Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pork Tenderloin tonight  (Read 476 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Pork Tenderloin tonight
« on: July 22, 2022, 07:17:44 PM »

I picked up a package of pork tenderloins at Costco a while back. I froze one of the dual packages (2 loins/pkg.) and am marinading the other for supper. I used my Anova chamber sealer to do a quick marinade on the two remaining loins. I'll leave one in the fridge for two hours and the other one for four hours. It will be interesting to see what the effects of quick marinading will be. More to follow.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
Re: Pork Tenderloin tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 11:07:40 PM »

I look forward to seeing your thoughts. I don't see how vac sealing will really do much other than keep the marinade close to the meat. I can see how a container with the meat and marinade could help with getting the flavors in.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 06:47:43 AM »

Part of the equation  will be the cook/smoke temperature.  Please let us know.

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 07:01:15 AM »

Following

hughver

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 11:47:47 AM »

I look forward to seeing your thoughts. I don't see how vac sealing will really do much other than keep the marinade close to the meat. I can see how a container with the meat and marinade could help with getting the flavors in.

They claim that keeping it under vacuum opens the pores of the meat thus allowing more of the marinade to be absorbed.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 12:15:27 PM »

I removed the first one after marinading for 2 hours, seasoned it with Oakridge's Secret Weapon, and smoked it to 138° IT on the Traeger set to 225°, it took around two hours, using Cooking Pellets hickory pellets. It's been a while since I have cooked pork tenderloin, so I don't have a recent experience to compare the flavor with. However, the flavor was excellent, and it was exceptionally moist. I left the second one in the bag overnight. Rinsed it this morning seasoned it and re-vacuum packed it. I'll try this one sous vide and sear. I served it with peach chutney purchased from a farm in Georgia.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 12:20:32 PM by hughver »

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 12:32:05 PM »

Looks like it turned out great!
I have cooked pork loin before, but the pork tenderloin I make Canadian Bacon out of.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 01:11:05 PM »

They claim that keeping it under vacuum opens the pores of the meat thus allowing more of the marinade to be absorbed.

I have read that in places also, but my mind tells me vacuum, pulls not pushes. Now in a marinading container I can see how the meat fibers would open up more and then when the vacuum seal is broken and the air rushes it it would also push some of the marinade in to the meat. I remember the old TV commercials for one of the vacuum machines, where they had marshmallows in one of the containers and pulled a vacuum and those marshmallows really expanded/stretched, then when the air was left back in they shrunk back up.

No matter what the tenderloin looks pretty tasty.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 01:24:30 PM »

That sounds and looks terrific.  Was it a heavily-flavored marinade (oil, spices, herbs and vinegar)?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 01:51:04 PM »

That sounds and looks terrific.  Was it a heavily-flavored marinade (oil, spices, herbs and vinegar)?

I used Oakridge Pork Soak. the package says it's a brine, but the instructions say soak for several hours like a marinade. I would guess that it helped the flavor. it was not strong but noticeable.

hughver

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 02:07:33 PM »

I don't see how vac sealing will really do much other than keep the marinade close to the meat. I can see how a container with the meat and marinade could help with getting the flavors in.

A vacuum bag is a container, the meat and liquid are under vacuum in both cases. The room temperature liquid in the bag or hard container actually boils just before it's done. I have a device that is a rotating drum that is vacuum sealed, that I use to use it for marinating roast or large quantities. It's now in the graveyard of retired toys.

[/quote]

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 05:05:23 PM »

That Tenderloin is some good stuff!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 06:24:15 PM »

This post made me pick one up when I was out over the weekend. This was a Smithfield Black Pepper/Garlic I think is how it was labeled.

Tossed it in the DC at 160° for about 30 minutes then bumped the temp some, then a little more to kind of hurry it along as I misjudged how long it would take. Cooked until 142° internal and until the pierogies were finished. Was pretty good, the black pepper had a bit of spice to it. This was the first time with this flavor.

hughver

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 07:00:13 PM »

Looks good, very moist!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 07:03:54 PM »

What brand and flavor where the pierogies and how did you cook them?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up