Accessories & Essentials > Equipment -- grill grates, grill mats, brushes, covers, tongs, etc.

VacMaster - Care and Cultivation

<< < (2/2)

JoeGrilling:
My VP320 has only been in service for less than 18 months.  However, the oil was pretty dirty.  The first oil change was milky yellow with brown crud in it.  My second oil change was milky white.  I was told the milky color comes from moisture.

I think the oil change frequency is dependent of what your sealing.  Most of what we seal are cutup meat that has been already barbecued or homemade soup.  Compared to frozen fresh meat, the I think the cooked stuff is more likely to out gas crud.

Bentley:
So the oil never come in contact with the food, even airborne? 

You are supposed to use bar chain oil in a chain saw. It goes for any where from $7-$11/gal.  For 9 years I have put used motor oil & used hydraulic oil in my Husqvarna's.  Have not missed a beat or ever been a wear issue.

My questions are, what type of oil do these units use?  How much does it cost?  And what would happen if you used vegetable oil, or hydraulic oil in theses devices?  Although a gallon of vegetable oil is probably more then $11 now that I think of it!

JoeGrilling:

--- Quote from: Bentley on June 10, 2022, 09:21:01 PM ---So the oil never come in contact with the food, even airborne? 

You are supposed to use bar chain oil in a chain saw. It goes for any where from $7-$11/gal.  For 9 years I have put used motor oil & used hydraulic oil in my Husqvarna's.  Have not missed a beat or ever been a wear issue.

My questions are, what type of oil do these units use?  How much does it cost?  And what would happen if you used vegetable oil, or hydraulic oil in theses devices?  Although a gallon of vegetable oil is probably more then $11 now that I think of it!

--- End quote ---

It's airborne contamination.  My wife puts a little juice in the bag when sealing leftovers like brisket.  It amazes people we over for BBQ that the liquid boils during the vacuum packing process.  We have to be careful with soups to avoid a mess in the chamber.  We typically put the unsealed soup bags in the refrigerator or the freezer for a few hours before sealing to keep boiling at a minimum.

These units use a special SAE10 hydraulic oil.  My guess is the stuff is nontoxic.  The recommended oil is not cheap.  It runs $50-65 a gallon.  The stated oil capacity on my pump is 1 cup or actually 200 ml = .85 cups to fill to the center line.  I can get 13 oil changes out of a gallon.  I tend not to substitute oil on expensive equipment though my chainsaws have used motor oil from time to time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View