Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Cleans The Outside and Polishes Their Stainless Smokers  (Read 471 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.

Is it worth the trouble? I am inclined to keep the interior scraped and vacuumed when needed but not very inclined to worry about the exterior as long as it is not likely to rust. What do you stainless steel fans do?

BigDave83

• South West PA
Re: Who Cleans The Outside and Polishes Their Stainless Smokers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 05:27:41 PM »

Only SS I have is the lid on my GMG, I have not cleaned it in a while. The whole cooker needs cleaned so I will try to clean it and shine it some when I do that. I also want to do some other things to it when I clean it. For the most part I don't get to excited about clean cookers, I clean the grates and the drip pan more than the outside.I guess it may be different if it was part of a nice outdoor kitchen but it just gets rolled out side the garage when I use it.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 05:41:09 PM »

I clean it the best I can.
Use Greased Lightening (occasionally Barkeepers Friend when necessary) to remove the smoke and Sprayway SS  Cleaner/Polish.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 06:01:42 PM »

I wipe mine down

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 06:13:10 PM »

Rarely do anything on the outside of my MAK or Memphis
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 07:06:30 PM »

I tend to go along with Lew.  Never have been to a really great old fashioned Pit BBQ joint and seen any shiny, soot free, pits. Either inside or outside the pits.  I occasionally wipe the excess soot off the exhaust area inside and out, but that's it.  :bbq:

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 07:59:05 PM »

Cleanliness is next to godliness.  It’s a PITA to keep grills and smokers clean but I am picky about such things.  I also read health department inspections before I go to unknown restaurants.  :2cents:

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 09:22:07 PM »

Cleanliness is next to godliness.  It’s a PITA to keep grills and smokers clean but I am picky about such things.  I also read health department inspections before I go to unknown restaurants.  :2cents:

Some of the best food I have eaten has been eaten in places I would not want to even think about reading health dept inspections.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 10:26:43 PM »

Every 4 or 5 years...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

okie smokie

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 10:34:03 PM »

We are not talking about cleanliness here. My pit is clean externally, just not shiny new looking or free of stains. You might say it is conditioned on the outside as well as inside. I'll probably take an afternoon every now and then to work it over but will not get all teary when I can't get it back to new again.
Bentley I'll be happy to clean my BS every 4-5 years. I'm 86 now. Will be interesting to see how that goes. :clap: :clap:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 10:39:37 PM by okie smokie »

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 07:36:39 AM »

ME!   I am in the  Darwin Camp.

Yes it's a PITA.   Why do I do it?  Can't really say other than I was raised to take care of things.. Working with tools paid dividends keeping them clean & in place..   My vehicle is the same. Clean with a nice

protective shine .

Back to the pit. Not only is it clean & new looking. It's ready to go @ a moments notice. Feels good to me. 

urnmor

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 08:14:32 AM »

Cleanliness is next to godliness.    I also read health department inspections before I go to unknown restaurants.  :2cents:

IMO the best way for a customer to check on the cleanliness are the toilets they are unlike the kitchen open to public scrutiny.  If they cannot keep them clean then I doubt the kitchen is much cleaner.

Canadian John

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 10:58:07 AM »

Cleanliness is next to godliness.    I also read health department inspections before I go to unknown restaurants.  :2cents:

IMO the best way for a customer to check on the cleanliness are the toilets they are unlike the kitchen open to public scrutiny.  If they cannot keep them clean then I doubt the kitchen is much cleaner.
So true.. I Find there is a close correlation most of the time.

Canadian John

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 11:15:18 AM »

Just a note on cleaning stainless steel.. A Chromium oxideis layer is what makes stainless, stainless. Some kinds of cleaning can remove this extremely thin layer leading to corrosion. Most stainless steel

polish/cleaners contain mineral oil. The oil helps protect the steel should the chromium oxide layer be removed or damaged.  Cleaning alone may lead to corrosion.

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 07:54:03 PM »

I’m the same way.  I always look around and if anything gives me concern I turn and leave.  I assume my friends and guests think the same way as I do. 

Club soda works on stainless after the grease and grim is removed.  I use Dawn for the exterior.
Pages: [1]   Go Up