Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood stuck in auger  (Read 354 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Wood stuck in auger
« on: July 13, 2022, 08:40:12 AM »

thought I would address an issue I recently had with my 2 Star.  It has to do with the pellets (pit boss ) that I am using.  To begin on Memorial Day I had a flame out. I called MAK (IMO their customer service is the absolute best) and we determined the ceramic igniter went bad.  They sent me a new one which I installed.  I tested it on a couple of cooks and it worked fine,  Last week i had a major cook for my neighbor's 90 birthday.  Unfortunately the 2 Star started out fine then stalled and would not get to temp.  So I had to finish the food another way.  I also di not have time to diagnose or trouble shoot the issue.  so again I called MAK discussed a number of possibilities to include a bad igniter and thermocouple.   So before installing the new pieces I took out all of the pellets and noticed a small piece of wood that had jammed the auger and prevented it from turning.  I removed the piece with a pair of long nose pliers sifted the pellets before putting them back in and fired up the 2 Star.  The MAK worked like a charm.  The photo show the type of wood that was in with the pellets only the one that caused the issue was even thicker.

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Wood stuck in auger
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 09:22:03 AM »

Wow, yeah that kind of debris in a bag of pellets is a really bad thing! I've been using my dust vacuum contraption for all bags of pellets, and I think I'll continue to do so after reading this, even if the bad isn't dusty - gives me a chance to inspect them all. Glad you got the smoker m back up and running!
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 09:51:45 AM »

I have mostly always sifted & never found anything like that..Fines & small pellet pieces only....   If those wood slivers got into the bag, almost anything else could.. If you don't sift, using a scoop; bag to

hopper & watching the scoop content pour out is the next best way to go.

This reminds me of lump charcoal. It's not uncommon to find debris: mostly small stones.. All kinds of things have been found from fence wire to insulation.. Part of the processing is on the ground. That

explains  why. Not the case with pellets.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 11:19:42 AM »

I had the same issue last year, and have yet to address it on my MAK with I think the same brand of pellets.  My plan was to empty the hopper and do the same thing that you did.  Thanks for confirming my hunch.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »

I had the same issue last year, and have yet to address it on my MAK with I think the same brand of pellets.  My plan was to empty the hopper and do the same thing that you did.  Thanks for confirming my hunch.
You have got my curiosity aroused. Let us know what you find Lew.  We shouldn't come to any conclusions or make any judgements re this brand of pellets until then...It very well could have been a one of a

kind, fluke, or?

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 02:18:55 PM »

thought I would address an issue I recently had with my 2 Star.  It has to do with the pellets (pit boss ) that I am using.  To begin on Memorial Day I had a flame out. I called MAK (IMO their customer service is the absolute best) and we determined the ceramic igniter went bad.  They sent me a new one which I installed.  I tested it on a couple of cooks and it worked fine,  Last week i had a major cook for my neighbor's 90 birthday.  Unfortunately the 2 Star started out fine then stalled and would not get to temp.  So I had to finish the food another way.  I also di not have time to diagnose or trouble shoot the issue.  so again I called MAK discussed a number of possibilities to include a bad igniter and thermocouple.   So before installing the new pieces I took out all of the pellets and noticed a small piece of wood that had jammed the auger and prevented it from turning.  I removed the piece with a pair of long nose pliers sifted the pellets before putting them back in and fired up the 2 Star.  The MAK worked like a charm.  The photo show the type of wood that was in with the pellets only the one that caused the issue was even thicker.

I hadn't heard of one of the newer types of igniters failing before. I agree that they have wonderful support when I have needed it. I have been lucky with not having any augur jams thankfully.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »

I had issues with a bag of pellets where some were about 2+" long and they jammed up my auger. I took a gallon bucket and filled partial with some of the pellets from the bag and started breaking them down with the hammer. Never had a problem with the rest of the bag.  Never have seen that type of wood before in a bag of pellets. Almost looks like 2 x 4 shavings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up