Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pit Temperature Swings  (Read 193 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Pit Temperature Swings
« on: July 25, 2022, 11:46:37 AM »

Way back in the early days of pellet pits, temperature swings were @ or near the top topics we discussed - no more mainly due to better controllers.

The following quote from Thermoworks touches on this very subject with the introduction of the Dot Square that displays an "average" temperature. 

When you set your oven to 350°F, it could actually heat much higher, by as much as 20 degrees or more. This temperature difference means your food will likely end up overcooked on the outside while underdone in the middle.

Verify your oven’s ACTUAL internal temperature with Square DOT and its revolutionary Average Mode.

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Pit Temperature Swings
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 02:22:18 PM »

Interesting.  I haven't worried about this for ... ages, early PH days.  New controllers I agree, but also the knowledge that our ovens also have some fluctuation beyond what is on the display (frankly that was a bit of an eye opener).  I moved on and took in stride the swings and hopefully a bit of good smoke coming from those swings.

I do however use my thermapen regularly towards the end of most cooks. 
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Pit Temperature Swings
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 05:04:43 PM »

That whole myth was part of the reasons I bought the Memphis and the MAK years ago because the Traeger fluctuated so much.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up