Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ham. Pulled Pork, and Meatloaf  (Read 493 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Ham. Pulled Pork, and Meatloaf
« on: April 11, 2022, 09:50:39 AM »

I've had a pork butt in a brine for two weeks (lower left pic) so now it's time to smoke it and see it magically turns into ham. Got my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed.
Since there all that room I decided to throw another pork butt in to make pulled pork.  Now I have to make some hoagie rolls for sandwiches.
And Bentley's meatloaf got me wanting one, so I put a meatloaf in as well.  Bought sliced green olives for pizza, but decided to add some to the meatloaf.
Ham and meatloaf should come off at IT of 150 and other butt will be in there until it hits 203 IT.
Smoking at 180 for an hour, then will go to 275.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
Re: Ham. Pulled Pork, and Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 10:28:40 AM »

It all looks like the making of some good eats.

Was going to do my butt I have i the brine over the weekend but that didn't work out, so maybe this weekend.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 02:04:40 PM »

Meatloaf was done for lunch.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 02:46:52 PM »

I love a meatloaf with a smoke ring.  Meatloaf was Bentley’s suggestion to me when I asked what my first Fast Eddy PG500 cook should be to demonstrate to Marcia that it was worth the money.  I cooked one that she loved; she now wants all of them smoked.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 03:42:44 PM »

Second is done.  Pulled the ham at 150, about 5 and 1/2 hours.
Great color and tastes really good.  I'm pleased with my first attempt at this.
Next time it will be with an actual uncured ham.  They have less fat and stringiness in them.
I had 6 of these in the freezer and they are cheap, so thought it would be a good choice to experiment with.
Remaining butt will probably be done about 7:30 tonight.  Put it on about 7:30 this morning.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 04:12:08 PM »

Both look great so far. for the ham it seems to be about how one cuts it. If I do one for slices, I usually cut out or off the bone portion. Then just have a nice boneless part that I will slice on the long side if that makes sense. 90° to the money muscle may make better sense.

I have not cure a back leg portion in a long time. Usually just do the front picnic shoulder or the butt.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 04:32:01 PM »

This was kind of floppy butt.  I had to tie it all up, so I knew going in it wouldn't look like the nice slice we think of when we think of ham, but I'm OK with that.
 Next one will be better.
Too bad I don't have a spiral cutting machine. Hahahahaha

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 05:00:35 PM »

Looks a little better on the other end.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 05:42:39 PM »

Wow, is that all it takes to make a ham - through a shoulder in a brine for a few weeks and then smoke it?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 06:14:38 PM »

Yup, that was it. Just flip it over in the brine every day.
Canadian Bacon same thing. 6 days in brine, then smoke it. Use Pork Tenderloin though.
I'm kinda psyched about this.  Will have to check pork belly prices Wednesday (shopping day). may have to make some bacon.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 06:22:01 PM »

Canadian Bacon same thing. 6 days in brine, then smoke it. Use Pork Tenderloin though.
I'm kinda psyched about this.  Will have to check pork belly prices Wednesday (shopping day). may have to make some bacon.

Was it a good ham flavor?

I like dry curing bacon and Canadian style bacon. I prefer it over a wet brine. For doing butts I like the wet because I need to inject. I have not done CB out of tenderloins usually just loins.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 06:36:49 PM »

Was it a good ham flavor?

I like dry curing bacon and Canadian style bacon. I prefer it over a wet brine. For doing butts I like the wet because I need to inject. I have not done CB out of tenderloins usually just loins.
It was a good flavor, Don't quite know how to explain it, but I guess I'd say it is a little milder than store bought ones.
Also, I think I will cut back on the salt a little. wasn't overpowering or anything, but I think a little less will be better.
I guess that's what experimenting is all about...

I might try the dry curing as well.
Have a curing chamber on the way, supposed to get here Thursday, but the way Fedex has been recently, probably not.

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 07:41:13 PM »

o2, from the pics you nailed it.  Mouth is watering as I am reading, and seeing, each pic.  Niche!  Thanks for sharing your experiment..... Frankenstien it is not!!!

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 08:43:33 PM »

I say dry cured as in just a non wet brine cure. Mix up my percentages of cure 1, salt sugar and spices. Then just rub into the meat well vac seal and stash in the fridge for usually at least 10 days.

I want to build a chamber but, just not sure It would get used as much as I need it to be.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 08:48:40 PM »

I justified buying mine so I can make pepperoni and won't have to buy it for pizza anymore.    :rotf:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up