Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy little mistakes  (Read 412 times)

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Happy little mistakes
« on: July 21, 2022, 09:03:13 PM »

Ok shoot me for the Bob Ross reference  ;D

Unremarkable rib cook.   Though the ribs were near perfectly shaped and trimmed.   Season, timing, foil,  all within what we’re all done hundreds of times.   

Backstory, we had an event catered (just too many commitments to do myself) and we had quite a bit of left over bbq sauce …. And a sweet balsamic vinaigrette. I was going for dry ribs tonight. Wife likes sauced.   As I was finishing brushing the sauce I realized I used the leftover balsamic not the bbq.   I let it set for 10 and then applied the bbq sauce for a second set.   

I was really happy with the layers of flavor.   Pork, rub, balsamic and then the bbq sauce.   They actually complemented.   One of my best mistakes.   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 12:03:28 PM by dk117 »
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

dk117

Re: Happy little mistakes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 09:03:41 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 09:22:00 PM »

I could see that working out. Not a big fan of Balsamic vinegar but it would probably be good as a back flavor enhancement.

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 06:47:37 AM »

Sounds as if you found a way to enhance flavor. The meal looks delicious

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 08:12:39 AM »

I did that making chicken wings once.  Had a Raichlen book with 100 different recipes.  Found three that I liked.  Was going to make a batch of each.  Was drinking and ended up getting distracted and someone ended up comingling recipes.  Everyone loved them.  Unfortunately, it was on a visit back to PA before I moved back here from IL.  So, for the next 4-6 weekends, my wife had to be the guinea pig to help me figure out what I did by trial and error.  We nailed it one weekend and I've been making them that way almost ever since.  Melt butter in a pan, mix in dried rosemary and dry ranch dressing powder to form a roux and then mix in your favorite hot sauce.  Cook wings to your liking on grill/smoker.  Mix on bowl or container with sauce.  Put back on grill to let sauce set in wings.  Pull off grill and eat.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 09:37:46 AM »

Ribs look great.

I'm guessing that is how many recipes are created, by accidents gone good.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 02:11:47 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 10:35:33 AM »

Several years ago our former neighbor made some cookies and forgot to use all of the flour until he had them baking.  There was alcohol involved.  He pulled them out and they were still soft so he mixed the rest of the flour in and then back in the oven.  He over cooked them a little after that.  He gave us some and said they were actually good.  My wife and daughter said they were the best cookies they've ever had.  He could never duplicate them.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 01:19:34 PM »

Melt butter in a pan, mix in dried rosemary and dry ranch dressing powder to form a roux and then mix in your favorite hot sauce.  Cook wings to your liking on grill/smoker.  Mix on bowl or container with sauce.  Put back on grill to let sauce set in wings.  Pull off grill and eat.

Gee, Lew.  That deserves to be a posted recipe.  If it isn't, it won't get nearly the views it deserves.  (I'll not find it if I only look at the posted wing recipes or only search for "wings" in titles.)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 02:13:09 PM »

I agree with Paul.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 03:38:22 PM »

I don't know if you could claim my few sentences to be a recipe as I have no measurements, and usually don't when I cook.  I cook buy look, feel, and taste most of the time.  If I make some this Fall, I will see if I can take some measurements and post a recipe.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up