Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A View to History - NOT  (Read 330 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
A View to History - NOT
« on: April 25, 2022, 07:44:04 AM »

I was bummed out last weekend. I was on track to see baseball history and was sadly disappointed. I have a couple of friends that are true baseball fanatics. We were talking last Thursday and started joking around that if Miguel Cabrera didn't get his 3,000th hit that afternoon we should make a road trip to Detroit and watch the game on Friday.

During Cabrera's last at bat on Thursday there were runners on second and third with two outs and first base open. Detroit was up by only a run. Even though Miggy had gone 0-3 that day, the Yankees gave him an intentional walk. There was a big public outcry. People were all upset, saying they should have let him hit. However, there was no denying it was a strategic baseball move.

All of a sudden we were faced with a decision. What initially started out as a joke turned into maybe we could pull this off. Maybe then became: Let's do it. After texting back and forth, three of us cleared our schedules and made arrangements to go to the game. It takes a little over 3 1/2 hours to drive there. We get to the big city, park the car, have a nice dinner, and just as we are getting ready to walk into the ballpark we hear the game is canceled. If it was raining hard, I would have understood, but it was only a drizzle and eventually cleared up. I have been to a lot of games where they played in far worse weather. I think it was a pure money grab by the Tigers for a bigger draw on Saturday. The guys are pros, PLAY THE GAME! We had no choice but to get back into the car and head back home. I think the canceled game was a far worse baseball sin than the intentional walk!

Just curious, has anyone else has had a similar experience where you thought you were going to be a part of something special, and it didn't work out that way? 
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: A View to History - NOT
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 08:29:33 AM »

A bummer for sure....    "Life's ups & downs" as my dear departed mother would say.  On the bright side- it could have been worse.

Reach over your left shoulder with your right hand & hold down the pressure release button.  It's there.  You'll feel better afterwards.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 11:00:49 AM »

Twenty years ago I was on a tour of Greece.  I really was looking forward to visiting the Acropolis and it was scheduled for the last full day of the tour.  The day before we were to visit, the security guards went on strike and they closed it down.  I never understood why they could not have brought in police for that period since thousands of visitors missed seeing this site.  I was also mad at the tour company because I did not believe that they did not know of the potential for a strike and could have re-arranged the schedule.  Two days after we left, the strike was settled and it re-opened.  Unfortunately, it has left me with no desire to ever visit Greece again.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 01:07:57 PM »

When living in Colorado, went to into Wyoming to see Devil's Tower.
It was all fogged in. Couldn't see above the lower 1/4 of it.
On the plus side of the the trip, on the way back we saw 20 or more Eagles in a field.
One was near the road that we didn't see until it took off.  The wingspan filled the entire windshield.

Also when we were in Colorado, ordered a new Corvette (my avatar) with the museum delivery option and we supposed to fly out 9/12/21.
Well you know what happened 9/11 and all airlines were shut down.
Couldn't get a one way rental, so drove the wife's car to Kentucky to the Corvette Museum to get the car.
They weren't even ready for us. Didn't think we were coming.
We got the tour of the museum front and got to see all the ones in the back as well. Pretty cool (if you like cars).
However, the Corvette factory was shut down due to the 9/11 incident so we weren't able to get that tour then.  This was a Friday.
We drove the car to Indiana for a pig roast, and then came back through Bowling Green on Monday and were able to get the Factory tour.  That was pretty cool too.

The Museum was nice enough to handling shipping my wife's car back to Colorado.

So it cost me an extra night hotel bill and $750 to have car shipped.
But I did get my money refunded for the airline tickets.
Wasn't really terrible, just a lot of extra driving going there.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 01:14:14 PM »

Twenty years ago I was on a tour of Greece.  I really was looking forward to visiting the Acropolis and it was scheduled for the last full day of the tour.  The day before we were to visit, the security guards went on strike and they closed it down.  I never understood why they could not have brought in police for that period since thousands of visitors missed seeing this site.  I was also mad at the tour company because I did not believe that they did not know of the potential for a strike and could have re-arranged the schedule.  Two days after we left, the strike was settled and it re-opened.  Unfortunately, it has left me with no desire to ever visit Greece again.

What a shame, you would have enjoyed it, we did.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:43:57 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 03:07:24 PM »

Kind of an opposite story for me.  I had a HS friend who made it to the NFL as a Kicker for a couple of years.  In 1984 he was with the Houston Oilers and we went to see him play the Rams In Anaheim.  Eric Dickerson ran for 215 years, a nice day, but no record.  What was the record was Dickerson became the 2nd person at the time to rush for over 2000 yards.  He end up the season with 2,105 to this day, still the record for yards in a season.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up