Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Clean? Griddle or Grates?  (Read 569 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: How Clean? Griddle or Grates?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 09:07:56 PM »

I have the Memphis genie and the tool that Bruce has.  I rarely use either.  I usually only clean the grill once a year.
I'm too OCD to do that. At the least, I scrape the grates after every cook. Also vac the innards after 5-6 cooks, esp. long ones.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2022, 09:43:13 PM »

I don't recall ever having a lot of ash build up in the firepot of the Memphis like other pellet grills.  I'd be interested to get your opinion on what you see in your new one.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 08:01:55 AM »

I'm using LJ 100% Hickory at present. It produces more ash than I like, so I usually use Hickory Blend. LJ 100% pellets have Bark as well and produce more ash. As soon as I get this one used up (bought it by mistake) I'll get back on blends.  I get much less ash from them.  Will then give you better idea.  I thought the fire box was pretty full after the rib cook on the current pellets. I did note however, that there was not hard ash or other pellet pieces present. Very efficient.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 09:19:34 AM »

All three of the Memphis grills I have or had would have a fare amount of ash in the burn pot after long cooks (pork shoulders, briskets, etc.).
I always vacuumed after those.  For short cooks I'd wait for a couple cooks to clean, but sometimes even clean after them.
Most likely, the thought of ashes flying around and landing on the meat prompts me to clean more often than necessary.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 11:13:46 AM »

Maybe it is cookinpellets that I use that do not create as much ash as other brands.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2022, 11:27:54 AM »

Maybe, I've always used Lumberjack.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2022, 12:17:17 PM »

I put about 4 layer of foil on my drip tray on my DB. I poke holes in the foil from the imprints from the drip tray. Just pull a layer off when it gets crusty. I will take the grates to a car wash and clean them. 

okie smokie

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2022, 12:22:41 PM »

I put about 4 layer of foil on my drip tray on my DB. I poke holes in the foil from the imprints from the drip tray. Just pull a layer off when it gets crusty. I will take the grates to a car wash and clean them.
Now that I have small grates, I can just soak them in the washroom sink over night. There are 4 of them on the bottom, also 3 longer ones on the upper shelves. Usually once a year, if at all.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up