Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by marilyn777 on 01 Aug 2022
  • Hello, everyone, I just found and joined this forum today. I'm looking forward to exploring it. My question is: I'm having 14 teeth removed all at once on August 9th, I've never experienced this before, so I'm not sure what to expect. Does anyone have any food suggestions/recipes to share that may help during the healing process. I assume only soft/mashed/blended foods for a while? :)
  • #2 by GREG-B on 01 Aug 2022
  • Couldn't even begin to advise you on what kind of foods to prepare for.  ??? Not sure a BBQ (mostly meats) is the best forum to join at this time, but, I'm sure somebody has lots of ideas for softer foods to prepare.  Good luck with your procedure and soon you can chaw on some great ribs.   :cool:
  • #3 by urnmor on 01 Aug 2022
  • Only thing that comes to mind would be mashed potatoes, maybe baked.  You could try fish or maybe chicken if you have a blender, however I suspect the best source of advice would be your dentist and I suspect he might recommend baby food for a couple of days.
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 02 Aug 2022
  • Yogurt, smoothies with with well blended fruit, smooth/clear soups (or even smooth, blended soups like a blended gazpacho), fruit juices, pudding, soft polenta.

I would make sure you check them all out with your dentist as there may be some things that could be bad for healing gums. A friend's husband went through the same thing recently and drank a lot of protein shakes because doc was very limiting on what he could have on healing gums.  I will ask her what he ate.
  • #5 by Bentley on 02 Aug 2022
  • Pureed carrots with butter and brown sugar!
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 02 Aug 2022
  • Welcome to the forum Marilyn,

I would guess all liquids, chicken broth, beef broth, etc.  You don't want anything getting stuck in the open wounds.
    I'm sure your Dentist will give you guidelines.

He/She will probably have you do a lot of rinsing with salt water as well.

Hope you have a fast recovery.
  • #7 by pmillen on 02 Aug 2022
  • Welcome aboard from Omaha, NE.

I, too, suspect that your oral surgeon will provide food instructions.  Here's a wish for the results you hope to receive.

RE:  Your avatar—a Sandhill Crane?  Thousands migrate back and forth, north/south, through Nebraska every year.  The view is astounding.
  • #8 by Hank D Thoreau on 02 Aug 2022
  • My wife is a year and a half into reconstruction, so she has gone through this on multiple occasions.

You should be given eating instructions by the dentist. It helps is you get the instructions before the procedure so you can get the right food ahead of time while you are feeling better.

The instructions should also tell you what not to eat and for how long.

In my wife's case she was limited to clear liquids for the first few days. She relied a lot of bottled bone broth. She would mix bottled broth with frozen cubes of home made broth to add more flavor.

There is an Ensure that is clear but you have to make sure you get the right one. Also, Gatorade and jello.

After this initial post-surgical period she was limited to soft food. I gave her a soup maker for Christmas a couple of years ago and she would make some excellent vegetable soups, such as potato leak (or fennel) and tomato, often with vegetables from our garden.

If you have bone grafts then you will have stitches. It is real important that you don't do anything to harm the stitches. Her oral surgeon tells the story of a guy who ate a chocolate chip cookie and screwed up $10,000 of work.

He ended up adding chocolate chip cookies to his list of foods not to eat.

Good soft foods to start with are apple sauce, jello, pudding, mashed potatoes. Soft white fish like tilapia is great when you get to the point where you can handle it.

I just finished cooking tilapia for my wife.

My wife is nearing the end of her process. What she can eat depended on the work that had been done and the state of her mouth. It is now about what she is able to eat. We cooked a turkey and pork meatloaf, which she could handle.

After you get past the initial healing period then it is about what you are able to eat with the missing teeth.

When her work is done she should be able to eat anything.
  • #9 by SmokinHandyman on 04 Aug 2022
  • Steak and corn on the cob
  • #10 by hughver on 04 Aug 2022
  • My wife is a year and a half into reconstruction, so she has gone through this on multiple occasions.

You should be given eating instructions by the dentist. It helps is you get the instructions before the procedure so you can get the right food ahead of time while you are feeling better.

The instructions should also tell you what not to eat and for how long.

In my wife's case she was limited to clear liquids for the first few days. She relied a lot of bottled bone broth. She would mix bottled broth with frozen cubes of home made broth to add more flavor.

There is an Ensure that is clear but you have to make sure you get the right one. Also, Gatorade and jello.

After this initial post-surgical period she was limited to soft food. I gave her a soup maker for Christmas a couple of years ago and she would make some excellent vegetable soups, such as potato leak (or fennel) and tomato, often with vegetables from our garden.

If you have bone grafts then you will have stitches. It is real important that you don't do anything to harm the stitches. Her oral surgeon tells the story of a guy who ate a chocolate chip cookie and screwed up $10,000 of work.

He ended up adding chocolate chip cookies to his list of foods not to eat.

Good soft foods to start with are apple sauce, jello, pudding, mashed potatoes. Soft white fish like tilapia is great when you get to the point where you can handle it.

I just finished cooking tilapia for my wife.

My wife is nearing the end of her process. What she can eat depended on the work that had been done and the state of her mouth. It is now about what she is able to eat. We cooked a turkey and pork meatloaf, which she could handle.

After you get past the initial healing period then it is about what you are able to eat with the missing teeth.

When her work is done she should be able to eat anything.

Hank, great tutorial, thanks for posting. I'm going to have my two wisdom teeth removed shortly and was told that there would be stiches involved. Lots of insight in your post. My two teeth are being removed because the matching lower teeth have been gone for over 70 years and they serve no useful purpose.
Pages:
Actions