Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stock up on Mustard for Those Summer BBQ's and Sauces!  (Read 302 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Stock up on Mustard for Those Summer BBQ's and Sauces!
« on: June 23, 2022, 12:37:44 PM »

I just read that mustard could be in short supply this summer:

"With Canada being the world’s number one producer of mustard seeds, severe hot weather in the country’s southern region earlier this year is being cited as a larger part of the problem. According to AG Canada, mustard plants that would typically produce eight to 10 seeds in a pod, eked out a mere four to six seeds this year. Poor harvests brought on by bad climate in France have only compounded the issue of the reserve.

Reine de Dijon is one of France’s largest mustard producers. Christophe Planes, a sales director for the company, told French state-owned news organization France24 that the current shortage is unprecedented. “We’re in a crisis we haven’t seen for 25 years. The price of seeds has gone up three or four times, and maybe five times soon,” Planes told the outlet. “And, on top of that, there is no supply. The scarcity is such that we have a potential 50 percent decrease in seeds... so our production is down 50 percent.”

The ongoing war in Ukraine has also led to adverse effects on the mustard supply chain. In 2020, both Russia and Ukraine were ranked as the third and fifth most significant exporters of mustard seeds in the world, respectively."

Might be time to get an extra bottle or two if you consume a lot.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Stock up on Mustard for Those Summer BBQ's and Sauces!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 01:58:24 PM »

Not simply mustard my dear.  The tip of the iceberg is about to appear food shortage wise.   Weather & war are the culprits..  All reminiscent  of toilet paper at the start of Covid.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Stock up on Mustard for Those Summer BBQ's and Sauces!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 02:09:40 PM »

Yep, two weeks ago, it was Sriracha that was going to be having a shortage.  I don't see these shortages ending for several years and maybe 5+.  Not many companies will be wanting to make investments to increase capacity with interest rates going up.  Only two ways to get out of these troubles - increase supply or decrease demand.  I don't see supply increasing.  It may take a shock to world economies to get a lot of markets supply and demand re-aligned.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up