Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by smokymtnjonny on 16 Jul 2022
  • Jon here (smokymtnjonny) from East Tennessee. Was on pelletheads back in the day. Been a pellet griller off and on since 1995. First grill was a 1995 Traeger BBQ 100, back when no one even knew what they were :D. Was out of it for several years after a disappointing experience with GMG (tight temp, but no flavor). I currently have an old Lil Tex that I found on FB with the 3 speed controller. I’m a big fan of that controller, as, to my taste buds, they just produce more flavor than the PID controllers I’ve tried. Anyway, great to be here!
  • #2 by Canadian John on 16 Jul 2022

•  Nice to have you back & enjoying that 3 speed L'il Tex..
  • #3 by urnmor on 16 Jul 2022
  • Welcome back
  • #4 by smokymtnjonny on 16 Jul 2022
  • Thanks, John!
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 16 Jul 2022
  • Welcome aboard Jon.
  • #6 by jdmessner on 16 Jul 2022
  • Good to hear from you! I have a vintage (old) Trager from back in the day. It has two hoppers, predates hotrods, and has the three speed controller like yours. I do think you are right about the flavor. I love the food from that grill. However, it is quite large and bulky, so unless I am cooking for a crowd I don't usually pull it out.
  • #7 by smokymtnjonny on 16 Jul 2022
  • Thanks, urnmor! I agree, JD. That 3 speed makes a difference! My old BBQ 100 had to be started with alcohol gel as well! Good times! I’d like to see a picture of your Traeger!
  • #8 by smokymtnjonny on 16 Jul 2022
  • Thanks, Bruce!
  • #9 by jdmessner on 19 Jul 2022
  • Thanks, urnmor! I agree, JD. That 3 speed makes a difference! My old BBQ 100 had to be started with alcohol gel as well! Good times! I’d like to see a picture of your Traeger!

Here are some pictures of the grill. I bought it for a $100 from a guy who had it in a pole barn at a church camp. He hadn't used it in the seven years he worked there and wanted the storage space. Probably the best $100 I ever spent.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #10 by jdmessner on 19 Jul 2022
  • Johnny, now it is your turn! Do you have any pics of the 100, or your current grill?
  • #11 by smokymtnjonny on 19 Jul 2022
  • Beautiful, JD! It’s like a double BBQ100!!! Here’s my mom’s old BBQ 100. I had to put a new temp sensor in it last week.
  • #12 by pmillen on 20 Jul 2022
  • Welcome back to the gathering, Jon.  I agree with your conclusion as to the way controllers affect the smoke flavor.
  • #13 by smokymtnjonny on 20 Jul 2022
  • Thanks for the welcome, Paul! Yes, after years of using the three speed, the old p setting temp controller, and a PID, the 3 speed wins my tastebuds every time!
Pages:
Actions