Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Not sure which way to Go...  (Read 778 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Not sure which way to Go...
« on: September 07, 2022, 06:36:49 PM »

So a friend that we have dinner with and I go to a meeting with every Friday brings this by this afternoon and says why don't we have this for dinner Friday instead of the usual pizza!  I say Great, have never cooked a "Tomahawk" Rib-eye, but always up for a new challenge.

I am not a big fan of Sous Vide for Beef for the Quality cuts, as most of the time, I do not care for the texture, so that is out for me.  This is a 3.5lb. cut, so even with the bone, a pretty nice hunk of Beef!  I am flip flopping back and forth on which way to go.  Start it on the Memphis Pro at about 600° for about 20 minutes with a turn every 5 minutes to get the crust and marks, and finish at 400° till 125°...Or, start out with the lower temperature and finish with the grilling?

I am of the mind set that I will have more control over the finished product if I go with the former technique! I figure the IT will be in the 85° to 100° range if I grill 1st, and the remaining low temp cook will be easier to control and pull so we get that prefect Medium (having to make a concession on finished doneness) if I get Hot out of the way 1st!

Guess we will see how it come out Friday.  I would like to see a bit more marbling in it, but free is good!  Also debating on cutting that fat down!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
Re: Not sure which way to Go...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 06:37:43 PM »

This is the time when I wish I had a bandsaw for that fat!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 06:54:50 PM »

I found the cutting before the finishing heat interesting!  I wish he would have said the temps of the low end ovens!

How Legendary NY Steakhouse Peter Luger Makes the Perfect Steak
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 06:56:22 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 07:00:27 PM »

I cant say it for certain it was for him, but I chuckled when they brought the Cheeseburger out with the steak!  My kind of owner, you are in one of The Most famous Steakhouses and you eat a burger

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 07:02:27 PM »

Any guesses as to what the side was on the far right at the end?  I have no clue.  Creamed Spinach on left, one of my favorite Steakhouse sides!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 08:14:18 PM »

Based on my experiences of grill fires, I like your first option.  You can pull the meat off while you get the temp down to 400 degrees.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 08:35:24 PM »

Any guesses as to what the side was on the far right at the end?  I have no clue.  Creamed Spinach on left, one of my favorite Steakhouse sides!

Looked at Peter Luger's website and I think those are the German Style fried potatoes.
FE PG 1000

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 09:10:33 PM »

I would go for hot first also, sealing in the juices? Would take off a lot of that fat to avoid a 3 alarm when searing.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 10:50:14 AM »

The potatoes make sense!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 11:55:19 AM »

Start it on the Memphis Pro at about 600° for about 20 minutes with a turn every 5 minutes to get the crust and marks, and finish at 400° till 125°...Or, start out with the lower temperature and finish with the grilling?

I am of the mind set that I will have more control over the finished product if I go with the former technique!

I went from pre-sear to reverse-sear and then back to pre-sear for better temperature control.  But I was recently told of a Kansas State University study that proved that the reverse-sear method retained more weight.  That means that less liquid was lost when reverse-searing, which must mean it results in a juicer steak.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 01:56:57 PM »

I suppose I'll throw in my  :2cents: for all it's worth.

I've cooked a handful of these and the reverse sear method IMO provides an easier path to success.  I set it on smoke, maybe 180 or so for an hour, get the gasser up to 700 and then constantly probe check the temp.   A lengthy rest is called for as well. 

DK

PS I did much smaller rib eyes just last weekend for a crowd of 10 on a home made smoker (I think I must have posted that smoker on PH, couldn't find the link, but it's still kicking at our bug out campsite) and then over a live alder wood fire.  Turned out amazing.  But I wouldn't have been able to control the IT without a reverse sear. 
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 01:58:28 PM »

We have tomahawk steaks several times every year.  I use Matt Pittman's recipe that can be found on Traeger's website.  The recipe smokes the steaks at 225 until an internal temperature of 120 is reached and then reverse sear.  I use my gasser for the sear.  This recipe works well with tri-tip also. 

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 02:11:25 PM »

I also vote for reverse sear. Coincidently, I'm doing a 2"(1lb. 13oz) NY steak for supper tonight. I'm going to thaw, trim season, vacuum pack, sous vide and sear. I have no problem with 4 hour sous vide @ 128° texture.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 04:18:22 PM »

Not a fan of the reverse sear.  Dont care for the way the texture of the meat comes out!

Fire708

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Shelton!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 12:27:04 PM »

For thick cuts of meat I like to pan roast in the kitchen. I always read that meat doesn’t absorb any smoke flavor over 180 so I figure it’s not gonna matter. It would be easy to adapt to outdoor cooking though. Sear in a cast iron pan, flip and transfer to the pellet grill till IT it where you want it.

I do like to reverse sear 1” and under though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up