Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoked Salsa  (Read 321 times)

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Smoked Salsa
« on: August 24, 2022, 12:13:42 PM »

Did eleven pints of this yesterday. Left it on the smoker for 2.5 hours at 150, with stirring it occasionally. Was really impressed with the smoke flavor of it. Used the Mrs. Wages medium salsa mix along with ACV and white vinegar (50/50 of each). Tomatoes and peppers from the garden. After blanching the tomatoes (I plant romas), I squeezed them to get rid of as many seeds as I could and then drained the excess water off them. I just am not a watery salsa type of guy.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Re: Smoked Salsa
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 12:16:27 PM »

How do you store it?  It looks great and smoked salsa sounds delicious.  :lick:
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Clonesmoker

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 02:27:15 PM »

How do you store it?  It looks great and smoked salsa sounds delicious.  :lick:

I cooked it on the stove first and then put in on the smoker. Canned all of it just like we do with regular salsa. When we can salsa,  we put it in the dishwasher and run it to seal the jars.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 05:28:13 PM »

Dishwasher?? Could you please elaborate. Sounds interesting. Do you freeze after sealing?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 07:57:54 PM »

I am a thick salsa guy too!  Roma is a great variety for this use!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Brushpopper

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 08:51:06 AM »

Dishwasher?? Could you please elaborate. Sounds interesting. Do you freeze after sealing?
Please elaborate.  My brother and our neighbor pressure cans everything but I'm curious about this method.

Clonesmoker

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 10:26:46 AM »

My wife picked up on the dishwasher method of canning 10-15 years ago. First thing you do is sterilize the, jars, rings and lids. Second, fill the jars, and give them at least a 1/4" or more of space to the top of the jar. Third, put in the lids and tighten with the rings, be sure to wipe off any excess products if it on on the rim of the jar. Third, we put the jars on the top rack of the dishwasher and then run the pots-n-pans cycle No detegerent)with hi-temp wash/rinse or what ever setting it takes to get the hottest cycle and let the dishwasher run until finished. Sometimes I will just let it run the wash cycle and then cancel the rest of the cycle since the salsa has already been cooked thoroughly all you want is for it to get hot enough for the seals to work. Take them out an let them sit for awhile and you will hear the lids "pop" meaning it is sealed.

I know that this is not the preferred method and extension services from universities do not recommend doing it this way, but since the salsa is already cooked through and has vinegar in it the chances for bacteria are low. I've done bread and butter pickles and jalepenos that way, pepper relish, sweet pickled hot peppers. I don't know if I would recommend doing this method for everything you are canning. Just letting you know the process we take.

Brushpopper

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 10:55:40 AM »

Very interesting.  I've never heard of such but apparently it works.  That's all that matters.  This is such an informative forum.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 01:39:20 PM »

My wife picked up on the dishwasher method of canning 10-15 years ago. First thing you do is sterilize the, jars, rings and lids. Second, fill the jars, and give them at least a 1/4" or more of space to the top of the jar. Third, put in the lids and tighten with the rings, be sure to wipe off any excess products if it on on the rim of the jar. Third, we put the jars on the top rack of the dishwasher and then run the pots-n-pans cycle No detegerent)with hi-temp wash/rinse or what ever setting it takes to get the hottest cycle and let the dishwasher run until finished. Sometimes I will just let it run the wash cycle and then cancel the rest of the cycle since the salsa has already been cooked thoroughly all you want is for it to get hot enough for the seals to work. Take them out an let them sit for awhile and you will hear the lids "pop" meaning it is sealed.

I know that this is not the preferred method and extension services from universities do not recommend doing it this way, but since the salsa is already cooked through and has vinegar in it the chances for bacteria are low. I've done bread and butter pickles and jalepenos that way, pepper relish, sweet pickled hot peppers. I don't know if I would recommend doing this method for everything you are canning. Just letting you know the process we take.

Do you then store in the pantry, fridge, or freezer?  If in pantry, do you keep in fridge once opening?  If in pantry, how long do you think they last before having to open, eat, and/or refrigerate?

Sorry for all of the questions.  I am wanting to learn more about this as your process makes the hardest part to me easier.  I have avoided jarring things because it seemed like more effort than I wanted to put into it before this dishwasher method.  I had read about it before, but having someone with experience is getting us a better overview.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Clonesmoker

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 03:07:45 PM »

Do you then store in the pantry, fridge, or freezer?  If in pantry, do you keep in fridge once opening?  If in pantry, how long do you think they last before having to open, eat, and/or refrigerate?

Sorry for all of the questions.  I am wanting to learn more about this as your process makes the hardest part to me easier.  I have avoided jarring things because it seemed like more effort than I wanted to put into it before this dishwasher method.  I had read about it before, but having someone with experience is getting us a better overview.

Like a lot of people we just store our canned items in the basement on a shelf. Once, a jar is open we keep it in the fridge. We've had salsa that is two years old on the shelf. I had some pickles that were three years old that were a little dark in color on the top, so like the saying says, "when in doubt, throw it out."  I made some rhurbarb syrup that I canned this summer and still have it on the shelf yet that I will be curious to open a jar up soon to see how it is. I boiled the stuff down from 20 cups to get almost 2.5 pints so I shouldn't have a bacteria problem. My next thing to can will be sweet relish. 

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 07:36:37 AM »

Interesting with the dishwasher. I also had never heard of it.

Growing up Woman canned a lot of things, she had the water bath canners but used the pressure cooker most of the time.

Some things she just jarred hot. I would imagine if she made salsa she would have done it that way.

For example she would make apple butter in the big blue oval roaster pans in the oven. I loved when she did that the house just smelled great. Then have her jars ready and when she took it out of the oven jarred and lidded and left them sit and seal. If she made jelly it was done the same way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up