Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 04 Jun 2022
  • Bought a couple of Prime Tri Tips at Costco and froze one and did the other like a brisket.  Seasoned with Hutchins Brisket Rub (in either Frisco, TX. or McKinney, Tx.). Smoked at  225* till inside temp of 165*.  Had to spritz often with Apple Cider Vinegar and water  1/2 and 1/2. Then crutched in foil at 225 until internal temp of 199*. Then wrapped in towel and kept inside a warm oven for 2 hours. 
    Total cook time: 4.5 hrs. (3 hrs naked and spritzed and 1.5 hrs foiled). 
    We both agreed it was fantastic result with both texture and taste. Will do it again.   
    Pic 1.  Seasoned and ready to cook.
    Pic 2.  Hutchin's BBQ Rub
    Pic 3  Sliced across the grain
    Pic 4.  Second Helping
    No it was not dry.

• #2 by 02ebz06 on 04 Jun 2022
  • Looks mighty good.  Nice work!
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jun 2022
  • The meat looks great.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 04 Jun 2022
  • The left overs were eaten today. Just ate the slices cold. Even better! Hutchins brisket rub is mostly SP but the taste of both were obvious, but the other ingredients really made it a hit. Will see if I can get it shipped. But don't hesitate to do a Tri Tip like a brisket.  If you keep it spritzed often, it will not dry out. Also, foil crutch keeps it moist if you add a little of the spritz when wrapping. Actually, I pulled it when it reached 196* but it got up to 199* after I towel wrapped the package.  (I  had my Meater in it for the whole cook, and left it in with the towel wrap.). There was about a half cup of juice in the bottom of the wrap when it came out of the warmer. Sorry I did not take a pic of the uncut meat, it had a great dark bark which you can see on the sliced pieces. No need to make a whole brisket unless you expect a large crowd. On the other hand it was expensive at $10.99/lb.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 05 Jun 2022

•    Great job okie.   This site is missing the ability for us to sample those mouth watering cooks.  Too bad!
  • #6 by ScottE on 05 Jun 2022
  • I've heard of this method recently, never would have occurred to me to cook it this way. I'll have to try it sometime.
  • #7 by hughver on 05 Jun 2022
  • I do my Tri Tip like a steak, 132° medium rare, and cut cross grain. I'll give this method a try. Thanks for posting.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 05 Jun 2022
  • I do my Tri Tip like a steak, 132° medium rare, and cut cross grain. I'll give this method a try. Thanks for posting.
    Please report your results. 
  • #9 by Clonesmoker on 07 Jun 2022
  • Trip Tip is probably my favorite for flavor. Just wish I had a couple in the freezer yet.

• #10 by 02ebz06 on 07 Jun 2022
  • Can't always find them here.
  • #11 by hughver on 07 Jun 2022
  • Trip Tip is probably my favorite for flavor. Just wish I had a couple in the freezer yet.

Now that's my type of TriTip!
  • #12 by dk117 on 07 Jun 2022
  • this is a fun method, I tried it a few times back in the PelletHeads days.   Ultimately I went back to reverse sear (maybe an hour on low smoke then a fast sear on the gasser) as I enjoy a medium rare Tri Tip and my wife can get medium to well on the ... well the tips. 

Glad you enjoyed the Trisket (at least that's what I recall us calling a tri tip cooked like a brisket).   It's a logical solution when you don't want to cook a 15 lb brisket. 

DK
  • #13 by okie smokie on 08 Jun 2022
  • May attempt the same process on a pot roast as well.
  • #14 by ZCZ on 08 Jun 2022
  • That looks totally awesome!  I have a frozen one in the freezer will try this with.  Anymore Tri Tip is my favorite cut of meat as well. The flavor is tough to beat.
  • #15 by glitchy on 09 Jun 2022
  • I prefer trisket over regular tri-tip. If I want steak, I’ll make a good one like a ribeye or NY strip. When I cook tri-tip medium rare most have been pretty tough. I have loved the triskets though.
Pages:
Actions