Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brisket day  (Read 528 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Brisket day
« on: May 29, 2022, 02:12:02 PM »

Our indoor freezer of our main fridge is when we keep cooked meats and it was empty so today was brisket day to put some back in.

Put in Memphis at 9PM last night at 275F and took out at 8:30 this morning.  A little faster than I anticipated.
A couple strange things with this one, only a couple places had smoke ring, and temp in the middle of point was identical to flat at the end.
Would have thought point would have been a little cooler in the center since it was quite a bit thicker.
For the smoke ring, the only thing I can think of is I didn't put a smoke box in this time.

Still made a great sandwich (pic in sandwich thread), and will have plenty to freeze.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Brisket day
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 02:49:36 PM »

Smoke ring is also caused by the type of wood sometimes and if you had a salty rub.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 04:58:07 PM »

What did it weigh before trimming?  11.5 hrs is not fast considering the temp was 275*  Did you crutch? Nice bark!  Did you also use a drip pan? I have yet to do a brisket on my Beale Street, but all this input is helping me decide how.   

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 06:34:30 PM »

Smoke ring is also caused by the type of wood sometimes and if you had a salty rub.
There was salt in the rub.  I think I used Pecan pellets.

================================================================

What did it weigh before trimming?  11.5 hrs is not fast considering the temp was 275*  Did you crutch? Nice bark!  Did you also use a drip pan? I have yet to do a brisket on my Beale Street, but all this input is helping me decide how.

Sorry, don't recall what it weighed. 14-15lbs I'd guess.  Trimmed probably 3lbs of fat.
Normally it has taken 12-13 hours at 275.  I guess time of year can affect that.
No crutch.
Yes, bark was good.
No drip pan as such, just the drip tray ahat lets the grease run down into the drip pans (one on each side).

Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 09:58:57 PM »

Thanks, for the reply.  Looks like it worked well for you. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 03:55:04 PM »

The only thing I have ever seen hinder a smoke ring is fat, so I have no idea why it would not be there,  I don't think a rub could effect it!  As Lew said, some can cause it!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »

Same rub I have always used for beef.
The only thing different is I didn't use the smoke box.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 06:14:56 PM »

Looks great. I would like to do one but I am the only one that eats it. So not sure what I would do with a 15 pounder once cooked.

okie smokie

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 06:44:48 PM »

Looks great. I would like to do one but I am the only one that eats it. So not sure what I would do with a 15 pounder once cooked.
Best when first cut while warm! Just two of us here, but decided I will cut the whole thing and deliver some to son and daughter, as they are each a mile away. Or if timing is good just have them over for din din. (11 people altogether)

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 09:40:02 AM »

Just two of us, so we vacuum  seal it is amounts enough for2-3 meals.
Works great. You get the brisket another day  without the work.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 10:01:22 AM »

Have not done one in a very long time, miss it but it also is primarily just the two of us.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 10:14:37 AM »

Does no one on here eat without their spouse or significant other?  I always make more than enough for two people and freeze the remainder for me to eat at a later date.  My wife and I often eat different things at different times for lunch and dinner.  She also is away from the house a few months out of the year too.  Both are great ways for me to eat the things I like and freeze.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2022, 10:25:38 AM »

Does no one on here eat without their spouse or significant other?  I always make more than enough for two people and freeze the remainder for me to eat at a later date.  My wife and I often eat different things at different times for lunch and dinner.  She also is away from the house a few months out of the year too.  Both are great ways for me to eat the things I like and freeze.
We often eat different things but she is not a huge beef fan, more correctly said, loves the smells but any fat and she is long gone. She loves a good burger, ground beef for tacos, any flap meat for quesadiilas, beef in burritos-enchiladas or chili etc. count her in. I call her “meat weird”.
Pages: [1]   Go Up