file and set at high priority.

The simple act of recipe posting has an ongoing effect.  The members here who have posted their recipes rather than just saying, "Here's what I cooked" have enriched my life and made me a bit of a family celebrity.  I probably don't adequately thank them.
[/quote]

There are a lot of good recipes in the sections.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2022, 10:16:26 AM »

Big Dave or anyone else that can help, I just removed 2 butts from my brine after 6 weeks for a weekend cook.   The brine had gotten kind of slimy and the butts had a clear slime on them as well.   They don’t have an off odor or anything but I’m concerned.   I am confident that they were kept below 40 degrees the entire time, but I just never had this happen before, granted I also never brined anything this long before so not sure if it’s normal or a concern.   Like I said they smell and look fine once rinsed.    Any experience with this?
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 11:19:12 AM »

what did the brine look like. It was probably a bit cloudy. My understanding is this is from the salt and the proteins being pulled out of the meat. If no smell even after rinsed and you are sure your temps were good the whole time in the brine I would just continue on.

I have had cloudy thick brine a few times, usually when I leave them go longer than normal. My normal is 3-4 weeks for butts. I have had then in the brine for up to 8 or 9 weeks with no issues. 

Osborn Cox

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2022, 01:14:10 PM »

what did the brine look like. It was probably a bit cloudy. My understanding is this is from the salt and the proteins being pulled out of the meat. If no smell even after rinsed and you are sure your temps were good the whole time in the brine I would just continue on.

I have had cloudy thick brine a few times, usually when I leave them go longer than normal. My normal is 3-4 weeks for butts. I have had then in the brine for up to 8 or 9 weeks with no issues.

Yes it was a bit cloudy, but not too bad.    I did a little research elsewhere too and it seems like it should be OK.   I’m planning on smoking them on Saturday, if they still smell fine then I’m going for it.   Thanks for your input!
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2022, 05:10:08 PM »

Can't wait to see how they turn out for you.

Osborn Cox

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2022, 10:32:14 PM »

They turned out really good, got rave reviews from everyone.   

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2022, 07:17:53 AM »

They turned out really good, got rave reviews from everyone.

Awesome.

It is a nice change from the normal pulled pork, for me anyways. I used to make pulled pork and I would do some of the pulled ham for my customer appreciation days. People didn't know which one they liked better.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up