Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flattie?  (Read 355 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Flattie?
« on: April 27, 2022, 06:04:15 PM »

I saw an interesting video recipe on Facebook a while back. It popped up once and was never to be seen again. However it was intriguing, kind of like a stuffed meatloaf. On the video, after everything was assembled, I thought they were going to roll it up like you would for a fattie. Instead they made (for lack of a better term), a flattie. I don't remember the actual name. Before it was cooked they sliced it into individual portions and fried it in about a 1/2 inch of oil in a cast iron pan.

I ended up putting my own spin on it using their technique. I mixed 1 lb. ground beef with 1 lb. ground pork, then combining salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and an egg. I probably would have also added parmesan cheese, but we were out. The filling was sautéed onions, red pepper, and cherry tomatoes. I then took half the ground meat and shaped it into a rectangle, building up the edges a little bit. I pulled four sticks of string cheese for the first layer on top of the meat and then added thinly sliced deli ham on top of the cheese, the onion mixture came next, and finally covered it with shredded co-jack cheese. I put the remaining ground beef and pork over the top, seasoned it with a ground beef rub, and covered it with some Famous Dave's BBQ sauce. Put it on the smoker at 200 and then bumped it to 250 for about an hour total.

I should have cut back on the rub or the salt, it was too salty for my taste, (there was a time when those words never would have been thought or said)!

On a side note, it is the end of April and I am cooking in a snow storm. Just a couple of days ago it was 80+ degrees. Got to love Northern Michigan!! However, I am ready for spring!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Flattie?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 06:31:52 PM »

You gonna leave us hanging...  No pictures ? ? ?
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 09:41:47 PM »

Was it like a Juicy Lucy?
Mak 2 Star General #1799

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 09:39:26 AM »

You gonna leave us hanging...  No pictures ? ? ?

I wasn't happy with the pictures, but maybe bad pictures are better than none! Hopefully you will get the idea. I guess it could be thought of as a Juicy Lucy Meatloaf.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 03:17:43 PM »

Clever.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up