Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 02ebz06 on 10 May 2022
  • Made the pepperoni today.  It's in the curing chamber now (Converted Wine Cooler).
    Inside the Wine Cooler is a seed heating pad, humidifier, dehumidifier, and a fan to circulate the air.
    Tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning it will move to the drying chamber (the top cabinet).
    Here are some pics of the equipment and beginning of what I hope will be a tasty end-product.
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 10 May 2022
  • Since I had grinder and stuffer out, I made some Bratwurst.  Supposed to be a Johnsonville clone.  We'll see.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 May 2022
  • curious to watch the master
  • #4 by urnmor on 10 May 2022
  • me to
  • #5 by Bentley on 10 May 2022
  • I hope it goes well and easy.  And if it does, I may look into it, as the price of good deli cuts are outrageous!  I would love to make my own Sopressata!
  • #6 by yorkdude on 11 May 2022
  • Wow, very nice. Betting it turns out great, nicely done.
  • #7 by pmillen on 11 May 2022
  • I, too, am watching this thread.  An adventure with a great payoff.
  • #8 by Canadian John on 11 May 2022

•  That entails a lot of work & know-how.   I am peering over shoulders as well.  Expecting a awesome outcome.
  • #9 by elenis on 11 May 2022
  • I am definitely following this one as well. I have a number of books on charcuterie, but am so paranoid about making someone sick I have yet to try it.
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 11 May 2022

•  That entails a lot of work & know-how.   I am peering over shoulders as well.  Expecting a awesome outcome.

I'm picking up the know-how as I go.

======================================================================================
    I am definitely following this one as well. I have a number of books on charcuterie, but am so paranoid about making someone sick I have yet to try it.

That was my big hesitation. The first book I read started out with first chapter diving right in to botulism.
    A member of the Pizza Making forum has been doing it for some time.
    Went to his house 5-6 weeks ago and after tasting the pepperoni he made convinced me to give it a try.
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 11 May 2022
  • This is going to be great. Nice set up. Can't wait to see your creations. I have just used Umai bags.
  • #12 by Bentley on 11 May 2022
  • I do not think you will have a problem, with the correct equipment, the safety factor is in pretty good hands.  I have just never wanted to spend the money for it, nor is there really room.  And, you simply cannot do some of the cuts without proper RH, temperature and cultures!  I think you are going to be very pleased!
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 11 May 2022
  • I do not think you will have a problem, with the correct equipment, the safety factor is in pretty good hands.  I have just never wanted to spend the money for it, nor is there really room.  And, you simply cannot do some of the cuts without proper RH, temperature and cultures!  I think you are going to be very pleased!

You need a culture for pepperoni.  Comes dried in an envelope. Add appropriate amount to a small amount of water to rehydrate.
    For the RH, that is where the Inkbird controller come in.  It turns a humidifier and dehumidifier on/off as needed to maintain the proper humidity.
    Same for temp, Inkbird adjust as needed.
    I had 85 degrees for temp and 85 RH in the curing chamber.
    Now they are in the ageing chamber which I have at 55 degrees and 75 RH.

You could do it all in old working refrigerator if you wanted to.
  • #14 by 02ebz06 on 22 May 2022
  • Should have updated this a little sooner, sorry.
    First batch did not come out as I would have liked.
    Should not have followed the YouTube video exactly.
    In the video, he didn't test for weight loss until day 4 in the aging chamber.
    That was a mistake. It had lost 30% by then.  Supposed to pull at 20% loss.
    Result was outer part was a lot harder than the center.
    Was more hard like a pepperoni stick you get in the store, but was very bland.  Not sure why no flavor.
    So, I increased spices a bit for 2nd attempt.
    Just put it in the aging chamber this morning.
    Will check weights every day this time.

• #15 by BigDave83 on 22 May 2022
  • Take the ones that are dryer on the outside and vac seal them, they will equalize. It may take few weeks. Using the Umai bags my dry cured stuff usually get what they call case hardening dryer out side. I seal them up and put in the fridge for a few weeks and it usually comes out much nicer.
Pages:
Actions