Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati chile  (Read 475 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Cincinnati chile
« on: August 27, 2022, 01:57:09 PM »

Ihave made Chile in the past however this was the first time I made Cincinnati Chile.  Although IMO it takes a lot longer to make I really liked it.  It was both sweet and spicy.  The extra time is in cooking the meat in water and skimming the scum and oil off the top. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Cincinnati chile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 04:16:50 PM »

The stuff we had in Cincinnati 2 years ago is not for me!  Glad you like it!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 05:23:17 PM »

Did your recipe call for cinnamon?

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 09:11:10 PM »

Did your recipe call for cinnamon?

yes it called for a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.  The other ingredients are 2 pounds of beef with 5 cups of water brought to a boil and then reduced to a simmer for about 40 minutes swimming the scum and fat .  The add an onion finely chopped, garlic minced 1 can of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce, 3 tablespoon of hili powder, 2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 ground coriander . 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves, black pepper to taste.

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 09:12:42 PM »

The stuff we had in Cincinnati 2 years ago is not for me!  Glad you like it!

I will agree it is quite different then what aim use to I believe it is because of the way the meat is prepared and the addition of cocoa.

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 11:32:59 PM »

I think Cinci chili is one of those things you love or hate. I am one of those folks that really enjoys it. Skyline Chili is probably the most famous chain that serves it, but there is a chili place with a couple of locations in the general area called Blue Ash that is a little better. Unfortunately they had so many interesting and different things on the menu I got a number of them and the combination left me with quite the stomach ache. They do chili cheese dogs that you can replace the hot dog with a deep fried dill pickle spear as well as with fried jalapeno caps, and they offered poutine.   
Mak 2 Star General #1799

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 07:09:37 AM »

I was not a fan.  The cinnamon really put me off.

urnmor

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 08:17:48 AM »

It does make for a slightly different taste.  I guess it is just one of many versions of Chile. 

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 10:09:56 AM »

I lived in Cincinnati for a few years.  I thought is was having spaghetti with cinnamon in it.
I have bought it in cans though, to make the Skyline Chili Dip.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 05:29:04 AM »

Gotta join the “not a fan” club.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 07:06:05 AM »

I have heard of it but never had it or really knew what it was. I went looking for more info. I would probably give it a shot, not fond of the really fine meat.
The GF would not eat it after one bite because of the cinnamon. Not that she doesn't like it, but because she would not be expecting it and that would throw her off and she would be done. I put a little cinnamon in some brownies  one time, she tried one and wouldn't eat any more because they did not taste like she was used to for a brownie.

urnmor

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 08:16:39 AM »

I have heard of it but never had it or really knew what it was. I went looking for more info. I would probably give it a shot, not fond of the really fine meat.
The GF would not eat it after one bite because of the cinnamon. Not that she doesn't like it, but because she would not be expecting it and that would throw her off and she would be done. I put a little cinnamon in some brownies  one time, she tried one and wouldn't eat any more because they did not taste like she was used to for a brownie.

I clearly understand that I will not eat cabbage except in cold slaw because of the smell and this is especially true when it comes to sauerkraut.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2022, 10:44:04 AM »

We don't find much Cincinnati chili in Michigan, but I do like it (and the cinnamon flavoring). However, I absolutely love Skyline Chili! It is probably more because of the experience rather than the chili itself.

I was camping in Ohio about 15 years ago with my son, who would have been around 9 years old. We were driving back to the campground and we were both very hungry. I didn't have much cash on me, but enough for a couple of chili dogs at Skyline to hold us over till we could cook dinner. When we sat down the waitress asked if we had ever been there before. I told her I had, but my son had not. She said since it was my son's first visit, anything he ordered was free. He loaded up with 5 way chili and a cony dog. I ordered a cony dog and chili cheese fries. Since we shared the fries, the waitress put them on my son's bill. When the order came, she offered him a bib to protect his shirt and even tied it in back for him! When we left, they gave him a can cozie filled with their oyster crackers and a few other freebies, along with a couple of coupons for free chili-dogs on a future visit. Their customer service sure left quite an impression! We still talk about that visit. Last year he was very surprised to find Skyline Chili in a grocery store and picked up a can and wrapped it up for me for Christmas.
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »

We don't find much Cincinnati chili in Michigan, but I do like it (and the cinnamon flavoring). However, I absolutely love Skyline Chili! It is probably more because of the experience rather than the chili itself.

I was camping in Ohio about 15 years ago with my son, who would have been around 9 years old. We were driving back to the campground and we were both very hungry. I didn't have much cash on me, but enough for a couple of chili dogs at Skyline to hold us over till we could cook dinner. When we sat down the waitress asked if we had ever been there before. I told her I had, but my son had not. She said since it was my son's first visit, anything he ordered was free. He loaded up with 5 way chili and a cony dog. I ordered a cony dog and chili cheese fries. Since we shared the fries, the waitress put them on my son's bill. When the order came, she offered him a bib to protect his shirt and even tied it in back for him! When we left, they gave him a can cozie filled with their oyster crackers and a few other freebies, along with a couple of coupons for free chili-dogs on a future visit. Their customer service sure left quite an impression! We still talk about that visit. Last year he was very surprised to find Skyline Chili in a grocery store and picked up a can and wrapped it up for me for Christmas.

I enjoy eating there and the wait staff typically seems to be very polite. We like to buy the cans of chili at the store and we do lower carb spaghetti and make 3 ways at home. When the kids were young they weren't sure about the chili, but over time decided they love it. Mostly I think the love the mountain of shredded cheese.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2022, 07:22:12 PM »

I make a ground beef & pasta casserole that I got off of this site that uses cinnamon that I like very much, the beef sauce that I use for Musaka also uses cinnamon.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up