Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 27 Mar 2022
  • They are made with potatoes or flour?
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Mar 2022
  • They are made with potatoes or flour?

If you are asking about the dough, some are just flour while others are flour and potato.
  • #18 by elenis on 27 Mar 2022
  • I like to try to go to get some pierogies when I am up near Cleveland as well. Probably the best I ever remember eating was a large one that I remember my brothers and I shared when we were younger when we were with our dad at a flea market. It was just a potato and cheese one, but it was so good and crispy and came with sour cream to dip it in. A weird thing to remember so fondly, but something that has stuck with me for probably 30ish years now.
  • #19 by urnmor on 28 Mar 2022
  • Great looking food
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Mar 2022
  • These are the local pierogies that most of us think are the best we have ever had.  It has a thicker dough than most and a potato and sharp cheddar filling.  I just made these in the air fryer.  They weigh 2oz each.  Mrs T's which is a semi national brand made about 90 minutes north west of me are probably closer to 1.0 to 1.25 oz each.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #21 by elenis on 01 Apr 2022
  • These are the local pierogies that most of us think are the best we have ever had.  It has a thicker dough than most and a potato and sharp cheddar filling.  I just made these in the air fryer.  They weigh 2oz each.  Mrs T's which is a semi national brand made about 90 minutes north west of me are probably closer to 1.0 to 1.25 oz each.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Those look so much better then Mrs. T's.
  • #22 by Bentley on 01 Apr 2022
  • I think I understand now...usually a wheat flour based, dim sum type dumpling, that can be filled with virtually anything, but tradition usually calls for a potato filling of some kind?  Are they pan fried or boiled?
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Apr 2022
  • I think I understand now...usually a wheat flour based, dim sum type dumpling, that can be filled with virtually anything, but tradition usually calls for a potato filling of some kind?  Are they pan fried or boiled?

Tradition is usually potato filling with a cheese typically.  I'm seeing more and more with fruit filling, meat filling, sauerkraut filling, etc.  Really whatever you want to fill them with.

How they are prepared is up to the individual.  Some boil only.  Some boil and then finish with pan fry.  Some pay fry for entire cook.  Some deep fry.  Some air fryer.  It depends on how you want your texture and to some degree flavor with butter or oil if you do something other than boiling.
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Apr 2022
  • Those look so much better then Mrs. T's.

They are much better, but they run $7-$9 a dozen which is 2x-3x that of a box of Mrs T's.  I've had worse chain store bought pierogies than Mrs T's so they are a good fall back.  And, they have some unique flavors sometime too.
Pages:
Actions