Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by 02ebz06 on 23 May 2022
  • I didn't dry them as long this time.  Came out even all the way through.

Taste pretty good, upped the spices from original recipe which was sort of bland.
    Doesn't taste like the stuff I buy, but I think that matching is an impossible task.
    Like trying to match Pizza Hut pizza, you can get close, but not exact.
  • #17 by BigDave83 on 23 May 2022
  • Yours doesn't look to be near as fatty as commercial also maybe ground finer. Looks great I would eat it.
  • #18 by Bentley on 24 May 2022
  • This is Pepperoni?
  • #19 by 02ebz06 on 24 May 2022
  • That is pepperoni, not as red/orange as stuff in store though.  Looks like bologna.  Maybe they add add artificial color?  Not sure why different.
    After I sliced it, you could see the pieces of fat.
    Have to see how it tastes on next pizza.

I do plan on switching to a different recipe next time.  One from a book by an expert rather than from a YouTube video.
    Not the greatest but I'm still learning.  At least I got the process right this time.

Here it is sliced and packaged for pizza.
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2022
  • Ah, so I am not the only crazy one who thought it looked like bologna.  Looking forward to your thoughts on how it is on pizza - flavor and grease.
  • #21 by 02ebz06 on 24 May 2022
  • I think I know why the color is different.
    It contains pork and beef.  If it was all beef I think it would be more red.
    All beef will be in a future experiment.
  • #22 by 02ebz06 on 02 Feb 2023
  • Well, since we moved, my equipment has been sitting around gathering dust.
    So I built a platform for it and got it all connected up.
    Didn't want to drill any holes in the cabinet side, so I glued/screwed a couple pieces of wood together and took advantage of the wine cooler having a reversible door,
    and was able to use the screw holes to attach one end of the wood with screws and double stick tape under the rest of the wood.

Now I need to get some meat and figure out what I want to make. Haha
  • #23 by Bentley on 02 Feb 2023
  • Glad to have you back at it.  Starting a new batch of Sopprasota tomorrow. Hoping round 2 will be more to my liking with the fat content, and a more robust flavor with the dry curing and mold. 
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Feb 2023
  • Hat's off to you guys.  Right now, I can't even get myself to clean my grills, fix auger issues, replace ignitors, etc.  I plan to have more ambition when I retire and have to fill 50 hours a week with something other than work.  Exercise is only going to fill so many of those hours.
  • #25 by 02ebz06 on 05 Feb 2023
  • So I made Genoa Salami and Pepperoni today.
    The Salami is in the curing chamber today.  Will go to the drying chamber in 72 hours.
    Pepperoni is all ground and mixed and in freezer.
    The salami cures at a lower temo than the pepperoni. But drying temp is the dame.
    Will take it out of the freezer to thaw in a few days, stuff into casings and then into the curing chamber.
    When Ph is right, it will join the Salami in the Drying chamber.

Here is the Salami.

• #26 by Bentley on 05 Feb 2023
  • So you have a separate fermentation chamber from curing/drying chamber?
  • #27 by 02ebz06 on 05 Feb 2023
  • Yes, scroll up a half dozen post or so and you will see them both.
  • #28 by Bentley on 06 Feb 2023
  • What do you use to test pH?  Are you looking for certain numbers to make a specific taste?  Or is it simply the safety factor?
  • #29 by 02ebz06 on 06 Feb 2023
  • Pretty much go by what the recipe says.
    For the Genoa Salami, it says to cure it for 72 hours, but don't let Ph drop below 5.1. Nothing about a Ph range.  It's at 5.8 now
    For Pepperoni, there is a range, the lower is tangier.
    I guess everyone does it different.

For the tester, I use the Apera PH60s.

• #30 by 02ebz06 on 08 Feb 2023
  • The Salami Ph dropped down to 5.25.
    72 hours are up so weighed and moved them into drying chamber.
    Tomorrow the pepperoni will go into the curing chamber.
Pages:
Actions