Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by hughver on 13 Mar 2023
  • Are Costco's tri tips blade tenderized like their flank steak. My roasts are trimmed and seasoned ready for the pit. I'm debating with myself whether or not to Jaccard them.  I have both the 15 and 45 blade version of the Jaccard tool.

• #32 by Bentley on 13 Mar 2023
  • If they are, it will say so on the meat info sticker!
  • #33 by elenis on 14 Mar 2023
  • Low/slowed another tri tip yesterday and it turned out about the same.  Not quite a brisket, but very nice. Even better when cold for a snack. My Son-in-law, did one also yesterday with Meat Church Holy Cow and said it was great! He bought a pack of 4 TT's Choice at Costco for 9.95/lb. Pricey since they became popular

Looks great. I have never tried a tri-tip because I don't usually find them in Ohio. I like the couple of Meat Church rubs I have as well. They seem to do a nice job of not making them too salt heavy.
  • #34 by hughver on 14 Mar 2023
  • If they are, it will say so on the meat info sticker!

I read on Google that they indeed do blade tenderizer their tri tips. The article implies that doing so is a bad thing, and I quote " The problem with blade tenderization is that the blades can potentially transfer foodborne illnesses throughout the cut of meat. Thus, to ward off any sickness, you have to cook the blade tenderized meat to 165°F – which is well done." That said, I'm off to Jaccard my roast, to be prepared using methods stated earlier.
  • #35 by Bentley on 14 Mar 2023
  • Just a CYA statement.  I trust Costco meat, the facilities it is packaged in and the people processing it.  So I don't care if it has been blade tenderized.  I am going to cook it to the temperature I want!
  • #36 by hughver on 14 Mar 2023
  • Me too. Roast are Jaccarded and off to the smoker. I completely removed all visible fat and seasoned with Kinder Buttery Steakhouse rub and a bit of Montreal steak.
  • #37 by Jimsbarbecue on 17 Mar 2023
  • Use to be the ones packaged as singles were. The ones with numerous ones in one bag were noy
  • #38 by hughver on 17 Mar 2023
  • good to know, thanks for the insight.
  • #39 by 02ebz06 on 17 Mar 2023
  • Haven't seen you around in a while. Welcome back Jim.
  • #40 by okie smokie on 17 Mar 2023
  • Picked up 2 TT's at Costco today $7.99lb. Gonna do one in next few days. 2.7lbs each. Will just use Montreal (similar to Hutchin's). Will add butter, apple or beef broth at the wrap at 165* or such. Plan for 205*-207* or at least probes like butter. Report and pics to follow. Trisket  has become a favorite for just 2 of us.
  • #41 by pmillen on 17 Mar 2023
  • Just a CYA statement.  I trust Costco meat, the facilities it is packaged in and the people processing it.  So I don't care if it has been blade tenderized.  I am going to cook it to the temperature I want!

Hmmm.  How far does that trust extend?  Would you eat Costco hamburger at <165°F?  Do you have the same trust in their chicken products?
  • #42 by BigDave83 on 17 Mar 2023

Hmmm.  How far does that trust extend?  Would you eat Costco hamburger at <165°F?  Do you have the same trust in their chicken products?

I have never shopped at a Costco, not even sure where the closest one is to me. In general I would have to agree with Bentley's statement, because of how people are today. 

Now would I eat their hamburg less than 165? Yes. I would say that as I am repackaging or making patties, I would be putting some salt and pepper on small bites of it and eating it right out of the pack.

Chicken is a different story, first they probably don't run it through a tenderizer, and second the risk of getting sick off chicken seem to be far greater than off cow or even pig. That said I am okay if my cooked chicken breast has some pink in it, not to the extent of what I like in other cuts of beef or pig though. under cooked chicken still has that slimy feel or bite to it. Something the other meats don't have.

As for the tri tip I still have never sen them in any store, and the local butcher shop/meat market is not easy to find here any more. There used to be several good ones. Now it is mostly the custom butchering, where you can't just buy a tri tip or a couple of steaks.
  • #43 by okie smokie on 17 Mar 2023

Costco butcher told me that they follow a strict protocol for the blade tenderizer and sterilize it after a specific length of use time. However, that may not prevent pushing external contaminants from surface into deep meat. We are "medium" done on our beef and well done on pork, fish etc. Since Costco moves a tremendous amount of beef, and I always try to pic the most recently processed date and either cook or freeze, I don't worry too much. Have two more families who are both "rare" beef folks who buy their beef. No problems have occurred over several years.  Keep in mind that butchers cut deep into the carcass to make the various cuts for us anyhow! How often do they sterilize their knives?
  • #44 by Bentley on 17 Mar 2023
  • I can't really say as I have never bought their GB or cooked chicken. I eat their other cuts of beef at 130-140° all the time.  And I have cooked & eaten their raw chicken many times, but it is always at least 155°!

• #45 by 1MoreFord on 18 Mar 2023
  • A local store had Tri Tip on sale for $3.95/ lb., .......................................................... Any recommendations?

Yes, next time that happens buy all you can take care of $$$ and spacewise.

p
Pages:
Actions