Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by okie smokie on 12 Jun 2022
  • Trisket?
  • #17 by 02ebz06 on 12 Jun 2022
  • Trisket  =  Tri-Tip cooked like Brisket.
  • #18 by okie smokie on 12 Jun 2022
  • Trisket  =  Tri-Tip cooked like Brisket.

Duh! Getting slow in my old age.
  • #19 by Bentley on 12 Jun 2022
  • jimsbarbeque was the 1st one to mention this on Pelletheads about 12 years ago I think!
  • #20 by okie smokie on 27 Jun 2022
  • Low/slowed another tri tip yesterday and it turned out about the same.  Not quite a brisket, but very nice. Even better when cold for a snack. My Son-in-law, did one also yesterday with Meat Church Holy Cow and said it was great! He bought a pack of 4 TT's Choice at Costco for 9.95/lb. Pricey since they became popular

At 160* pulled to wrap. Beautiful color.

• #21 by Canadian John on 27 Jun 2022

•  Can't beat the looks. Has to be good tasting..

Interesting how the two different cooks turned out.
  • #22 by hughver on 27 Jun 2022
  • Yum, off to Costco for tri-tip.
  • #23 by Jimsbarbecue on 01 Jul 2022
  • jimsbarbeque was the 1st one to mention this on Pelletheads about 12 years ago I think!
    still cook them this way! My wife’s favorite way to have Tri tip
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Jul 2022
    still cook them this way! My wife’s favorite way to have Tri tip

Please post on here more frequently.  You, IMO, are a great BBQ innovator.
  • #25 by pmillen on 01 Jul 2022
  • That's a handsome Tri-Tip, there, Okie Smokie.  And a handsome carving knife peeking out.
  • #26 by okie smokie on 01 Jul 2022
  • That's a handsome Tri-Tip, there, Okie Smokie.  And a handsome carving knife peeking out.
    TT was great. Even cold as a snack.  The knife is fake Damascus, but works well. Thanks for the comments.
  • #27 by ZCZ on 12 Feb 2023
  • Many thanks to okie smokie for posting this method of doing Tri Tip.  Finally got around to trying it and it came out great!
    My company preferred this method over the grilled method.  Meat was very flavorful and TENDER.  More forgiving as sometimes Tri Tip is hard to slice across the grain as the grain tends to move around some.

For the rub I used a combination of Wee Willy's Steak Formula and Kinder's Santa Maria rub.  For the juice that I added when I wrapped in foil I used weak coffee with a beef boullion cube disolved in it plus a little honey.

End result sliced up looks a lot like brisket:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Served in sandwiches with mayo and a slice of Provlone cheese with sides of cole slaw, beans and mac n cheese.
  • #28 by Bentley on 12 Feb 2023
  • Nicely done, both of you.  But I am still a grilled tri-tip man!
  • #29 by Brushpopper on 18 Feb 2023
  • I've always done them as reverse sear but I got one to cook today as a trisket.  The girls would always complain if there was myoglobin visible so they were usually tough from over cooking them.  I thought $7.99 a pound was high for a prime one at H-E-B until I reread the thread.  Seems cheap now.
  • #30 by hughver on 11 Mar 2023
  • A local store had Tri Tip on sale for $3.95/ lb., so I had my wife pick up a couple. I'm going to do one Trisket style and one seasoned, smoked @ 160° for 3-4 hours, and sous vide @ 131° for 6 hours. I have not decided on seasoning, but I'm leaning toward one of these: Meat Mitch rub, Simply Marvelous BBQ rub, Montreal Steak, Kinders Buttery Steakhouse or just SPG. Any recommendations?

p
Pages:
Actions