Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > recteq

New 1070 ? Anyone have one?

<< < (2/6) > >>

02ebz06:
I was looking at the RT1070 too.

Having the burn pot outside the grill is a double-edged sword.  East to clean, but all that heat coming off the sides is wasted.
I think temp only goes to 450 too, fine for BBQ but could be too low for other things.

okie smokie:
I am fully aware of the range of fluctuations that occur with both the older controls and PID.

1. variations in temp distribution on the grates:  I am not talking about that at all. In fact the BS has a more symmetrical distribution and has less temp difference on left, center, and right than any grill I have tested. Traeger Lil Tex, Blaz'n, or Recteq.  At low temps I found only 18* less on left, and 16* less on right than the center temp. I credit symmetry of design for that. No complaint there.

2. I am talking about what you "set" and what you really get from the control. Example: I set it at 225* and it will overshoot to 300* and then drift down to 225* and stay there most of the time. These are temps on the control window. However, with my Square Dot certified oven probe in the middle of the grates, the temp is never stable and averages 249* the first hour. The temp on the square D then gradually climbs up to 274*+- (not averaged) during the second hour, with occasional drops to around 208, and then back up to 270 range. All of this time the temp on the smoker control is almost always on 225* (where  I set it) and does not very except a degree on two either way. This gives the impression of good control. Meanwhile the real temp is all over the place, and averaging higher each hour.  When the control reads 225/225 and the actual is 274 in the middle (256 on left, 274 middle and 254 on right), that is not acceptable fluctuation.
It is known that temps show more variation with low/slow settings (fan going off and on). In fact, CampChef explains this in their own advertising of their new PID control on the Woodwind. But the temps should average out at the "set" temp. That does not happen on the Beale Street. On a 90* day, the fan is off for almost all the time when on a "smoke" setting. I mean less than 30 seconds of fan time for and hour at 225*. I think this is the culprit in my case.  There is no "convection" when the fan is off and heat builds up as the ash pile grows in the fire pot. Again, CampChef advises that the temps will be higher during these swings but will even out (see their ad) on their machine.  This does not happen in my BS.

3. Each time I have tested, the results are similar but different. High temp tests are also all over the place and vary with each repeat.

4. Conclusion: Bad control?????? BS control is NOT ITC3!  It is ITC by name but not 3. They are vague in the ads. Also, It looks different as well. Also, I note that there are almost no objective test results on any platform I have seen.

5. The only low/slow cooks i have done are ribs and a tri tip. Have had to shorten the cook time on all, and I did get overdone ribs twice even tho I tried to avoid it. The trip tip was fine because I used my Meater Probe but the time was short.

Sorry for the windy review Dave, but this is what you asked for. My apologies for taking up too much space.

okie smokie:

--- Quote from: 02ebz06 on August 01, 2022, 09:57:59 AM ---I was looking at the RT1070 too.

Having the burn pot outside the grill is a double-edged sword.  East to clean, but all that heat coming off the sides is wasted.
I think temp only goes to 450 too, fine for BBQ but could be too low for other things.

--- End quote ---
Not sure about position of fire pot, but the temps you quote are not correct.  1070 is rated at 700* on HIGH. It has the 3 rpm auger motor, as the 590 now has.

02ebz06:

--- Quote from: okie smokie on August 01, 2022, 10:53:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: 02ebz06 on August 01, 2022, 09:57:59 AM ---I was looking at the RT1070 too.

--- End quote ---
Not sure about position of fire pot, but the temps you quote are not correct.  1070 is rated at 700* on HIGH. It has the 3 rpm auger motor, as the 590 now has.

--- End quote ---

My bad, maybe I got it confused with a different one.  I have been looking at a lot lately.

EDIT: Yeah, I was thinking of a different grill.  sorry about that.

Bar-B-Lew:
Okie, do you have the same issues if you have temp set at 275°?  I use that temp for almost all smoking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View