Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freezer Died!!  (Read 711 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Re: Freezer Died!!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 05:21:29 PM »

I put up one of the ham's and will smoke the other tomorrow.

This past winter the refrigerator/freezer that is in the garage the freezer would not work when the temperatures got into the 20's.  I moved the food from it to the chest freezer that just went bad.  My other upright freezer had no issues.

Are you talking garage or outside in the 20's  ?
That is really cold outside for Arkansas isn't it ?
We get down in the 20's only a few days in New Mexico, but garage is still high 40's to low 50's.

This was in the garage.  It got down to the low teens several nights in a row.  It was overcast and we had over 8" of snow.  I actually had two heaters in there running to make sure the water at the water heater did not freeze.  My electric heat system ran constantly and my electric bill was over $300.  This is when I decided to install a propane fireplace.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 05:27:00 PM »

I'm assuming your garage is not insulated and drywalled.  I know mine gets into the high 30s and low 40s if it is negative wind chills for a while and it is insulated and dry walled.  I have never had anything freeze in it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 06:29:07 PM »

This is a scary subject. My garage freezer is a 10 year old chest type and seems to have survived 115° weather, probably hotter in the garage. I live in fear of freezer failure, I need to have an alarm of some sort since I do no check it daily. Both of my freezers are full and old. I probably should purchase a backup but I lack garage space.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 07:37:53 PM »

Thermoworks or similar company would have frig/freezer alarms.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2022, 08:01:18 PM »

I'm assuming your garage is not insulated and drywalled.  I know mine gets into the high 30s and low 40s if it is negative wind chills for a while and it is insulated and dry walled.  I have never had anything freeze in it.

I don't know about the outer wall, but the ceiling is not insulated.  It is drywalled.  I put styrofoam panels in the garage door and I plan on putting 2" styrofoam panels in the ceiling.  The door faces the West and the garage gets pretty hot in the summer.  It does help to open the door when this happens.  I also put two ceiling fans in there to circulate the air.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 08:05:51 PM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2022, 01:13:57 AM »

I have a Thermoworks freezer alarm. I probably would not hear it from my garage. We make sure we check the power light whenever we go in or out of the garage.

We had a breaker failure that turned off the freezer, but they are well insolated and keep food cold for quite a while. The food itself serves as ice.

I have thought about adding a home automation sensor. You just need a temperature sensor that connects to your alarm system, or is stand alone.

It can send alerts to your phone.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2022, 10:02:15 AM »

This is a scary subject. My garage freezer is a 10 year old chest type and seems to have survived 115° weather, probably hotter in the garage. I live in fear of freezer failure, I need to have an alarm of some sort since I do no check it daily. Both of my freezers are full and old. I probably should purchase a backup but I lack garage space.

With there being two possibilities of failure, freezer failure and outlet/circuit failure...
1) I have an Alarm in the kitchen that has two transmitters. One in each freezer in the garage.
2) Also have an alarm in the garage that will put out a high pitch sound if power goes out in the freezer outlet.  I can hear this in the house if it goes off.
    Only have that for one freezer. I need to get another as the other freezer is on a different circuit.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 10:04:03 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2022, 12:30:01 PM »

This topic jinxed me.
My freezer wasn't holding temp.  Of course it's 2 months out of warranty.   
I had heard some noises from the fan like when you put a piece of cardboard in the fan blades.
Just though it was a label on a wire or something and didn't pay much attention to it.
Then it wasn't cooling.
Moved everything to 5 other freezers and a refrigerator around the house.  Of course this was the biggest and fullest.
Left overnight to see if any difference being empty and temps were still in low 40's.
Fan seemed like the culprit since walls were cold and staying in low 40's.
Apparently I was blocking airflow and it froze up around the fan.
Pulled all the shelves, removed the panel and fan would barely turn, definitely hitting something.
Confirmed, ice was what fan was hitting.
Got the blow dryer out and in a few seconds fan was turning.
Finished drying what we could and now letting it sit a couple hours before plugging it back in.
Dodged a bullet on that one (I hope).

Also, Frigidaire support told me that I couldn't replace the fan if it was bad, and only a qualified technician could do that. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 12:32:06 PM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

hughver

• University of Louisiana
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2022, 01:32:46 PM »

Also, Frigidaire support told me that I couldn't replace the fan if it was bad, and only a qualified technician could do that. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You told them you are a qualified technician?

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2022, 02:37:09 PM »

I just ordered one of these. https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Refrigerator-Thermometer-Temperature-Customizable/dp/B004QJVU78/ref=asc_df_B004QJVU78/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134584690&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18227629295442364520&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030067&hvtargid=pla-273908654109&psc=1

I had an Acurite for about 3 or 4 years until it died.  Bought an ORIA Refrigerator Thermometer to replace it.
Not sure if one is better than the other though.
============================================================================================

You told them you are a qualified technician?

Haha  Probably should have.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up