Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by elenis on 19 May 2022
  • https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ev-adoption-behavioral-changes-101718236.html

One article that supports the theory that the CA power grid can't support full conversion to electric vehicles.

Also, not sure how those at middle class or below afford an electric car if gas cars are to be phased out at some point.  And, how much does it cost to replace the battery in these electric or hybrid cars.  I bet that 75% of the country doesn't have enough money in their savings account to cover such a cost.

I applaud those making the transition, but I don't think it is feasible for the entire country to transition within the timelines that have been established for at least these few reasons at a minimum.

I doubt the grid as it stands can handle the full transition to electric as well. Price wise the middle class and below will be able to afford electric cars the same as gas going forward. Volume reduces cost which allows for lower prices, they are also working on battery chemistries that use less exotic materials and as that occurs the cost is reduced as well. The other big thing is if you look at cars like the Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf in the used area a few year old car is right in line with gas equivalents. Replacement batteries are around 10k, but most people aren't going to replace them they would just get a new vehicle. The bigger thing is how much this is going to cause issues for the car service industry. Tire rotations and replacement tires and eventually replacement brakes are typically all your going to need. I just had my Clarity in for service and they said at the rate it is going I am going to get 100k+ miles out of my brakes because regenerative braking handles the majority of the slowing and not my pads. The much more difficult thing they need to work on if they want to hit goals for stopping the use of gas is going to be when we talk about Semis and things like tractors.
  • #32 by 02ebz06 on 19 May 2022
  • The much more difficult thing they need to work on if they want to hit goals for stopping the use of gas is going to be when we talk about Semis and things like tractors.

There is a farm in California that is using Electric tractors.
    They have a truck that goes out to the field and can recharge two of them, eliminating the need for the tractors to go back to a charging station.
    I saw it on TV several months ago.
    Forgot the name, but a company mods standard tractors to run off batteries.
  • #33 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 May 2022
  • The USPS was supposed to buy a fleet of trucks that were electric.
  • #34 by BigDave83 on 19 May 2022
  • https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ev-adoption-behavioral-changes-101718236.html

One article that supports the theory that the CA power grid can't support full conversion to electric vehicles.

Also, not sure how those at middle class or below afford an electric car if gas cars are to be phased out at some point.  And, how much does it cost to replace the battery in these electric or hybrid cars.  I bet that 75% of the country doesn't have enough money in their savings account to cover such a cost.

I applaud those making the transition, but I don't think it is feasible for the entire country to transition within the timelines that have been established for at least these few reasons at a minimum.

When I worked we sold some replacement batteries. Mostly Prius as they were the main one at the time. They were 900-1000 to a shop so end user was probably closer to 1400-1500 plus installation.

For where I currently live I don't think it would be effective for me for a few reasons, driving habits, my size, need to haul things, lack of charging methods away from home depending on where I go.

As for weight not being an issue whether it is mine or what I decide to haul, that I believe is false. Pick up any battery or even corded tool like a drill, sander, saw now put a load on it and listen to what happens to it. Same thing as going up a hill with an extra 500 pounds of cargo.

The regeneration part do these actually charge the battery at times or just not pull as much out of it. I remember a while back reading about some had something built in to the braking system to help to recharge slightly, although I don't remember how it worked.

• #35 by urnmor on 19 May 2022

• Also, not sure how those at middle class or below afford an electric car if gas cars are to be phased out at some point.  And, how much does it cost to replace the battery in these electric or hybrid cars.  I bet that 75% of the country doesn't have enough money in their savings account to cover such a cost.

IMO I do not believe that gas powered gas will be phased out for a very long time if at all. Why because of lack of confidence and or trust in electric cars to get you from point A to B in a timely manner especially long distances.  Many of us have family that live 100s if not a thousand or more miles away. Which means we would want an electric car that can go at least 3 or 4 hundred miles in a single charge (at least I would). 
    As to trust again IMO it is like paying bills on line.  Id however I want to receive the hard copy in the mail just incase the internet or computer is down.  I feel the same way about cars I would want a gas powered car if  I needed to get to a destination a long distance away in the shortest amount of time. Right now I believe most electric cars are designed for in an around driving

Just my thoughts and yes I will purchase an electric car when they will give 4 or 5 hundred miles at a price competitive with a gas powered car
  • #36 by 02ebz06 on 19 May 2022
  • IMO I do not believe that gas powered gas will be phased out for a very long time if at all. Why because of lack of confidence and or trust in electric cars to get you from point A to B in a timely manner especially long distances.  Many of us have family that live 100s if not a thousand or more miles away. Which means we would want an electric car that can go at least 3 or 4 hundred miles in a single charge (at least I would). 
    As to trust again IMO it is like paying bills on line.  Id however I want to receive the hard copy in the mail just incase the internet or computer is down.  I feel the same way about cars I would want a gas powered car if  I needed to get to a destination a long distance away in the shortest amount of time. Right now I believe most electric cars are designed for in an around driving

Just my thoughts and yes I will purchase an electric car when they will give 4 or 5 hundred miles at a price competitive with a gas powered car

It will take time. The infrastructure for gas/diesel vehicles is in place.  I'm sure there was the same skepticism when Henry Ford started the automotive revolution.
    Once the infrastructure is in place for electric vehicles, more people will have confidence to buy one.
    More and more electric vehicles are coming out with 300+ mile range.  We'll get there...

Either all vehicles will have to use the same plug, or charging stations will need to provide for the different types.  Just like different fuel types for different vehicles now.

• #37 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 May 2022
  • I guess you got to get started somewhere.  It could probably work a little better and faster if the government and the public sector worked closer together.  If the government could help in providing the infrastructure to make it happen, the public industry could execute design, production, and delivery to lots (under closer to normal non-disrupted supply chain conditions).
  • #38 by BigDave83 on 19 May 2022
  • they have been working on hydrogen powered vehicles for years, but not much is heard about them these days.
  • #39 by 02ebz06 on 19 May 2022
  • Something I forgot all about until now.  They are building roads that can wirelessly charge your vehicle as you drive.
    A big project, but would be the ideal way to go.
    See some info here -->  intelligentliving dot co/roads-that-charge-electric-cars-wirelessly-springing-up-everywhere/
    It's not a link I replaced the . with <space>dot<space>
  • #40 by W6YJ on 19 May 2022
  • Los Angeles Fire recently took possesion of their first all electric fire rig.

At $1.2M, it was very similar in  final costs relative to a diesel powered rig.

Likely the biggest negative is its range / run time at about 1 hour underf full load.
  • #41 by WiPelletHead on 19 May 2022
  • Los Angeles Fire recently took possesion of their first all electric fire rig.

At $1.2M, it was very similar in  final costs relative to a diesel powered rig.

Likely the biggest negative is its range / run time at about 1 hour underf full load.

After one hour what is their plan? Wouldn't seem like that would be enough time to do much.
  • #42 by Kristin Meredith on 20 May 2022
  • FD are pretty close in LA, so I can't see one having to travel a lot of distance to get to a fire in their zone, unless it was a mutual aid situation.  In that case, I assume they would just have to leave it at the station.
  • #43 by W6YJ on 20 May 2022
  • Kristin is correct with responding to calls in a high density area.

One advantage to liging in an urban environment (did I really just type that????)

Urban Fire Code puts response time goals of around 6 minutes.

Los Angeles is a little outside the desred window at 7 minutes. Even adding on the return-to-station time of 5 minutes gives the rig a 48 minute on-scene time using an all electric rig.
  • #44 by pmillen on 20 May 2022
  • I read that Toyota is quite far along on their Hydrogen vehicle.  As I read it I was thinking that it was a fuel cell powering a motor.
  • #45 by WiPelletHead on 20 May 2022
  • Kristin is correct with responding to calls in a high density area.

One advantage to liging in an urban environment (did I really just type that????)

Urban Fire Code puts response time goals of around 6 minutes.

Los Angeles is a little outside the desred window at 7 minutes. Even adding on the return-to-station time of 5 minutes gives the rig a 48 minute on-scene time using an all electric rig.

I'm thinking about more than the time to get to the site and a return to the station. Where i live I'm used to a fire trucks engine running the entire time they are at the scene of the fire. Maybe it's different in LA, I don't know is why I asked.
Pages:
Actions