Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Memphis

Possible Solution for Weak WiFi on your Memphis Grills

(1/5) > >>

okie smokie:
Have noticed that WiFi is on/off with the Beale Street and note that others complain about it as well.  Two points were apparent to me:
1.  Distance from your router can be one problem. Walls, metal appliances all subtract from the signal, and also how many other items are using wifi at the same time. Or just a weak wifi system.
2.  Your Memphis grill is all metal and may be in the way of the signal unless you position it with the antenna facing the router.

So I said to myself, "Self" what can you do with a weak signal.  Answer, "Boost It".  Well I can't do that because it is all that ATT can provide in my area.  So I said to myself again, "Self" how can I get better reception of the signal at my Memphis?  Answer: with a better antenna! So I got on Amazon and looked for bigger antenna offering a stronger reception and found one!  Instead of a dinky 2" length, it is about 7.5" long and gives a 6+ decibel increase.  Or so it says. For $8 and change I got two of them and exchanged my antenna with one.  Had the BS plugged in all day today, not turned on, but the wifi light is solid green, meaning it is receiving a good signal. Time will tell but I am confident that this will do the job.  So for those of you who have the wifi equipped Memphis grills and who have had wifi problems, this may be a cheap fix. BUT be careful what you order.  This is a BINGFU SMS (NOT RPSMS) MALE CONNECTOR ANTENNA. The difference is that the add on piece has a protruding center wire. The wrong one RPSMS has a hole instead.  And Bingfu makes both types and they look identical until you look into the adapter end. see pic below for size difference of old and new. Second pic shows correct SMS MALE on the new antenna.

:clap: :clap:

Canadian John:

"Self" did a good job @ diagnosing the problem & finding a good fix.  One less Memphis hurdle overcome.

As stated, this may help others with  Wi-Fi dropout issues. 

02ebz06:
Great Idea!!!  And a lot cheaper than what I did for the Elite.

I put a WIFI Extender in my family room (router is in garage) and that solve it for me.

okie smokie:
I guess a bit of caution is in order since I have not proven success over a longer period. I will test it daily for a while and make sure it works consistently.

Bar-B-Lew:
I suspected it was a cheap part in the grill causing the issue.  You should be able to get decent wifi on your patio from within the house.  I have a Google mesh wifi network and get really good reception everywhere in the house, garage, patio, yard...  That is another option for folks but is not cheap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View