Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by hughver on 19 Mar 2023

• Yes, next time that happens buy all you can take care of $$$ and spacewise.
    Too late, this week .97 /lb. pork butts. I' going to change gears.

• #47 by elenis on 19 Mar 2023
  • Just a CYA statement.  I trust Costco meat, the facilities it is packaged in and the people processing it.  So I don't care if it has been blade tenderized.  I am going to cook it to the temperature I want!

Hmmm.  How far does that trust extend?  Would you eat Costco hamburger at <165°F?  Do you have the same trust in their chicken products?
    Costco butcher told me that they follow a strict protocol for the blade tenderizer and sterilize it after a specific length of use time. However, that may not prevent pushing external contaminants from surface into deep meat. We are "medium" done on our beef and well done on pork, fish etc. Since Costco moves a tremendous amount of beef, and I always try to pic the most recently processed date and either cook or freeze, I don't worry too much. Have two more families who are both "rare" beef folks who buy their beef. No problems have occurred over several years.  Keep in mind that butchers cut deep into the carcass to make the various cuts for us anyhow! How often do they sterilize their knives?

Well as long as the room they are working in is being properly cleaned they wouldn't have contaminated knives to begin with. The really dirty area of the slaughter houses is rather significantly separated from the rest of the operation when they send the carcasses in for processing. I know my local meat shop that has 6 full time butchers on staff for what looks like a tiny gas station and grocery store typically has a slight sent of bleach from all the cleaning they do as they go and when they do finally cleaning each evening.
  • #48 by okie smokie on 21 Mar 2023
  • As promised. 2.7 lb Trisket. Montreal Steak seasoning. 1070 set to 225*.
    3.5 hrs naked, no peak.
    Transferred to kitchen oven set to 225* after 2 oz of Campbell's canned beef broth, and painted with smoked beef tallow (smoked at same time) wrapped with foil. Trisket temp at transfer was 155*. Oven turned off after 3.5 hrs at 225*. Internal temp 207*.Left wrapped in oven for 30 minutes with door ajar. Best Trisket yet. Moist, very tender, great flavor. Taste and texture like a good brisket! I believe the beef tallow compensated for the absent fat cap. 

• #49 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Mar 2023
  • Looks great.  I will take half a pound, please. ;D
  • #50 by BigDave83 on 21 Mar 2023
  • that looks excellent. I need to see if I can order a couple someplace local.
  • #51 by Bentley on 21 Mar 2023
  • And I guess this is what I don't understand.  You take a 7-8$? cut of beef and you are making it taste like what you could get from a $4 cut of beef!  To me, it would b like taking a Rib-eye steak and trying to make it taste like Pot Roast!

Moist, very tender, great flavor. Taste and texture like a good brisket!
  • #52 by elenis on 21 Mar 2023
  • And I guess this is what I don't understand.  You take a 7-8$? cut of beef and you are making it taste like what you could get from a $4 cut of beef!  To me, it would b like taking a Rib-eye steak and trying to make it taste like Pot Roast!

Tri-tip is normally something you would do like any other steak, to your preferred doneness on a grill, right? I have been noodling picking up one of the Masterbuilt Gravity series so I have something for doing something that I don't currently have a outdoor cooker for. I don't have anything that uses charcoal for burgers and hotdogs and the "normal" backyard cookout type stuff. It also has a rotisserie that would be mighty nice to have. I have my blackstone for smash burgers and stir fry and breakfast and the like, a pellet pizza oven, and a tiny yakitori grill, plus my smoker. I figure if I get one of these all I might need outside yet is a deep fryer and I wouldn't need to cook inside at all.
  • #53 by BigDave83 on 22 Mar 2023

For me I would try it just because I am the only one that would eat it here. No brisket eaters other than myself, but then I guess I could get a chuck roast and have similar.
  • #54 by okie smokie on 22 Mar 2023

I see your point, however, consider: $4/ lb brisket after you have trimmed it down is about a $5.50/ lb brisket. And if you trimmed it as lean as the TT maybe even a $6.00 lb brisket. (not considering the time and effort involved). BUT my main consideration is that with just two of us, the brisket is too much and much has to be split into portions and frozen, or shared with local family. So basically I prefer the Trisket, for size and ease of preparation, and shorter smoking time. And after the main dinner, it provides several days of super sammies for lunch and/or supper. And since I finally have learned how to get tender, juicy and brisket -like end product, I am content. Will do the big brisket for family gatherings.  $21 for this one. For at least 3 meals ain't so bad.

• #55 by ScottE on 23 Mar 2023
  • Prices vary regionally - around here brisket can be more expensive than tri-tip, and another consideration is the size which okie smokie already mentioned. Regardless, I think people should cook whatever ingredients however they want to. I've done tri-tip with this method too, and it turned out great with no regrets.
Pages:
Actions