Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind.  (Read 460 times)

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind.
« on: August 19, 2022, 03:43:27 PM »

Has anyone tried it?
Saw something yesterday about it and it sounds pretty dang good. I am going to give it a go but have no idea where to get the pickled rind. We aren’t opposed to pickling our own but having never tried it, not sure which recipe to try?
Anyone have any input?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 03:49:15 PM »

Don't know where you would buy pickled watermelon rind.  My Mom always made ours from a great recipe from my Aunt Betty that I am more than willing to share.  But I have had trouble making them because it seems that "modern" watermelons don't have much of a rind.  But boy are they good -- at least when you use Betty's recipe!

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 05:44:05 PM »

Don't know where you would buy pickled watermelon rind.  My Mom always made ours from a great recipe from my Aunt Betty that I am more than willing to share.  But I have had trouble making them because it seems that "modern" watermelons don't have much of a rind.  But boy are they good -- at least when you use Betty's recipe!
Oh yes, please share. Something about this has piqued my interest.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 07:19:02 PM »

Betty's Watermelon Pickles

Remove the green and pink portions of the watermelon rind after serving slices. Cut into inch square pieces.  Cover with water and add a half cup of salt.  Soak overnight. (Sorry, she does not give any quantities for rind or water.  My Mom would use the rind of a whole watermelon and put in a pretty big container to soak.)

Drain.  Add fresh water and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.  Drain again and cook the rinds in the sweet pickle syrup until clear.  Seal in sterilized jars.

Sweet Pickle Syrup

2 parts white sugar to 1 part vinegar.  Have mixture come to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 5 minutes.  Put some stick cinnamon in the syrup when you start cooking it.

Sorry, this is the entire recipe. I think Southern women of a certain generation who cooked simply thought everyone would know the details!  My Mom did note that one watermelon usually needed 5 cups of  vinegar and 10 cups of sugar.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 04:41:01 PM »

Has anyone tried it?
Saw something yesterday about it and it sounds pretty dang good. I am going to give it a go but have no idea where to get the pickled rind. We aren’t opposed to pickling our own but having never tried it, not sure which recipe to try?
Anyone have any input?

Couldn't be too bad if it has bacon wrapped around it.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 12:00:19 PM »

Anyone have any input?

Yeah, I have a suggestion.  DON’T DO IT!

It sounds awful.  But I’m willing to maintain objectivity and wait for the reports.  I’ve changed my mind before.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 12:56:46 PM »

Never had it bacon wrapped, but the regular pickled rinds are good.  A bit sweet for me, almost like a softer candied ginger!  The bacon would probably help cut the sweetness, so might be interesting!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 05:19:48 PM »

A local farm to table restaurant has bacon wrapped pickled rind as an appetizer.    I must admit I was skeptical, but it is really quite good.   Not sure I would go to the trouble to make at home, but definitely order it every time I dine there.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle
Pages: [1]   Go Up