Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > recteq

New 1070 On Board

(1/8) > >>

okie smokie:
Ordered Friday at 4 PM. Shipped on Monday and received on Wednesday (1000 miles!), and assembled same day. Easy assembly, and a structurally sound pit. My son had told me that the new recteq wifi app was a great improvement. It was a no brainer to download and install. Just a few clicks and it did all the previously required entry of data. I then did the 400* 1 hour burn in, and was a perfect performance. The "actual" overshot 17* in the first 12 minute and then settled back to 400 at 16 minutes. From then on the "actual" drifted down 1* and up 1* once for the whole hour. Shutdown without a hitch. I may test with my personal probes tomorrow, but if it is like the 590, the temps will be close enough not to require adjustment. But with the RT you can adjust so that it reads out accurately +- 25*.  I like the new cast iron heat diffuser and the second shelf will be handy as well. The SS lid fits better than the lid on my 590. RT goes out of the way to advise not using any lid insulation, and confirms that the leaking lids do not affect cooking results. Really stout cover that fits well. Will see how well it works for me. The upper grate, stores as a shelf in the cabinet, but prevents me from storing my spare pellet box below but lots of other junk will go there.

Bar-B-Lew:
Nice looking grill and a great price.  Anxious to hear more about it.

okie smokie:
Had some concern about the heat loss thru the bottom, but when I pulled the grease drawer out and looked inside, the bottom of the barrel is heavily insulated with a thick foil lined insulation pad. Also, access to the control, auger motor and fan looks to be similar to the the Beale Street but I won't open it unless a need arrises. I suspect that the whole front panel either comes off or swings down. For sure the sheet metal at 16 gauge is much more rigid than the 18 gauge on the BS was. Even without the side shelves, the pit is heavier than the BS also. The top of the hopper makes a nice work shelf, and has a cute way of opening to load 30 lbs of pellets (as compared with 12lbs).  I think the wheels are a bit bigger also and all four can be locked so if one lock is not protruding on one side, you can use the one on the other side. Surely can't reach all four at the same position.? Standard 4 inch bread pan, disposable fits right into the grease drawer, so no mess to empty. In the past I have been a drip tray foil guy, but I think leaving the drip pan naked, and using a large putty knife to scrape it down after drippy cooks will be easier. The cabinet seems stout enough to me, but the magnets that keep the doors closed are too weak. Will see if I can correct that. I like the narrower appearance and space requirements. The front shelf is more than adequate. There are no tool hooks, but will find some elsewhere.

ScottE:
Very nice! I love my RT-1250, they are great, well built pits with an excellent controller.

02ebz06:
Nice looking grill.  Congrats!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View