Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground meat jerky question.  (Read 324 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Ground meat jerky question.
« on: April 26, 2022, 04:46:35 PM »

I don't usually do ground meat in to jerky. But I want to give it another shot. I tried some about 2 weeks ago. didn't really turn out as i wanted, neither in flavor or texture.

I used a jerky gun. This go I used the little plastic Nesco I bought a few years ago for filling peppers. I also have one of the big jerky guns from cabelas, have not used this in many years. My attempts with the gun are not great. it is thin and not connected most of the time. not a nice even thickness and width.

This time I am thinking of pressing it out in a pizza pan that is about 3/8" deep, or I may put it on the counter and then put the pan  upside down and flatten it out.

Does anyone else make from ground meat and do you have a better way. I have seen the rolling pin and paint sticks, and I had thought about buying some of the thickness bands for on the rolling pin I have. I have other ideas also but I doubt the way I am I will pursue them.

Thanks.

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Ground meat jerky question.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 06:47:44 PM »

How about a pasta maker with parchment paper above and below the meat for getting an even thickness.
Although I don't know how you would go through the strip cutting step without the meat sticking to the rollers.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 12:07:32 AM »

I have a jerky gun, I've tried both flat and round tips and I like the round tip best.  Wasn't real thrilled with texture or flavor and haven't tried it for some time but, I probably will again with a different recipe and see how it goes.  I really prefer jerky made with eye of round. Something you can really give your jaw a workout with. :rotf:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 05:03:03 AM »

I do have 2 guns but what we do is put the meat between parchment paper and roll it out flat to get it as closely in size to 2 1/2 sheet pans and finish pressing it flat that way. Take it out when satisfied and remove top parchment (can be a pain) and then slice strips with pizza cutter. Then carefully peel the strips (carefully) and onto the racks.
Hope that helps.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 10:07:38 AM »

I used to make it with hamburger all the time.  It worked great when you have a child with braces.  I don't remember the brand of gun I have but it worked very well once I figured it out.  We prefer it out of muscle meat so I haven't used the gun in a couple years now.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1]   Go Up