Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ElkRiverGal on 16 Apr 2022
  • Hi, everyone!  I am in Northern Alabama between Florence and Huntsville AL.  Living on the water just begs one to get out and cook.  Right now I am looking for a pellet grill to replace a Pit Boss I have now. I have a Big Green Egg and a Weber charcoal grill as well as the problematic Pit Boss.  Almost forgot the  Blackstone griddle!  I'm looking forward to learning more about the pellet smokers and proper maintenance and operation as well as cooking ideas. 

If you have 2-3000 dollars, maybe 4000, what would you buy?  I've been looking at Rec Tech and Fast Eddy's PG500 (that sells for about 2400 dollars).  Any recommendations on what your next smoker might be?   I had issues with burn back through the auger and burning in hopper (if I had not been watching it), an electronic board replaced, and new auger motor that hasn't worked correctly do to a split metal where the auger attaches to the motor.

• #2 by 02ebz06 on 16 Apr 2022
  • Greetings and welcome to the forum.
    I think the Memphis Pro and the Memphis Beale would fit in your price range. If you were to step up to the Elite model (larger) you'd be over $5k.
    They have a different design than other pellet grills and burn back, auger fires, and hopper fires are virtually non-existent.
    At least I don't know of any others with their design.  There was one, but they are out of business now.

Probably would be better to ask you questions in the "What pit should I choose?"  section here  -->  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?board=55.0
     Best of luck with your search.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 16 Apr 2022

•  Welcome to our group Elk River Gal!

Of the pits you have mentioned I would opt for the PG 500. USA built with a good reputation. I do not own one. I worked up from a Traeger to a Memphis Pro that I have owned for a few years now. It's

exceptional.

I like to cook, not fix & service. That may be something to put on your list of things to consider.

• #4 by okie smokie on 16 Apr 2022
  • Memphis Beale Street is $2299 and you can get all the extras except the direct flame savoriszer at that price. I think that the other models are all higher than $4000. I'm new to the Beale Street, but like it so far. Less likely to have auger fire, since it is a pellet dropper instead of auger tube in the fire pot. Only a 12 lb pellet hopper is the only con. But to me that is not very significant. Easy to add pellets if you are going to cook over 12-18 hrs on low. Also you have to build the bottom cabinet but easy to do. Before that I had a recteq 590 and it was really a good value and worked well. Also, stainless like the Memphis.  At $999 it is a great buy and holds up well. The PG500 is also a great pit, hand made in Oklahoma but has no Wifi as yet but very versatile with a direct flame area and offset smoking areas as well. All stainless as well. Lots of experience on this site. Wish you well and welcome!
  • #5 by ElkRiverGal on 16 Apr 2022
  • Thanks for the welcome and all the info given so far are for pellet smokers I haven't researched.  I'll do some reading but thanks for the suggested search topics, too.  I'm new to forum membership - in an active way, always reading them- so any advice is welcome. 

• #6 by Bentley on 16 Apr 2022
  • If you grill more then smoke, my vote is PG500.
  • #7 by reubenray on 17 Apr 2022
  • I got a SmokinBrothers PP36 about six months ago and I am very happy with it.  These are made in Missouri.  I still have my Traeger Junior ad GMG Daniel Boone, but I plan on selling one of them.  I have not used them since getting the PP36.
  • #8 by pmillen on 17 Apr 2022
  • Welcome to PF.

You've been getting good advice on pit selection.  I've only used a Fast Eddy PG500 so I really don't know how it compares to other pits, but it has an advantage that's not been mentioned—the fire is not under the grease tray, so the likelihood of a grease fire is dramatically reduced no matter how much grease builds up on the tray.  It also makes smoke at almost any temperature if you get familiar with the adjustments.  And, it, too, is a pellet drop design so there's less likelihood of fire creeping up the auger.

I suspect that you'll be happy with whatever you choose.  Even a poor pellet pit is better than not having one.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 17 Apr 2022
  • I note the PG500 went from $1750 last year to $2350 this year with no apparent change in the model. Quite a hike.???
  • #10 by ScottE on 17 Apr 2022
  • I just purchased a ReqTec RT-1250, at the bottom of your price range, and I couldn't be any happier with it. It's very well built and has an excellent controller, though much larger than I really need (this model has some really great upgrades). I looked at the MAK, FEC, or Yoder that I've always wanted, but in the end chose the RecTeq with no regrets (except for the factory cover). As others have stated, any pellet burner is better than none, as long as it's working right. Good luck on your research and purchase!
  • #11 by Brushpopper on 17 Apr 2022
  • Howdy from South Central Texas.  It is usually very humid here but I have never had any issues with pellets swelling up because I keep my Pitts & Spitts grill in my barn and roll it out to cook.  That's another U.S. made grill for you to look at also.  I suggest keeping your smokers inside until you are going to use one.
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 17 Apr 2022
  • Welcome to the family.

My choices if funds allowed would be Mak 2 star or the cookshack pg1000. Although there are several others out there as well worth a look. Living on the water I would be tempted to go with a good all SS cooker I believe.

Not sure what issues you have with your Pit Boss, most issues with them seem to be there controllers. So if you like what you have a simple swap to a different brand controller like Pellet Pro/Smoke Daddy, Savannah Stoker or the Grilla Alpha would be good places to start. If you go that route also buy the RTD to go with the controller.

I have only had 3 pellet cooker, started with a RECTEC, then bought a GMG and then a Vertical Pit Boss. The RECTEC was my least favorite, it wouldn't heat up high enough to grill and didn't really smoke at low temps. The GMG is way better in my opinion on both. The Pit Boss I swapped the controller for an old Pellet Pro I had bought used off the old forum.

Hope you find one you like and it works well for you.
  • #13 by Canadian John on 17 Apr 2022
  •  
     Another thought.  HANDS ON.  If you are able to see pits in action that you may be interested in & talk to the people using them that should help eliminate some surprises.  Things to check on would be start

up, cooking low & high temperatures, shut down AND: cleaning up. How easy is it? How long does it take? Frequency?     Then there are : Problems encountered & support.
  • #14 by ElkRiverGal on 17 Apr 2022
  • Thank you all for the wealth of information.  Great info and advice.  So far, Ive only looked at the specific grills but can't wait to get into the cooking and recipe ideas.  As I've mentioned, I have never posted on forums but read a lot on the BGE Egghead, fresh and salt water aquarium forums and southeastern football forums.  If I break etiquette, I apologize up front! 

I was close to buying the Fast Eddy PG500 but I'm now happily diving into the pellet grills mentioned here.  I'll let everyone know what I decide. 

Every season is pellet season!
  • #15 by TravlinMan on 18 Apr 2022
  • Welcome to the group from SW Michigan. 

As with many here, I moved up through different brands of grills - then I ended up getting bit by the ‘pellet grill’ bug.  I have enjoyed the journey greatly. I still have a few in my ‘stable’ and use each of them fairly often.  I ended up deciding on the Memphis pro - because of reviews here - and found one on a good close out sale - pre-Wi-Fi model.  It is our favorite go to grill.  It just works. Consistent, reliable and well built. (USA built - pre china). My deciding factors at the time - USA made, Stainless, double walled/insulated, pellets drop into fire chamber - instead of angered in - virtually ended possibility of burn back, etc.

At the time - my choices were narrowed down to the Memphis series, the Mak line, and the Fast Eddy’s PG 500 and PG 1000. Again I chose the Memphis Pro because it was available semi-locally, on clearance sale(pre Wi-Fi) with the accessories and cover.

Best wishes on your quest, its been a tasty journey here..  :bbq: :lick:
Pages:
Actions