Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 02ebz06 on 17 Apr 2022
  • Wondering if anyone has an electric smoker ?
    Been thinking about getting one as they can smoke as low as 100 degrees.
    Most I've seen that you have continually load smoke chips. Masterbuilt for one.
    Bradley has a stacker you load their hockey puck wood biscuits in, but then you have to buy those from them.
  • #2 by WiPelletHead on 17 Apr 2022
  • I have a Bradley 6 rack digital. Really wouldn't recommend it unless adding a PID controller from Auber Instruments. The temperature control that is on it is pretty poor. 50 to 70 degree temp swings are pretty common. I see they have a new 4 rack with a PID controller built in and I would think that should be better. But some reviews mention temp swings also. The pucks are a bit pricey but did work well.
  • #3 by Brushpopper on 17 Apr 2022
  • I had a Masterbuilt years ago that I gave to my BIL when I got my first pellet grill.  It was a pain to feed wood chips into it constantly.  I've been thinking about getting a new one that uses charcoal and wood chunks but that cheap screw gene kicking in still.  Hoping to find a used one.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 17 Apr 2022
  • The Smokin-It electric smokers are very nice, and you can add on a cold smoker attachment that uses pellets.
    Only drawback I see is price.
  • #5 by Darwin on 17 Apr 2022
  • I have a 30” master built electric that I purchased for cold smoking.  It works fine for that and small items.  Feeding it is a pain but it worked when I used it that way.

For cold smoking I use a pellet tray with the mailbox mod. 
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 17 Apr 2022
  • I have a 30” master built electric that I purchased for cold smoking.  It works fine for that and small items.  Feeding it is a pain but it worked when I used it that way.

For cold smoking I use a pellet tray with the mailbox mod.
    Had to Google that Mailbox mod.  Interesting Idea.

• #7 by BigDave83 on 17 Apr 2022
  • I bought a small cookshack smokette maybe 22 years ago, it is still going strong. I love it for loner cooks. only goes to 250 I put a few small pieces of wood in the box close the door and wait. It gets used for butts as I can put them in close the door come back in 12-13 hours and take them out to rest.

It is small so not going to be hanging stuff in it well. My racks are 14x14 I think the new ones are 18x18.

I like the looks or the Smokin It smokers and the sizes. I would like to have a 3.5 I think it is. But the cookshack keeps going. I also have a DH65 southern pride I bought in an online auction. it works well, over kill for my needs now. At the time I used it as I did things for work and the space was great.

Not sure if you need insulated but you could probably build something out of a 2 burner hot plate and an Auber controller. Thinking maybe an old filing cabinet or better yet locker or an old holding cabinet.
  • #8 by dk117 on 18 Apr 2022
  • a buddy of mine had a Bradley.   He wasn't using it, I used it for about a year.  Then got the Traeger, then the Gator.  This was 14 years ago. 

I will say, that Bradley is still smoking and it puts out some great smoked salmon.  It's held up better than the Traeger. 
  • #9 by ScottE on 18 Apr 2022
  • I've used the kind that are a box with a pan of wood chips on a heating element. They do work, and we used the oven to finish the cook. This was in my pre-pellet era.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Apr 2022
  • I think you will notice a difference in the smoke "flavor" with an electric smoker.  I don't think they burn as clean as the pellet grills you are used to.

I had a Cookshack years ago when I didn't know any better about the type of smoke you should see coming out of the chimney. I used to much wood one day and was never able to get the creosote flavor out of the smoker.  I sold it at a garage sale for $25 or $50 to get it out of my garage.

I don't know if things changed with them since then, but it was near impossible to get a smoke ring if you wanted that for presentation purposes.  They recommended that you put a few pieces of lump charcoal in with the wood to get that chemistry to create the ring.  I never got it to work.  Smoke flavor and tenderness was very good before I got too much creosote in the cooker.
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 18 Apr 2022
  • I think you will notice a difference in the smoke "flavor" with an electric smoker.  I don't think they burn as clean as the pellet grills you are used to.

I had a Cookshack years ago when I didn't know any better about the type of smoke you should see coming out of the chimney. I used to much wood one day and was never able to get the creosote flavor out of the smoker.  I sold it at a garage sale for $25 or $50 to get it out of my garage.

I don't know if things changed with them since then, but it was near impossible to get a smoke ring if you wanted that for presentation purposes.  They recommended that you put a few pieces of lump charcoal in with the wood to get that chemistry to create the ring.  I never got it to work.  Smoke flavor and tenderness was very good before I got too much creosote in the cooker.

Take a look at the Smokin-it smokers and the cold smoke add-on.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Apr 2022

I have my MAK side chamber I use for cold smoking.  I am done buying grilling equipment.  I need to sell or throw out about 3 grills.
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 18 Apr 2022

I have my MAK side chamber I use for cold smoking.  I am done buying grilling equipment.  I need to sell or throw out about 3 grills.
    Wasn't implying you buy one, just wanted you checkout the smoke.   ;D
    You do have a few smokers.  I'm pretty bad at things like that.
  • #14 by Bentley on 18 Apr 2022
  • I think those Cookshack Electric Smokers are very good, but I also think you need to know how to use them as they can lay down some serious smoke!
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Apr 2022
  • I think those Cookshack Electric Smokers are very good, but I also think you need to know how to use them as they can lay down some serious smoke!

Agreed based on my failed experience
Pages:
Actions