Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by 02ebz06 on 02 Aug 2022
  • Looks like the same controller I have.
    As it is impossible to have the set and actual the same 100% of the time, I'm sure they do some type of time averaging to keep actual close to set.
    I do see mine fluctuate from time to time, but normally not by more than a degree or two.
    Even the Savannah Stoker controller on my CampChef keeps the temps fairly close, and I know for certain there are swings in it.

The averaging keeps the unknowing customer happy, and avoids the calls they would get to customer service about the swings if it didn't have the averaging.

• #17 by okie smokie on 02 Aug 2022
  • There’s only one pit probe in the grill, right? I kinda feel like they were pulling your leg about the average of six. Maybe testing the determined the best location from 6 choices? Regardless, if there’s only one pit probe, that’s all they can read from and go by in the wild. There’s no way to average something that’s not there. Anyway, I haven’t read every detail, but have you put a probe within say half an inch of where the BS pit probe is to see if it is reading accurately?

From afar, hearing you talk about 30 seconds of fan for an hour of burning sounds like a controller or logic problem.
    The "one probe" only happened when I received the Square Dot--to test it out.  The other tests were with 3 probes, left center, middle center and right center each time.  The RTD is a new replacement that was sent to me after the grease fire on my first cook. As for the "problem", I agree with you that it is a controller or logic problem. That is what I hope to prove with the new? control that Memphis is sending.
  • #18 by okie smokie on 02 Aug 2022
  • Looks like the same controller I have.
    As it is impossible to have the set and actual the same 100% of the time, I'm sure they do some type of time averaging to keep actual close to set.
    I do see mine fluctuate from time to time, but normally not by more than a degree or two.
    Even the Savannah Stoker controller on my CampChef keeps the temps fairly close, and I know for certain there are swings in it.

The averaging keeps the unknowing customer happy, and avoids the calls they would get to customer service about the swings if it didn't have the averaging.
    Yes, they say it is averaged, that's how it should work. I think my control just interprets the temp incorrectly and reacts incorrectly. As they say in computer talk "garbage in, garbage out".
  • #19 by okie smokie on 03 Aug 2022
  • Getting back to the 1070, I just spoke to RT tech and asked some general questions. The 1070 body is 430 SS, The fire pot, drip tray, and grates are all 304 SS. The main difference between the 590 and 1070 structurally, is that the auger tube and fire pot are below the barrel in the 1070, whereas they are in the barrel on the 590. Which allowed them to make the narrower hopper deep enough to hold 30 lbs of pellets. Good idea anyhow, as top of the fire pot is flush? (not sure about that) with the floor of the barrel. He said that there was really not heat loss from this position. (I guess because the fan blows the heat upward).  The 700 has the tube and fire pot above the barrel floor.
    Also, the 1070 body SS is 16 gauge. While the Memphis BS body is only 18 gauge! (Memphis is mostly double walled however).
    Just FYI.
  • #20 by okie smokie on 04 Aug 2022
  • Control issues discussed on my BS thread from this point, as that is where it was brought to light.
  • #21 by okie smokie on 06 Aug 2022
  • Meanwhile, new 1070 ordered with the cover as well. I also have my GrillGrates from the 590 which I will clean up and use for searing.  (upside down). I was told that the PID control has only been changed to accommodate the new 3 rpm auger which replaced the slower previous auger. New auger increases top temp to 700* instead of previous 600*. IMO 600* was enough to get good searing with GG's. Anxious to get back to reliable low/slow cooking.
  • #22 by BigDave83 on 07 Aug 2022
  • I forget what took you away from RT last time?
  • #23 by okie smokie on 07 Aug 2022
  • I forget what took you away from RT last time?
    Thought I was upgrading and also to have open flame option. Turns out the open flame gadget on the Beale Street requires time off for the steaks while you heat it up and change the flavorizer for the flamerize gadget. So I was able to achieve good sear with GG at 550*without the flame gadget. And as you know the BS was not an upgrade after all because of poor low/slow temp control. What I did not comment on is that the BS was also a disappointment as far as gauge and quality of the 430SS. Like it was built out of tin can material.  I noted as I removed the side shelves that there were rust spots where the metal contacted metal and also where there were food drippings that I had failed to remove early. No excuse. For that price they should have delivered a sturdier structure and better grade of 430. I think Memphis took advantage of their reputation and produced a poor unit. If you can find any significant number of good actual BS owner reviews on the web, I would be surprised. (I don't believe the marketing reviews).  My old RT590 SS was thicker and no external rust after 2.5 years.

• #24 by BigDave83 on 07 Aug 2022
  • Marketing is the key to sales. you really have to look no further than RECTEC. they make nothing but money. The factory in China builds for them, they buy predesigned cookers like the 590 and then have the company that build change specs to what they  want. Even the first one the 680 was based on the Treager Texas as far as dimensions. And there was a company in Germany I believe that was selling a cooker identical to the 680 before RT started selling them.

Not saying it is a bad thing, money is money, marketing and censored ratings are just parts of it all, no matter the brand.
  • #25 by okie smokie on 07 Aug 2022
  • Marketing is the key to sales. you really have to look no further than RECTEC. they make nothing but money. The factory in China builds for them, they buy predesigned cookers like the 590 and then have the company that build change specs to what they  want. Even the first one the 680 was based on the Treager Texas as far as dimensions. And there was a company in Germany I believe that was selling a cooker identical to the 680 before RT started selling them.

Not saying it is a bad thing, money is money, marketing and censored ratings are just parts of it all, no matter the brand.
    I don't care who makes them(I would rather it not be China), its the end result that counts. The RT590 is the best I've seen. I bought two more for my kids, and they have cooked continuously for the past 3 years, with no complaints. One keeps his clean inside and out and one ignores that kind of attention and turns out great cooks. Like I said, I should have kept mine. The new model has a cast iron deflector replacing the old warping kind, a higher speed auger for higher temps, and the 1070 is an upgraded version.

I was surprised that there are scarce customer reviews of the BS. After all it has been out for about 3-4 years now. The only true consumer review I saw was for 3 units. Two were strong positive and one was very bad. Kinda like "don't criticize the sacred cow". Kind of reminds me of the Porsche 944. 
  • #26 by childjulia on 26 Jul 2023
  • I’m Still having the same issue
  • #27 by Canadian John on 27 Jul 2023
  • There’s only one pit probe in the grill, right? I kinda feel like they were pulling your leg about the average of six. Maybe testing the determined the best location from 6 choices? Regardless, if there’s only one pit probe, that’s all they can read from and go by in the wild. There’s no way to average something that’s not there. Anyway, I haven’t read every detail, but have you put a probe within say half an inch of where the BS pit probe is to see if it is reading accurately?

From afar, hearing you talk about 30 seconds of fan for an hour of burning sounds like a controller or logic problem.
    The "SIX PROBES "were used in the DEVELOPMENT of the Memphis controllers to acquire an average. That goes back a long way.
Pages:
Actions