Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLED TURKEY  (Read 2902 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
PULLED TURKEY
« on: October 05, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »

Our local turkey farm started selling it so we gave it a try.. Results;a bit costly with super taste and texture..We went on to do our own. We have done several, the first ones a bit rough around the edges.That is could be better...  Now it is spot on..What we did was to  smoke a large, skinless,boneless and seasoned breast for just over an hour then raised  the temperature to 375º until just under 160º internal,cover + rest ~ 3/4 hr...Juicy is an understatement. Next came the pulling; hard to do with turkey just work @ it and chop as well.  Sauce heavily as the meat absorbs a lot. It is hard to believe with all the juices present that it would..Best to leave it and eat the next day. Keeps absorbing sauce. It may very well require more sauce then...By us the result was splendid.

The sauce we like best is our homemade ketchup base sauce..Some off the shelf BBQ sauces are good as well.     Give it a try and let us know the results.

urnmor

Re: PULLED TURKEY
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »

Other then my friend Queball you have some of the best BBQing ideas around  :cool:

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:15:58 AM »

Mmmmmm, and what was left over I would make a BBQ chicken pizza. You are the second person this week on here to make me want pizza for breakfast.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Saddleman

• Using less gas.
  • Vini,Vidi,Vici
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »

This looks like work pull and chopping the meat. I have used my brides  kitchenAid blender with the heavy mixer blade. But you have to watch how long you blend it because you can end up with a paste. But it works really well for street tacos using turkey or chicken.
If you’re looking it’s not cooking.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »

Other then my friend Queball you have some of the best BBQing ideas around  :cool:

I miss Queball not being active on here.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »

Yes, he was a font of great information and cooks and had tremendous photos of his food.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:45:44 PM »

Yes, he was a font of great information and cooks and had tremendous photos of his food.

Maybe he is putting a book together with those beautiful recipes and process steps he used to share.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 08:51:55 AM »

Our local turkey farm started selling it so we gave it a try.. Results;a bit costly with super taste and texture..We went on to do our own. We have done several, the first ones a bit rough around the edges.That is could be better...  Now it is spot on..What we did was to  smoke a large, skinless,boneless and seasoned breast for just over an hour then raised  the temperature to 375º until just under 160º internal,cover + rest ~ 3/4 hr...Juicy is an understatement. Next came the pulling; hard to do with turkey just work @ it and chop as well.  Sauce heavily as the meat absorbs a lot. It is hard to believe with all the juices present that it would..Best to leave it and eat the next day. Keeps absorbing sauce. It may very well require more sauce then...By us the result was splendid.

The sauce we like best is our homemade ketchup base sauce..Some off the shelf BBQ sauces are good as well.     Give it a try and let us know the results.

Bump!

John, I'm going to try this on a couple of breasts for pulled/sauced but also for chicken (turkey) chili. 
  • The only time I've smoked a turkey breast I didn't brine it and it was so dry it sucked all of the moisture out of our mouths.  Do you brine yours?
  • You smoked it first and then turned the pit up to 375°.  At what temperature is your pit when in smoke mode?

Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »

The GF wanted some chicken breast cooked for a dish her grandfather wanted her to make, I asked her how she wanted she wanted it shredded. I did them sous vide 138/7  and it was so nice to shred or pull. She she even remarked how soft and juicy it was.

I would think if you were to SV then smoke at 150 for an hour or smoke then SV even some cold smoke for a an hour before or after SV may work well.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »

Paul, No I don't brine..I smoke ~ 225º for ~ 1HR, then cook 325-350º until done @ 160º ish. I do use Memphis Dust applied ~ 1Hr Prior to the cook.. Never ever dry.

Bump!

John, I'm going to try this on a couple of breasts for pulled/sauced but also for chicken (turkey) chili. 
  • The only time I've smoked a turkey breast I didn't brine it and it was so dry it sucked all of the moisture out of our mouths.  Do you brine yours?
  • You smoked it first and then turned the pit up to 375°.  At what temperature is your pit when in smoke mode?
Pages: [1]   Go Up