Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Tesla the Car not the inventor...  (Read 2419 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Tesla the Car not the inventor...
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2022, 07:56:00 PM »

Kristin is correct with responding to calls in a high density area.

One advantage to liging in an urban environment (did I really just type that????)

Urban Fire Code puts response time goals of around 6 minutes.

Los Angeles is a little outside the desred window at 7 minutes. Even adding on the return-to-station time of 5 minutes gives the rig a 48 minute on-scene time using an all electric rig.

I'm thinking about more than the time to get to the site and a return to the station. Where i live I'm used to a fire trucks engine running the entire time they are at the scene of the fire. Maybe it's different in LA, I don't know is why I asked.

I am sure not up on how fire trucks are equipped, but I thought they had separate generators on board to run the pumps and hoses and so did not need to use the engine.  But I am not an authority by any means!

Bob The Smoker

• Using less gas.
  • This is the last accessory I will ever need
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2022, 06:40:58 PM »

OK. I FINALLY did a road trip in my Tesla. I went from Orlando, FL to Annandale, VA and back. I found out that it is expensive to charge along the way based on the time of day and location. My price per kWh varied from 33 to 48 cents. Keep in mind that home charging is less than 15 cents. A gas vehicle that gets 35 MPG would pay about the same based on the current average of $3.50 per gallon. I could go into the fact that I didn’t put anything in the air but that usually get ignored. Yes; the coal that was used to produce my electricity put stuff in the air but so did the refinery that that processed your crude oil to make gas and then you put stuff in the air as you burn gas.

The car told me when to go to a charging station and gave me directions.
I would have no problems going anywhere after my experience this trip. Auto-pilot made the whole trip soooooo easy.
Just give a little tug on the wheel every 15 seconds so and the car does the work.
If you are considering a fully electric car, I would suggest waiting a year because the market is changing so fast right now and demand is high making higher prices.
I own a Tesla but I feel they are overpriced (again, supply and demand). From the time I ordered mine and locked in a price, they went up $8000.
So here is the chart.

Traeger Lil Tex Elite Cold Smoker Side Attachment Weber Q Sous Vide

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2022, 09:57:39 PM »

Interesting numbers. My old caravan on a trip does 20-21 MPG so at our current price 3.70 I think for E15 I would have around $335 for fuel, probably 6 stops at 10 minutes each.

As for the debate on emissions, that would depend on how far you want to go up the chain. You are correct in you comparison. The cost to mine and produce the materials for the batteries, the amount of plastics in a car today may be a wash, not sure what the Tesla bodies are made of. Many comparison could be made I believe.

I watched a video of a Ford Lightning and a Chevy Gas towing identical trailers. The Ford didn't fare so well, I watched a few different videos none of them made me say I need one of these.

A former customer has a son that apparently works for Google and they gave him a big raise. He bought a Tesla it was $125K or more. He told me he wouldn't buy one but said they do take off when you press the pedal, he was impressed.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2022, 10:44:24 AM »

Good info, thanks for sharing.

Bob The Smoker

• Using less gas.
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2022, 03:23:42 PM »

Interesting numbers. My old caravan on a trip does 20-21 MPG so at our current price 3.70 I think for E15 I would have around $335 for fuel, probably 6 stops at 10 minutes each.

As for the debate on emissions, that would depend on how far you want to go up the chain. You are correct in you comparison. The cost to mine and produce the materials for the batteries, the amount of plastics in a car today may be a wash, not sure what the Tesla bodies are made of. Many comparison could be made I believe.

I watched a video of a Ford Lightning and a Chevy Gas towing identical trailers. The Ford didn't fare so well, I watched a few different videos none of them made me say I need one of these.

A former customer has a son that apparently works for Google and they gave him a big raise. He bought a Tesla it was $125K or more. He told me he wouldn't buy one but said they do take off when you press the pedal, he was impressed.

Hey Dave. First off thanks for keeping this civil. We could both go on and on over total emissions. I did not buy this car to be a tree huger (not that there is anything wrong with that). I bought it to keep my daily cost of transportation low.

EV trucks have a long way to go as far as towing. Nothing beats a good turbo diesel for towing. Right now the EV truck market is best used with everyday work trucks with minimal towing.

It sounds like the customer's son bought a model S Plaid. The fastest production car there is right now. It will do 0 to 60 in less than 3 seconds. Mine is a model Y and time is just under 5 seconds. Plenty fast enough for me.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2022, 09:51:55 PM »

So the charging stations are just like gas stations, you pay for the electricity?  Not sure why I thought it was like using the internet at McDonalds!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2022, 01:38:18 PM »

So the charging stations are just like gas stations, you pay for the electricity?  Not sure why I thought it was like using the internet at McDonalds!

I know some of the early Tesla adopters were able to wrangle some kind of deal that they could charge for free at the Tesla chargers, but other then that it is mostly like going to a gas station. Some buildings and employers and the like might offer free charging, but most places your using one of 4-5 different charge vendors to do it. Locally the power co-op I am a member of offers free level 2 charging for the first 2 hours at a couple chargers they have in their parking lot that I used so I could see how level 2 charging worked, but with my vehicle being a PHEV I mostly just try to use my gas and battery as efficiently as I can and fill up when I need to. I will get a full electric for my next vehicle and need to get a 50amp charger in my garage for that, but we have my wife's Telluride for the other for pulling a trailer and moving larger groups and the like.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2022, 05:53:48 PM »

I am considering a Tesla Model 3.  Makes no sense to a buy a uses as 3 year old ones with 10,000 or less miles are about the same price as new.
Would really like a Polestar as it is the best looking EV sedan.
Unfortunately the have no service in Albuquerque.
Would not be happy if I had to have it towed to Denver if something happened to it.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bob The Smoker

• Using less gas.
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2022, 08:45:07 AM »

Yes. Pay as you go. Once you set up your Tesla account linked to a credit card, the charger recognizes your car when you plug it in and charges your card accordingly.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2022, 04:38:02 PM »

How do they charge, by the KW of charge, or time it takes ?
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

elenis

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2022, 10:08:32 PM »

It is by the amount of electricity and not time. The Fisker Ocean is the one I am interested as long as it doesn't end up being junk when people start buying them.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2022, 08:36:30 AM »

It is by the amount of electricity and not time. The Fisker Ocean is the one I am interested as long as it doesn't end up being junk when people start buying them.

Is this an SUV looking vehicle. I remember see the Fisker ad pop up at times when using some apps on my phone.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2022, 11:23:14 AM »

So can you give any input on driving time/distance between charges?  I am assuming ambient would have been between 70 & 90 degrees for most of trip?  Love that Real World data!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bob The Smoker

• Using less gas.
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2022, 03:36:58 PM »

So can you give any input on driving time/distance between charges?  I am assuming ambient would have been between 70 & 90 degrees for most of trip?  Love that Real World data!

Well My trip was based on when one of us had to pee and stretch our legs legs. As you can see, we did not have a minimal percentage when we recharged and I did not choose to charge much above 80%. As the battery charge rate increases, the charge rate decreases. The amount of time to charge from 50% to 80% is about the same to charge 80% to 90%. Not worth the wait. Gotta pee again anyway in the next 2 hours. I'm sure if younger folks with bigger bladders wanted to drain down to 10 to 15% and spend the extra time to charge to 90%, they could save some stops.

elenis

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2022, 01:28:32 PM »

Is this an SUV looking vehicle. I remember see the Fisker ad pop up at times when using some apps on my phone.

It is SUV looking. It will be their first one out that is more reasonably priced. They also have one called the Pear that is more of a sedan that is supposedly coming in 2024 that is supposed to start under 30k.
Mak 2 Star General #1799
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up