Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Darwin on 27 Apr 2022
  • I usually believe you get what you pay for, but sometimes I get surprised.  I purchased a Winco , medium, Stainless Steel Nakiri style knife for $13 last year and I really like it.  I gave it a few minutes on a honing steel and leather strop to get it right.  I use it daily and smile ever time I pick it up.
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 27 Apr 2022
  • I never knew about that style until the MilkStreet guy showed up on my facebook. It looked interesting.

I have a set of the cheap Henkels Santuko I think one is 5" and one is maybe 8" I use the 5" one a lot for my vegetables. Had thought about one of the Nakiri designs.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 28 Apr 2022

•  If you can get by the craftsmanship & brand names, there are some good finds out there.

A knife to me should fit well in the hand, cut well, maintain an edge reasonably well & be easily sharpened.
  • #4 by pmillen on 28 Apr 2022
  • The nakiri is one of the oldest, most continually used knives in Japan.  It's a simple, double-bevel, rectangular blade, typically between 6½ and 7 inches.  It's almost like a cleaver that's short from spine to edge.  The name translates to vegetable knife, and it’s great for that use and not so great for anything else.

Show us a photograph of yours, Darwin.
  • #5 by Darwin on 28 Apr 2022
  • it could easily be called a Chinese cleaver also. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VZ6NE0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Please delete link if it breaks the rules.  Amazon did not want to let me copy the image and I'm in a meeting with not time to hunt for another  :o
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 29 Apr 2022
  • Not sure I would like the handle.

I second what John said above especially about the part of fitting your hand and being comfortable to use.
  • #7 by pmillen on 29 Apr 2022

:D  So 30 million Japanese cooks have been wrong for centuries?

Although, I see where there may be some North American hand size variance.

Anyway, the above is mostly a joke.
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 30 Apr 2022

:D  So 30 million Japanese cooks have been wrong for centuries?

Although, I see where there may be some North American hand size variance.

Anyway, the above is mostly a joke.

I have noticed that that style of handle is used a lot on Japanese knives. I have never had one so I can't say they are wrong, but I am probably right.
    Sometimes I wonder if things are made the way they out of simplicity, couple that thought with the way that handle looks it could be used right or left handed very easily.  Also the Centuries comment seems to lead me to believe that played a part in the design.  I may need to buy one and try it who knows. We all know you can never have to many knives.
  • #9 by Brushpopper on 30 Apr 2022
  • We all know you can never have to many knives.

I wish I could convince my wife of that. :(
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 30 Apr 2022

I say the same thing about clamps. Probably have 60 or 70 of them.
  • #11 by glitchy on 30 Apr 2022
  • My Mercer Nakiri is one of my favorite knives. I much prefer it over my chef’s knife for chopping vegetables.
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 30 Apr 2022

What kind of clamps or just a variety. I have a xxxx load of C clamps and now started buying the Irwin Quick Grips.
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 30 Apr 2022

What kind of clamps or just a variety. I have a xxxx load of C clamps and now started buying the Irwin Quick Grips.

Mostly woodworking clamps and have a box full of C-clamps and strap clamps.
    Have Irwin clamps (bottom row of fist pic and longer ones in back rack).  They are good and easy to use,  but you don't get the pressure you need in some cases.
    The cheap  Harbor Freight (blue/gray ones) work really well.
  • #14 by Darwin on 30 Apr 2022
  • Cabinet and furniture makers can never have enough clamps.  I have a box full of German and Japanese knives, I use 4 or 5 of them frequently.  I catch myself always wanting a new one.
  • #15 by pmillen on 30 Apr 2022
  • it could easily be called a Chinese cleaver also. 

Knife names are often chosen by marketing people.  They give them the names that they think will create the most sales.  As a result, the same knife is sometimes sold by different retailers with different names.

This is especially true of knives that have the same profile (i.e., Japanese Nakiri and Chinese Cleaver).  Although they have the same general profile, the difference between them lies in the blade thickness.  The Chinese cleaver blade gets thicker from front to rear.  They are generally around 5.3 mm at the front growing to around 5.5 mm at the blade's rear.  This gives the user the ability to use the heavier rear-blade portion to chop through light bones.

From the side, profile view, the Nakiri looks the same but the blade will be thinner and not tapered.  That's why it's at home as a vegetable knife and not as good for anything else.
Pages:
Actions