Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to cook a prime rib roast  (Read 365 times)

azwine

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
  • Ain't no accounting' for stupid!
Time to cook a prime rib roast
« on: April 17, 2022, 01:50:30 PM »

How long should it take to cook a prime rib roast?

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Time to cook a prime rib roast
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 01:57:32 PM »

Depends on pit temperature and whether or not it's boneless.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 08:56:35 PM »

My last couple I put on the smoker at the smoke setting for a couple hours and then moved to a sous vide bag for 24 hours at 132 degrees to get the texture I want and then put it on the blackstone at about 600 to get the sear I was looking for on all the surfaces. Apparently I just really enjoy making a mess.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 09:01:22 PM »

That sounds like a good plan to me.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 12:36:08 PM »

I'm sure that you know that you should cook to the finished internal temperature you want, but if you need a time estimate in order to match the side dishes' delivery, don't worry about the roast finishing early—it will hold just fine if only just foil tented.  If you need to hold it for longer, use the foil, towel, cooler method.

Since IDK if it has the bones, what the weight is, or what doneness level you want, here's a starting point.  We can provide specificity if you do.

At 350°F, a  boneless 4 to 6 pound prime rib roast will cook to medium at 18 to 20 minutes per pound.  A 3 to 4 pound roast will cook to medium in 23 to 30 minutes per pound.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 01:00:49 PM »

I'm sure that you know that you should cook to the finished internal temperature you want, but if you need a time estimate in order to match the side dishes' delivery, don't worry about the roast finishing early—it will hold just fine if only just foil tented.  If you need to hold it for longer, use the foil, towel, cooler method.

Since IDK if it has the bones, what the weight is, or what doneness level you want, here's a starting point.  We can provide specificity if you do.

At 350°F, a  boneless 4 to 6 pound prime rib roast will cook to medium at 18 to 20 minutes per pound.  A 3 to 4 pound roast will cook to medium in 23 to 30 minutes per pound.

Smaller takes longer ?
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »

I go with 45 minutes/# with grill at 250-275.  I do like the sous vide method.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 01:31:51 PM »

Smaller takes longer ?

That looks like it's the case until you factor in the additional pounds which result in a longer cooking time.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 02:54:20 PM »

Smaller takes longer ?

That looks like it's the case until you factor in the additional pounds which result in a longer cooking time.

Makes sense. Just seemed weird looking at the numbers.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Jon515

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 07:53:35 PM »

I started searing mine, then moving to smoke 180-200 until at 125, then vacuum seal and sous vide the day I want to serve it at 123 degrees.  I like not having to worry about the time.

elenis

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 08:10:05 AM »

I started searing mine, then moving to smoke 180-200 until at 125, then vacuum seal and sous vide the day I want to serve it at 123 degrees.  I like not having to worry about the time.

When you sous vide at 123 your doing it for less then 4 hours I hope. The minimum temperature to kill salmonella and fun things like it is 131 degrees for an hour. At 123 your just putting the meat in the danger zone.
Mak 2 Star General #1799
Pages: [1]   Go Up