Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 02ebz06 on 29 Jul 2022
  • Since I've sold my house, my Memphis Elite will stay here and I will be looking for a new grill in a month or so.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if there is another brand (USA Made) that uses the pellet feed mechanism like Memphis does.
    The mechanism makes auger fires near impossible.

• #2 by pmillen on 29 Jul 2022
  • The Cookshack Fast Eddy series have a pellet drop system similar to Memphis'.  Also, the fire pot isn't below the grease tray, dramatically reducing the possibility of a grease fire.

• #3 by 02ebz06 on 29 Jul 2022
  • Thanks

Where did you find that picture ?  I found very little info/pictures for the PG1000 on the Cookshack website. Even the spec sheet was limited.
    Would like to see the inside.  I'm concerned about the direct flame area.
    I would not use the direct flame area, so would be a waste of space if it can't be used for regular BBQing.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 29 Jul 2022
  •  Just as Paul stated....  Also & what you may mis is the easy cleaning the Memplis provides.. The PG series Cookshack appears to me to be an an easy clean. It would be @ the top of my buy listi if opting out of

a Memphis.

There used to be a lot of Cookshack posts here & on Pellet Heads. They are either are gone, trouble free with nothing to report or the few issues gotten used to.

Anyone with a PG Cookshack should comment on their experiences.
  • #5 by pmillen on 29 Jul 2022
  • Thanks

Where did you find that picture ?

I'm concerned about the direct flame area.
    I would not use the direct flame area, so would be a waste of space if it can't be used for regular BBQing.

Picture is several years old from the CS web site.

You are correct.  The direct flame area is not suitable for smoking.  It may be the original direct flame area for grilling.

The far right side is the commonly used smoking and roasting area as is the top rack.  The rack above the far right side will be roughly 20% hotter.  The left top area (I rarely use it) will be somewhat hotter—probably another 20% hotter.

Experienced users become adept at moving items around in the temperature zones when they're packing the pit full.

The direct flame area is perfect for reverse searing.  A warming drawer keeps early finishers warm while the remainder cook and is useful for cold smoking.
  • #6 by pmillen on 29 Jul 2022
  • Having said all of that, if I were looking for a new pit I'd seriously investigate the Cookshack FEC100.
  • #7 by Bentley on 29 Jul 2022
  • It cant, that is where the combustion chamber is!

• #8 by 02ebz06 on 29 Jul 2022
  • It cant, that is where the combustion chamber is!

Kinda what I figured. Was hoping they had a thick plate or something to go over it to reduce the heat.

==============================================================================

Having said all of that, if I were looking for a new pit I'd seriously investigate the Cookshack FEC100.

FEC100 is nice, but I think I need a grill format rather than a vertical smoker.
    We make bread in the Memphis grill, not sure how well a vertical smoker would do that.

Now I have the CampChef vertical smoker and it is primarily for smoking cheese and jerky.
    That will go with us.

• #9 by BigDave83 on 29 Jul 2022
  • When I was buying I really wanted a MAK 2 Star or a PG1000. But out of budget then  and even more so currently. A local guy bought a 2 Star and I looked a it when I went to pick up pellets that I was hooked up with for an LJ group buy. It was a very nice cooker, and he said he loved it.

When I saw an FEC100 in person I really liked that, but for what I cook today would be way over kill.

There was a guy in Baltimore if I remember that was making a really good looking cooker Dreamwerks I think. That was a long time ago.
  • #10 by glitchy on 29 Jul 2022
  • Since you specifically said USA made, you are aware Memphis is made in China as of a couple years ago?

Although auger fires are a lot more rare on newer pits and I love my MAK, but I’ll add that I believe Yoder and LSG both have drop feed fire pots. The LSG pellet smokers look very nice.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Jul 2022
  • Since you specifically said USA made, you are aware Memphis is made in China as of a couple years ago?

Although auger fires are a lot more rare on newer pits and I love my MAK, but I’ll add that I believe Yoder and LSG both have drop feed fire pots. The LSG pellet smokers look very nice.

MAK2* must be good if you have kept it for as long as you have ;)
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 30 Jul 2022

I had not know that Memphis had switched to Chinese made when I ordered it.
    I was pi$$ed when it arrived and I saw Made in China on the box, and that's why I don't want to buy one again.
    I buy USA Made whenever I can.

Thanks for the tip on Yoder and LSG.  I will check them out.

• #13 by 02ebz06 on 30 Jul 2022
  • I'm liking the Yoder a lot.
    Only negatives, not stainless and high pellet consumption.
    Would probably have to have a hopper extender made to add an extra 6 or 8 pounds.
    Only gets 12 hours out of 20 pounds. Guess due to being single wall.
    12 hours would be close for doing a brisket.
  • #14 by glitchy on 30 Jul 2022
  • The Lone Star Grillz has a huge hopper if that’s a concern for you. Though you can fill them mid cook ;-)
  • #15 by Brushpopper on 30 Jul 2022
  • Take a look at Pitts and Spitts also.  It has a traditional auger but I've never had an issue.  Mine is a pellet miser, but of course this heat we have been having helps some I'm guessing.
Pages:
Actions