Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 07 Sep 2022
  • Runs on wood chips, I would think pellets would work in it also, but no info on that part.

https://riptgrills.com/pages/ript-lander?fbclid=IwAR00fuDf8IoWxcHMJRi_TwobGUXkXwadn1TShxqPLauDhym73c_q0qXj6yk
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Sep 2022
  • interesting claim that it is cleaner than pellets
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 08 Sep 2022
  • Curious to see how different these really are. I would think the biggest change would be the diameter of the auger. Also would probably have to go with their chips because they have them sized to work with it. I have never seen large bags of chips only smaller maybe 3-5 pound bags and some of them have some pretty long slivers in them. The auger probably won't be breaking them up like the pellet auger does.

I like my GMG not the heaviest built unit out there but it works well, with no issues. I would need to get rid of 2 or 4 of my cooking toys to have room for it and the appease the Gods well Goddess.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 08 Sep 2022

•   Looks interesting.  Just enough info to arouse curiosity.

" CHIPS".  That's the million dollar question. Cost & availability if special chips are required. Sort of a dejas vu - Traeger @ the onslaught with their pellets..  If the chip idea doesn't catch on the pit may become

a  large paperweight.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 08 Sep 2022
  • Next will be your own private chipper. Just feed small logs into it, and get the proper sized chips. ???   
  • #6 by Bentley on 08 Sep 2022
  • They have been talking about it on the SF&F site for about 2 weeks.  I was trying to find weight & price for chips to see how fuel compares, but seems they sell chips by volume, so I had trouble finding out price comparison to pellets.  Would love a chance to cook on one and see if the smoke profile is any different.

There has been debate on who Manufacture is or is associated with, since it is almost identical to the GMG design.
  • #7 by Canadian John on 08 Sep 2022
  •  Perhaps I was too quick to judge as wood chip boilers have been around for many years. 

The wood chip pit idea came from there.  That's what Joe Traeger did using wood pellet heating knowhow.

There is lots of info on wood chip boilers & heaters.. Some of the technology is very advanced relative to our pellet pits.

Back to wood chips.  I would think wood chips would be less costly to produce than pellets based on the process & machinery.   We'll have to see what the cost of "food grade" wood chips ends up being..

• #8 by pmillen on 08 Sep 2022
  • Another outdoor cooking device that I'd like to test, but buying to test is usually a loosing proposition for me.
  • #9 by elenis on 09 Sep 2022
  • Perhaps I was too quick to judge as wood chip boilers have been around for many years. 

The wood chip pit idea came from there.  That's what Joe Traeger did using wood pellet heating knowhow.

There is lots of info on wood chip boilers & heaters.. Some of the technology is very advanced relative to our pellet pits.

Back to wood chips.  I would think wood chips would be less costly to produce than pellets based on the process & machinery.   We'll have to see what the cost of "food grade" wood chips ends up being..

Potentially cheaper to make, but our pellets are just made from all the sawdust from regular operations that they normally would have had to dispose of. I don't imagine people are grinding up whole trees into sawdust to extrude for our pellets. The most expensive cost for things these days seems to be shipping so if the chips take up more volume for the same weight it would end up costing more.
  • #10 by MP09 on 09 Sep 2022
  • As the old saying goes, STAY TUNED!
Pages:
Actions