Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting ready for Holy Week and Easter  (Read 559 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Getting ready for Holy Week and Easter
« on: April 13, 2022, 03:53:55 PM »

It seems like spring is taking its time getting here. In this neck of the woods the snow has finally disappeared (for the most part). Yesterday at 5:17 p.m. an area Lions Club was able to officially declare a winner in their contest to see when an ice shanty would fall through the ice on a local lake, thus declaring the waters officially "Open"! This means Easter cannot be far behind.

This year I am making food for Maundy Thursday and the Sunrise Service on Easter. I did the same thing last year, but will try and tweak a few things.

On Thursday I am not trying to recreate any kind of a meal or do a Seder supper. My plan is to have a few different finger foods that people can try. As of now I am planning on doing small portions of lamb/beef kofta with a yogurt sauce on mini pita bread. There will also be some veggies, hummus, and feta cheese on the side. 

We are doing an outdoor Easter Sunrise Service at 6:30 in the morning. Right now it looks like it will probably be very cold, but dry. I have always figured anyone who goes to church that time of day should have steak and eggs for breakfast! Last year, to keep serving simple, we made breakfast burritos. They turned out to be very good, so we will do try same thing this year. However, i will be using a thinly sliced rib roast instead of a New York Strip.

Happy Easter!

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Getting ready for Holy Week and Easter
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 04:25:50 PM »

Being retired, I lose track of holidays.
Only 3 that I actually know exactly when they are, and that's because they fall on a specific date.  Jan 1, July 4, and Dec 25.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 08:44:03 PM »

No Bitter Herbs...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 10:38:33 AM »

Last Saturday Hawkeye and I participated in a "Stations of the Cross" walk here in Culpeper. Happy Easter.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 08:11:34 AM »

Sorry Bentley, no bitter herbs, just a little food to help stimulate discussion around our Lenten journey.

Kristen, the stations of the cross can be very moving. I really like it when services can be outside. Last night, part of our service was going to be outside, but it was too cold and windy. It looks like the Sunrise Service is trending toward an indoor service too.

The kofta was a hit. It was about 50/50 beef and lamb. I mixed in minced parcely, onion, and red pepper. I seasoned the meat with a little salt, pepper, dried mint, cinnamon, cumin, and probably a couple of others that I cannot think of today.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 01:05:13 PM »

Looks really good. It looks like the sauce in a couple of the containers is hummus? Did you scratch make it or buy? I found a really good Israeli hummus recipe I make, and while I don't like most hummus because of the texture, this one has a wonderful texture. It is also really good warm fresh after making it.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 02:49:42 PM »

Did you scratch make it or buy? I found a really good Israeli hummus recipe I make, and while I don't like most hummus because of the texture, this one has a wonderful texture. It is also really good warm fresh after making it.

I cheated and bought the hummus. It has been a long time since I've made it. This was actually quite good, but I think you are correct about the homemade version being better. I also had fetta cheese to go with it. There was supposed to be a yogurt sauce, but I grabbed vanilla yogurt rather than Greek. Not sure how well that would work. On the side there was a veggie tray, grapes, small pita bread, pita chips, and grape juice.

If you care to share your hummas recipe I would be interested in giving it a try.

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 10:53:30 PM »

I cheated and bought the hummus. It has been a long time since I've made it. This was actually quite good, but I think you are correct about the homemade version being better. I also had fetta cheese to go with it. There was supposed to be a yogurt sauce, but I grabbed vanilla yogurt rather than Greek. Not sure how well that would work. On the side there was a veggie tray, grapes, small pita bread, pita chips, and grape juice.

If you care to share your hummas recipe I would be interested in giving it a try.
[/quote]

This recipe comes from one of my Milk Street cookbooks. I get asked to make it somewhat often because it is that tasty and if you can get into it while it is still warm all the better. My understanding is that in Israel a fresh homemade hummus is something a lot of people enjoy as part of their breakfast.

227 grams of dried chickpeas (small work best)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sesame tahini at room temperature
3 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice

In a large bowl combine 8 cups water, the chickpeas and 2 tablespoons of salt. Soak for at least 12 hours.

In a stockpot over high heat bring another 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil. Drain the soaked chickpeas and add to the pot. Return to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook until the skins are falling off and the chick peas are very tender, 40-50 minutes.

Reserve 3/4 of a cup of the chickpea cooking water and then drain the chick peas into a mesh strainer and give them a minute to let all the liquid drain. Then add all the chickpeas to a food processor and the teaspoon of salt and run the food processor for 3 minutes. (the amount of time they will be in the food processor or blender overall is going to seem like a really long time, but it is important for getting the proper texture to the hummus)

Add the tahini to the processor/blender and blend for an additional minute. Use a rubber spatula to scrap the sides and bottom to ensure everything is mixed well. Then turn the machine back on and slowly add the reserved cooking liquid and lemon juice until fully combined. Then you can taste and add more salt if you need to.

Beyond that you can move it to a serving bowl and add whatever flavors you like. Lots of people like to drizzle a nice extra virgin olive oil over it and sprinkle a little chopped parsley, ground cumin, and ground paprika over it, but whatever additional flavors you add, or if you like it as is, is up to you.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 12:43:02 PM »

This looks like a great recipe, elenis, but I fear that it won't be seen as often as it might have if it were posted in the <Recipe><Vegetables> section.  (Or maybe another sub-section.)

Please consider copying and pasting it there.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 10:49:38 PM »

The Easter breakfast burritos are assembled. I smoked a 3.5 rib roast and thinly sliced it. Cooked 3 lbs. of onions with 2 lbs. of mushrooms; scrambled 5 dozen eggs, but it was probably about 2 dozen more than needed. There were a couple of women that helped. You can't get better help than church ladies in the kitchen. One of them rolls the best and tightest burrito I have ever seen.

We wrapped the burritos in foil and will heat them up in the oven during the church service. We are not going to be outside this year because it is SNOWING and 23 degrees outside, with gusty winds. Where is spring when you need it????

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 10:54:40 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 07:21:00 AM »

Looks fabulous JD, wish we lived closer so we could worship with your church.

He is Risen!!!!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 08:43:49 AM »

Indeed.  He is risen.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 10:17:26 AM »

All of it looks fantastic. I am sure the folks in your church are glad you chose to move there.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 12:54:53 PM »

Looks fabulous JD, wish we lived closer so we could worship with your church.

He is Risen!!!!

Thank you and Amen!

The breakfast was good, however my wife's cinnamon rolls went over the best (as well they should)!!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up