Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Practice run for 2.5" NY Steaks  (Read 508 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Practice run for 2.5" NY Steaks
« on: May 20, 2022, 04:52:57 PM »

The 2.5" NY steaks that I bought earlier in the week were for anticipation of out-of-town guess over the Memorial Day weekend. I'm doing a trial run on the preparation for tonight's supper. I seasoned all six of them with Pappy's prime rib rub, vacuum packed and froze on the day of purchase, I did not trim or debone. pulled one out this morning and put into sous vide at 128°. I plan to pull after 6 hours, dry, cool, trim, debone and sear in my Anova steam oven back to an IT of 132°.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Practice run for 2.5" NY Steaks
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 06:12:18 PM »

You need an impartial judge.  Overnight that steak to me.  I'll give you a straight-up honest opinion.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 07:05:14 PM »

Thanks Paul, I'd already decided to go longer. Too late for overnight. But I'll get in 8 hours for sure I may throw in an hour or two of low temperature smoke before sear.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:19:37 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 10:54:42 PM »

hughver is that your normal sous vide device or only for small cuts
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 12:40:17 PM »

Only for small cuts/quantity

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 12:41:08 PM »

Only for small cuts/quantity

I thought that may be the case.  I have one of them I bought at Sam's Club a few years ago on sale.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 12:54:52 PM »

I thought that may be the case.  I have one of them I bought at Sam's Club a few years ago on sale.

I bought mine online at either Morningsave.com or meh.com. both sites are interesting and offer junk at great prices I can't remember what I paid but it was well south of $100.

hughver

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 01:06:34 PM »

Steak turned out very good. slightly over cooked but very tasty and moist. I was pressed for time and did not cool it enough before air fryer. It was in sous vide for 8+ hours, trimmed/deboned then reseasoned a bit and two hours in smoker. Served with broccoli with cheese sauce and a bourbon cream sauce for the meat.

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 06:27:07 PM »

Steak turned out very good. slightly over cooked but very tasty and moist. I was pressed for time and did not cool it enough before air fryer. It was in sous vide for 8+ hours, trimmed/deboned then reseasoned a bit and two hours in smoker. Served with broccoli with cheese sauce and a bourbon cream sauce for the meat.

sous vide, smoker and then air fryer?   that seems like a lot of heat!  I think I would try the smoker, sous vide and then sear on a cast iron for just about a30 seconds to a minute each side.  But what do I know.
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 08:31:45 PM »

A nice thick steak!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 11:40:43 AM »

That does look pretty darn good.

2.5" thick, some of the things they label as roasts around me are not that thick.

hughver

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 04:48:31 PM »

Lessons learned from trial. First of all, a 2.5" steak is not prepared like a normal steak, Dave is correct, method S/B more like a roast. Each steak was +/- 2 lbs. Therefore, more time is required. Should SV overnight and be a degree or two hotter. Completely cool before trim/debone, I think firmer meat would be easier. Smoke cooled meat on low to an IT of 100-110° and adjust pit temp higher if going too slow. Don't use air fryer for sear, use cast iron pan. Air fryer heats from all sides, making carryover temp. rise less predictable. Goal is finished IT of 132°. Add salt and pepper before smoke or add more Pappy's at initial seasoning., final product needed salt. I'll also switch to a red wine reduction for the sauce. The bourbon cream sauce was not bad, but I like the version wine better. I'll try three of these monsters for one of this weekends' meal.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 05:39:21 PM »

Maybe you know about this page or maybe not. But Douglas Baldwin's book or charts is one of the first places I go for info.

Not sure if you can gain any information or not from this.

https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Beef

hughver

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 05:49:07 PM »

Yes I've seen his charts and they are very valuable. I also use this chart;
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:51:33 PM by hughver »

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 12:46:18 PM »

As I understand this,  the outside of a steak is affected not the inside. at 130 the outside needs to be at 130 for 100 minutes to be safe.  I don't think the inside needs to be at 130 of 100 minutes.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up